Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I think it will take quite a while for something normal, politically, to emerge from the Brexit wreckage. And until then, nothing the Brits say or sign can be trusted. They're looking at a lost decade and massive political upheaval. Scotland and Northern Ireland would be wise to get out sooner than later.

I think in the future, in Britain, the only time you will see the term 'UNITED' will be attached to a football club.
    With sterling losing value and the rise in rascism, some of the big stars will be looking to brighter pastures on the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    With sterling losing value and the rise in rascism, some of the big stars will be looking to brighter pastures on the mainland.

A lot of recent contracts are paid in Euro or Swiss Franc - if the clubs can continue getting enough foreign currency denominated income (from Asia primarily) they can keep paying those.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Shelga wrote: »
    Literally the only thing that these hardcore Brexiters who ring LBC day after day after day care about is not being a member of the EU anymore. It's like nothing exists after October 31st.

Yes, I am really, really looking forward to them having to face up to reality. My only fear is that they will continue to blame the EU for the position they find themselves in, but I think those cries will get weaker and weaker as time goes on. The longer they're out of the EU, the less able they will be to blame it for every miserable aspect of their lives that they're unhappy with. And they're about to get a lot unhappier.

I have friends in the UK. I lived there myself. All of this is horrible. But it's inevitable at this point. Yes, I'm going to indulge in schadenfreude where I can, while limiting whatever damage possible to Ireland.

The problem with attempting the blame game is that they have options right up to Brexit day.
    They will choose which option they want, Remain, Leave with Deal, Leave without Deal.
    The EU will just continually point this out. They had 3 choices. They chose. Their responsibility, no one else to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It has been infuriating to see how poor the opposition is in the HOC

They haven't been able to land one blow on this bunch of Tories

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As usual lots of possible twist and tuns ahead, starting with this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/29/senior-tory-rebels-ready-to-back-move-against-no-deal-brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1167140491277848576

We hadn't heard from Mark in a while.

These guys are spineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

is_that_so wrote: »
    A significant number of Conservative MPs said on Thursday they were now prepared to back legislation in the Commons next week, which they may otherwise have viewed as premature.

Glad to see they have copped on a bit from earlier in the year where it was never the "right time" to do something to actual make a decision on something/stop the process. Back then at least one grouping always thought next week would be better, incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Glad to see they have copped on a bit from earlier in the year where it was never the "right time" to do something to actual make a decision on something/stop the process. Back then at least one grouping always thought next week would be better, incredibly frustrating.

C4 earlier reporting that Tory MPs were being pressed to delay any rebellion till the last week of October.
    Cummings' work again, I presume - I wonder if it will cause some to waver though,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Ben Done wrote: »
    C4 earlier reporting that Tory MPs were being pressed to delay any rebellion till the last week of October.
    Cummings' work again, I presume - I wonder if it will cause some to waver though,,

That would be even more farcical than repeatedly believing May's promises.

Which means it's more than likely what will happen. Politics over there seems to be constant waiting to see what will happen. Nobody has any initiative to step up as an actual leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

VinLieger wrote: »
    Is he that good of a liar or is she just incredibly gullible?

She's not a "real" politician. And she's a bit useless.

If she didn't get the easy ride because of her provenance, she's had the last few years the Tories would be no where near what they are.

Scotland is really an SNP LD duopoly that the media hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Calina wrote: »
    Yep. But it on its own does not constitute all Irish media. On balance we are doing way better than the UK here.

yes and AFAIK, that's possibly due to the fact that Irish journalism laws are a lot tighter here than they are in the UK. At least thats my understanding. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Look at these weird, posh robots. They think we should Irexit and join the UK. It has gathered a wee bit of momentum in the last few days and - to be fair - is pretty convincing.

https://twitter.com/tpointuk/status/1164958361059831808
    I heard they released another video. I'm going to catch up later...

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!! I'm still giggling. That was priceless! The step ford twins!! Ah god love us, lovely looking but nothing between the ears :-D have they ever cracked open a history book? Do they know WHY we share the same language?? That we should trust the landed gentry in U.K. Rather than the EU? That we didn't learn a thing after 800 years? That the EU got us off our knees and into a position where trade without the UK will not devestate us. And the blonde one on the right, the earnest faces she's pulling to look knowledgeable, hilarious!! I can see the UK is in good hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Shelga wrote: »
    Yes, I am really, really looking forward to them having to face up to reality. My only fear is that they will continue to blame the EU for the position they find themselves in, but I think those cries will get weaker and weaker as time goes on. The longer they're out of the EU, the less able they will be to blame it for every miserable aspect of their lives that they're unhappy with. And they're about to get a lot unhappier.
    There will be two sets of voices. Those that blame the EU and those that blame Brexit. Over time both will get weaker.

It is similar to what happened here with the financial crisis. One side blamed the EU and the other our Government/Regulators etc. We are still paying for the financial crisis now but the debate has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

There will be two sets of voices. Those that blame the EU and those that blame Brexit. Over time both will get weaker.

It is similar to what happened here with the financial crisis. One side blamed the EU and the other our Government/Regulators etc. We are still paying for the financial crisis now but the debate has moved on.

And yet I believe the blame will be placed on whomever the tabloids decide.. regardless of truth or intelligent reasoning..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

is_that_so wrote: »
    Supply chains are far more at risk from Trump. What has been highlighted is that some areas will be a lot harder hit, the economy as a whole much less so. NI, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, could be in huge trouble.

