Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick may lose big Thomond Park games to Cork!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Utter nonsense. Won't happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

allimac wrote: »

Not happening. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pro14/munster-v-leinster-showdown-in-pairc-ui-chaoimh-wont-happen-this-year-38409257.html

Munster aren't going to give the GAA rent when they have their own stadium which still has to be paid off. If it ever happens it'll will be a European semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They're not selling out the Thomond Park matches when they happen, not much chance of selling out a bigger stadium either.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

The champions cup need to approve any potential semi final venues, and TP does not fit their criteria mainly due to capacity. The only Irish venue suitable for semi finals is the Aviva. In order for Munster to ever hope of having a “home” semi final they will need to show that another stadium can host a rugby match. PUC is a natural choice, so you can expect a Munster Leinster match at some point in the future.

Berty wrote: »
    They're not selling out the Thomond Park matches when they happen, not much chance of selling out a bigger stadium either.

Munster Leinster is always a sellout. The world club attendance record is Munster v Leinster where Munster played at “home” in Croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I've sent munster rugby an email saying if they move it to PuC I'll be looking for my season ticket to be refunded and I'll not see the point of buying one ever again.

PuC is a disaster to get to, disaster for parking and I would have zero interest in going. It would be the thin end of the wedge IMO. Soon all the bigger matches would be there and if that happens they might as well sell of Thomond for houses if it's only money they want.

Relax, it isint about money, it will likely cost slightly more to host in PUC than TP so won’t be a common venue. The bigger picture is any potential champions cup semi. If Munster want to host a semi in Munster, it has to be PUC. If the stadium hosts a sellout match or too then champions cup selection committee should have no problem giving it the ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Munster v Leinster tickets are on early bird sale, for thomond park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

mdmix wrote: »
    Relax, it isint about money, it will likely cost slightly more to host in PUC than TP so won’t be a common venue. The bigger picture is any potential champions cup semi. If Munster want to host a semi in Munster, it has to be PUC. If the stadium hosts a sellout match or too then champions cup selection committee should have no problem giving it the ok.

We can't beat Leinster at Thomond park so moving it to PuC is a good idea?? It would be purely a commercial decision made to extract the last few pennies possible from the fans. If MR are going to go down the route of squeezing the last penny out of everything then for gods sake, sell one of the grounds and be done with it.

But I will no longer be paying for a season ticket and I'm betting many others will be the same. The only reason to have one these days is to guarantee a ticket to the Xmas derby game and if that is no longer needed, what is the point? I usually miss at least one game a season due to work commitments and that wipes out the saving. In the long run, if lots of people dump the season ticket how much will that cost them? Especially if it means people are less likely to bother on a wet evening etc because they no longer have already paid for the season ticket? That has knock-on effects then at the grounds with less footfall.

And, with all due respect to the Cork people who make the long drive to Limerick (I stand with a few of them on the terrace) - I have no intention of spending hours in traffic in Cork city getting to matches. In fairness to Thomond it's easy to get to via the tunnel and even on big match days there's very little traffic to get away again.

You can't honestly say that about Musgrave or PuC?

And finally, can you imagine the atmosphere at PuC? The edge of the pitch will be more than 14 metres (>45 feet in old money) from the edge of the stands! Will be nearly as bad an atmosphere as that miserable Aviva stadium I reckon.

Advertisement