Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting my Flat

Options
  • 16-08-2019 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All,

I am renting a one bedroom flat for the last year or so. I am paying nearly 700 a month. I have no lease/ rental agreement with the Landlord. I am just wondering what the situation is regarding Subletting . Obviously I have to get permission from the Landlord. I was thinking of short term lets for maybe 2 or 3 nights a week. Anyone with advice or opinions welcome.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Can I ask why and how you can sublet or Airbnb ( both very different) a one bedroom flat that you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You would need to apply for a change of use if subletting less than 14 days at a time, assuming you are in a RPZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Hi,

Well I have the option of living with my parents or staying with a friend..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Have you asked your parents if you can move back in? Why would you even want to do that? How much will you pay them?

Why would landlord even consider letting to someone who will sub let to someone else who they don’t know? Why would they not just let it themselves?

You sublet and then after 6 months they have part Iv rights and normal tenancy rules apply. Don’t forget as you will not be living there you will have to pay tax prsi and usc on any rental income, you won’t be claiming rent a room.

Or is it short term let which is not subletting but which you need change of use planning permission.

You haven’t thought about it haven’t a clue what you’re doing so let’s leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You would need to apply for a change of use if subletting less than 14 days at a time, assuming you are in a RPZ.

Not necessarily true; if the flat is the OP's principal private residence, he can let the entire unit on a short-term basis for up to 90 days per year without requiring planning permission. Short-term lets of the entire property only require planning permission if the property is the PPR of the landlord or licensor and the property is let on a short-term basis for more than 90 days in a calendar year, or if the property is not the PPR of the landlord/licensor (in which case planning permission is required for any short-term lets).

In this case the real obstacle would be whether a tenant can AirBnB the property they are renting without the landlord's permission if there isn't a written tenancy agreement explicitly addressing the matter. It'd probably come down to whether a short-term let is considered a "sub-let" for the purposes of the RTA; if it is, then the tenant would have to obtain consent from the landlord or they'd be in breach of their obligations. Even if it was not considered a sub-let, the tenant might be in breach of other obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi,

Well I have the option of living with my parents or staying with a friend..

So in effect your getting family and friends to support you

Advertisement