NI will suffer Depression (not recession) level conditions in the event of a Hard Brexit it will be essentially quarentined economically because of Brexit and collapse in weeks without a deal. It's one of the 2 conditions that will accellerate the end of partition here and the beginning of partition in Britain (irony alert) as Scotland breaking away is the other (calls for a 2nd indyref like a border poll will become unstoppable in a crashout scenario).

Ultimately this is up to the British People to stand up and make themselves heard, they need to basically trigger general strikes, massive protest's and basically shut down everything but the essential services if they're going to force this goverment to abandon this as honestly once that line is crossed they won't be able to get those things they lost back and the UK will basically fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robinph wrote: »
    If she decides to not follow the instructions of the PM then the next action by parliament will be to remove the monarchy from the process of government entirely.
    So basically what you're saying is that the PM has practically always had the power to shut down government at any time and for any reason and pass their own laws.

And the UK has long considered itself a great democracy, why? It's an illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If Parliament demands a the PM withdraw the porogue by a majority, he could ignore, but it has other constitutional implications.
    The PM made his request to the Queen, based on him having a majority in Parliament. If it turns out he did not, it means he has mislead the Queen.

Thus Johnson may have overreached and will have instigated a constitutional crisis. He will have in effect, mislead the Queen into poroging Parlaiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Water John wrote: »
    If Parliament demands a the PM withdraw the porogue by a majority, he could ignore, but it has other constitutional implications.
    The PM made his request to the Queen, based on him having a majority in Parliament. If it turns out he did not, it means he has mislead the Queen.

Thus Johnson may have overreached and will have instigated a constitutional crisis. He will have in effect, mislead the Queen into poroging Parlaiment.

If there is a VONC and there is a majority for an alternative PM, reports from No. 10 suggest that Johnson will refuse to resign. Which would bring 93 year old Liz back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Water John wrote: »

Theresa May got away with it. Iirc when she went to the Queen to form a new government, the Tories had not yet completed their talks with the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If he got the deal through, he would be The Man Who Delivered Brexit, a big win.

If he tap-dances up to the last minute, out maneuvers the opposition and presents them with No Deal or the WA, last chance, no more extensions, maybe Parliament would go for it.

All the people saying it is dead and so on would be history, forgotten just like the fact that Johnson voted for the WA himself in March.

The problem I see is that politicians has made Brexit toxic and the withdrawal agreement especially. Johnson and Rees-Mogg were at the front demonizing it. If they turn around and bring it for a vote and it passes, it is theirs to own and the voting public they have misled to think it is a terrible deal that will trap the UK in the EU will not forget this. So I cannot see how he spins this as a win unless he doesn't pay the £33bn-£39bn and gets rid of the backstop, which will not happen.

It has been infuriating to see how poor the opposition is in the HOC

They haven't been able to land one blow on this bunch of Tories

Parliament is in recess so there is nothing the opposition can do right now. What do you think they should have done other than release statements? I am not a Corbyn fan but to blame him for inactivity when there is nothing he can do right now is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes May did get away with it as the DUP deal was as good as done. Johnson however hasn't the backing of a majority in Parliament.

Enzokk wrote: »
    That is disturbing. At that age I thought I knew everything but I shudder now to think of the views I held. It was so devoid of any rationality and I am glad I didn't have social media where I put those thoughts down for everyone to see. To think these 2 will have any contribution to the debate of Brexit is just incredible. I see they mention how the EU treated the economies of Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy. I see they didn't mention the other nation that was part of that, because it doesn't suit their narrative.
    They're just empty-headed mouthpieces tbh. They're spouting what they've been told to spout (probably from an autocue if the robotic delivery is any indication) and will move on to do photo-ops and other paying gigs. They're not important, it's the clicks, interactions and retweets that matter. It's Turning Point and the rest of the Tufton Street mob who benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

If this was 1960 i'd agree.

But it's not.

12% of our trade is with the UK today, not 90%.

You seem to be suggesting we allow ourselves to be pushed around. I'm perfectly comfortable not to be pushed around by that cabal in Westminster thank you very much.

Each to their own.

OK, bookmark the argument and we'll see what happens in terms of knock on effects on the average citizen & consumer here.

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong but somehow or other I think many here are living in some green tinged sphere that thinks we will sail along as before.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    OK, bookmark the argument and we'll see what happens in terms of knock on effects on the average citizen & consumer here.

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong but somehow or other I think many here are living in some green tinged sphere that thinks we will sail along as before.
    It's great the way you respond to facts with feelings. It really bolsters your position. Perhaps you could throw in an odd factoid to, y'know, counter what other posters are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BarryD2 wrote:

I'm curious how you have come to that conclusion, seeing as the adverse consequences of Brexit have been researched, quantified, documented and discussed in detail here and in the wider media since June 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BarryD2 wrote: »

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/brexitindicators/

You are wrong, your emotion is contradicted by the facts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Per the charter and the very first post (which you would have been directed to when clicking on the thread title by the way):
    Insults directed at popular figures are not acceptable in this forum

This applies all the more when the people in question are teenagers. By all means criticise any organisation that puts people up to making such comments, but attacking the people themselves, commenting on how they look etc, is not acceptable debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Paddy power think there's a 65% chance the UK leaves this year and a 42% chance that they don't.
    Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Paddy power think there's a 65% chance the UK leaves this year and a 42% chance that they don't.
    Make of that what you will.

Does not compute. How have you arrived at those numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Looking at Newsnight, a Scottish Independence referendum is beginning to hove back into view.
    If the Cons and Labour implode there London won't be able to resist one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement