Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public indemnity policy

Options
  • 16-08-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of buying a house. As part of the contract the vendor is trying to get me to pay an insurance policy for the access road and services which are being retained in ownership by the vendor pending them being handed over to the county council on completion of the development. However, the development would appear to be complete and there's no indication of when the access road and services will be handed over to the county council. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I am in the process of buying a house. As part of the contract the vendor is trying to get me to pay an insurance policy for the access road and services which are being retained in ownership by the vendor pending them being handed over to the county council on completion of the development. However, the development would appear to be complete and there's no indication of when the access road and services will be handed over to the county council. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Never heard of this.
    My estate was finished in 1996 and still hasn't been handed over!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Laughable arm-chancing. I assume your solicitor has told them to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

sabat wrote: »
    Laughable arm-chancing. I assume your solicitor has told them to do one.

It's a condition of the contract. It's coming from the vendor's side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Pdoghue wrote: »
    It's a condition of the contract. It's coming from the vendor's side.

There's no way you should agree to this. It's an open-ended legally binding agreement to pay the bill for someone else's property indefinitely. What if some chancer "slips" on the ground, sticks a claim in and the following year's insurance bill goes up to €5K? And if the council haven't taken it in charge for 10 years following that? Not only does this have the potential to be a serious drain on your own money, it will also make it more difficult to sell in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

sabat wrote: »
    There's no way you should agree to this. It's an open-ended legally binding agreement to pay the bill for someone else's property indefinitely. What if some chancer "slips" on the ground, sticks a claim in and the following year's insurance bill goes up to €5K? And if the council haven't taken it in charge for 10 years following that? Not only does this have the potential to be a serious drain on your own money, it will also make it more difficult to sell in the future.

Thinking exactly the same..

• Advertisement
Advertisement