Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skip company wont collect skip

Options
  • 16-08-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hi,

Please feel free to move this thread if its not in the right area.

I ordered a builders skip 2 weeks ago and paid €250 cash on delivery , the driver came to collect it today and said too much was in it and they wont remove it (or they can remove it for an extra €100)

What can I do here as the skip is becoming a hazard out on the public road with kids likely to set fire to it and damage cars etc ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi,

Please feel free to move this thread if its not in the right area.

I ordered a builders skip 2 weeks ago and paid €250 cash on delivery , the driver came to collect it today and said too much was in it and they wont remove it (or they can remove it for an extra €100)

What can I do here as the skip is becoming a hazard out on the public road with kids likely to set fire to it and damage cards etc ?

Pay for it? You've clearly put to much stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Offer them 50 and see what they can do. 100 implies there nearly half as much (40%) again in it. Did you overfill or did you get other people using it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

General rule of thumb is that you fill to level with top of skip .
    Above that they can charge extra .

Your only options are to :
    1. Pay the €100
    2. Remove items from the skip to bring it down to correct level .
    3. Slip the driver €50 cash to just take it away .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

It's only a bit over full , I'm gone back to work so cant add a pic , other neighbours have been filling without my permission the last 2 days . What had to go into it was all out my front and the delivery guy said on delivery that will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Your neighbours aren't his problem. If you can't keep them in line, don't order skips.

You may pay the ton I'm thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Give your neighbours back their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Pod123

The driver is doing his job.
    It’s his responsibility once he lifts the skip should anything fallout and damage a third party it falls back to the driver.
    Some companies get the driver to take a picture of the skip and the office make the call to lift or not.
    Other companies send out a truck to take the overload and that is covered in the €100.

Guess il have to get a jcb to crush it all down , they put nets on them to stop things falling out , what's considered over full though their is no guidelines on their website ,

Did you sign a term and conditions when it was delivered?
    Most skips are marked in how high to fill which is level with the top of skip.
    The net the driver uses covers all the skip.

Pod123 wrote: »
    Did you sign a term and conditions when it was delivered?
    Most skips are marked in how high to fill which is level with the top of skip.
    The net the driver uses covers all the skip.

No I didn't sign anything and no receipt was given after payment . There is no fill lines or markings , its becoming a fire hazard now as teenagers are removing things and lighting fires in the field next to me

• Advertisement

Does the skip have a waste permit marked on it a series of letters and numbers ?
    If it’s on the street who got the permit to put it there was it you or the company?
    Sorry about all the questions but it doesn’t sound like a legit company.
    Should have got a receipt for money and a list of terms and conditions signed by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

No I didn't sign anything and no receipt was given after payment . There is no fill lines or markings , its becoming a fire hazard now as teenagers are removing things and lighting fires in the field next to me

Maybe by the time the kids finish removing things for their fire, they might have saved you the 100 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If he refuses to pay, then how do the company get their skip back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

A pic will be needed if you want us to judge !
    Did you wall the skip up? Is it full of heavy material like soil or rubble ... it’s the company’s final say , in fairness. As you said that it’s a little bit over , you can’t really blame the company.
    Also , I’d go knocking on your Neighbour’s doors to say you’re being hit in the pocket regarding the skip and ask them to kindly ask you if they can put their rubbish in someone else’s skip !! They sound like terrible Neighbour’s tbh

begbysback wrote: »
    If he refuses to pay, then how do the company get their skip back?

The company will have plenty more skips .. it’ll be left there for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

hawkelady wrote: »
    The company will have plenty more skips .. it’ll be left there for the foreseeable future

not sure about that.
    we ordered a skip a few weeks ago and had to wait 4 days for on to be availible.. normally only a few hours before its delivered i was working for a company that gets 50+ skips a year off this company so they wouldnt fob them off too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Problem solved

not sure about that.
    we ordered a skip a few weeks ago and had to wait 4 days for on to be availible.. normally only a few hours before its delivered i was working for a company that gets 50+ skips a year off this company so they wouldnt fob them off too much

Fair enough .... I know of a skip that was left in a driveway for roughly 9 months !! It was a well known skip company so maybe that’s why they could leave it. Cause it was overfull they refused to take it away. After 9 months the house owner paid for another smaller skip to take the overfill.

If you have contacts in the skip business I know you could fill it really high and have it taken away ..
    most companies have on their website “ water level only” to cover themselves

The title of this thread should really read “ skip company won’t take over full skip” as current title is slightly misleading

Does the skip have a waste permit marked on it a series of letters and numbers ?
    If it’s on the street who got the permit to put it there was it you or the company?
    Should have got a receipt for money and a list of terms and conditions signed by you.

No it has no markings just the skips company name and phone number , I didn't have to get any permit anyway it's on the street in between maybe 10-12 council houses . The company emailed me a pic and it was 100% not like this when I went to work this morning .

• Advertisement

No it has no markings just the skips company name and phone number , I didn't have to get any permit anyway it's on the street in between maybe 10-12 council houses . The company emailed me a pic and it was 100% not like this when I went to work this morning .

3pH1Y7Y

3pH1Y7Y

[IMG][/img]20190816-162600.jpg

This is what they emailed me , the bike and wood is not mine .

Regardless of how you saw it this morning when you left they say it’s over filled and on your property and your responsibility
    A jcb would cost more then the €100.
    The €100 is the cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Can’t pay, won’t take it away....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Them pallets haven’t a notion of staying on there.driver is dead right not to lift it.
    It’s an unstable load because you’re neighbors overfilled it and is now unsafe to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

Driver is being a cock, doesn't look over filled to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

The wood and bicycle can be recycled for free if your lovely neighbours had bothered their ar#&s to bring them to a recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭champchamp

Take the pallets out and break them up for kindling with a sledge.
    If you know who put the bike in there give to back to them.
    Problem solved.

Will take the bicycle and timber out when I'm home, my partner said a neighbour is willing to drag it down the road with his jeep to get it out of the way but would that cause more harm than good ?

• Advertisement

Does no one have an open fire around? (apart from the imminent bonfire)

Plenty of good wood there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement