Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

They have to stay until the agreed date.

But if they are genuinely going for a no deal it doesn’t matter if they leave tomorrow or the 31st October?
    If they are going to burn the bridges why does it matter what date it takes place?
    It will be all gone to hell anyway. Who is going to punish them or what sanction could be brought against them for leaving before 31st October.
    Could they leave while parliament is in the prorogue period?
    Could they just announce that’s it we are gone. No more talks. We no longer recognize the ECJ etc?? And parliament obviously could not do a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Barnier - in his article in the Telegraph tomorrow - also says there will be no special mini deals with the UK in a no deal Brexit.

So what he has said is negotiations are over, the deal is there and it is time to decide whether it is a deal or not.

Very direct article.

Telegraph must be publishing this to fire them up.

The irony is that the Press in UK is either pro or anti, and depending on whatever side you are on, it is rare that those of one side or the other, will take any notice of the opposing side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

20silkcut wrote: »
    But if they are genuinely going for a no deal it doesn’t matter if they leave tomorrow or the 31st October?
    If they are going to burn the bridges why does it matter what date it takes place?
    Because that's what the Agreement to Extend Brexit says.
    It's the agreement they and the EU Commission signed.

It will be all gone to hell anyway. Who is going to punish them or what sanction could be brought against them for leaving before 31st October.
    Could they just announce that’s it we are gone. No more talks. We no longer recognize the ECJ etc?? And parliament obviously could not do a thing about it.

Indeed. I have never been able to figure that out. Go if you want, what the heck are you waiting for?

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Because that's what the Agreement to Extend Brexit says.
    It's the agreement they and the EU Commission signed.

So what would the sanctions be for UK if they leave on Monday? Pray tell.

They don't want to be in the EU, so just go already please and have the courage of your convictions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Indeed. I have never been able to figure that out. Go if you want, what the heck are you waiting for?

Maybe that’s what this pro-roguery is really about. I can’t see anything preventing them doing it during the prorogue period and they would be hailed as heroes by the 40% and much of the toxic media. Even farage would praise them for it. No doubt the likes of JRM and the ERG would definitely do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's not a matter of getting up and walking out the door. The UK can repeal all EU legislation tomorrow if it wants, but the EU can't. So there would be no appreciable difference if they repealed all that legislation. Nobody would recognise it.

Edit: Meanwhile in the land of adequate food, people are being asked not to stockpile food. I think that marks the first step through the looking glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Why would I bother (unless obliged) to go looking for some equivalent German or Italian equivalent? The UK are more local that Germany or Italy or China. That's the practical reality.

Well I'd see the question more as why wouldn't you look for a German or Italian equivalent? I have a friend who works in Dublin for a Donegal-based company. He happens to like "running errands" so even though it's not in his original job description, in the last six months, he's skipping all over the continent, dropping samples and finished product in to their customers. The last four texts he's sent me have been from Toulouse, Frankfurt, Zurich and Prague. As he says himself, from his office in Dublin it's as easy to get to Prague as it is to get to their HO in Donegal. :)

Still, I know you're not alone amongst the Irish who still haven't quite embraced the full potential of being part of the EU ... and that's actually a good thing, because when ye do, it'll help strengthen the economy even more! :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's not a matter of getting up and walking out the door. The UK can repeal all EU legislation tomorrow if it wants, but the EU can't. So there would be no appreciable difference if they repealed all that legislation. Nobody would recognise it.
    Edit: meanwhile in the land of adequate food, people are being asked not to stockpile food. I think that marks the first step through the looking glass.

Who would care if UK goes really?

I am not sure that I understand your point about legislation? Surely the UK doesn't care much about that if they are leaving. And why would the EU care much either?

Go now, or stay and be true to yourself.

Afraid to leave, and afraid to stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

What have they done. When will they realise. Don’t hoard food. You’re making it difficult if you do.
    Where is this headed with language like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Who would care if UK goes really?

I am not sure that I understand your point about legislation? Surely the UK doesn't care much about that if they are leaving. And why would the EU care much either?

Go now, or stay and be true to yourself.

Afraid to leave, and afraid to stay.
    Because "The Treaties cease to apply...". Without the proper legislation, they still apply. So them leaving now would be like a kid with their arms folded, stamping their foot and saying they're running away, while staying exactly where they are.

Nothing will change. Not until the day when the treaties actually cease to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

‪in tomorrow’s main Tory propaganda outlet the Telegraph

EU Chief Negotiator @MichelBarnier writing in tomorrow’s Sunday Telegraph:‬

‪The backstop “is not about changing the constitutional status of Northern Ireland. That is none of the EU’s business” “I am not optimistic about avoiding a “no deal” scenario but I remain determined to explore all avenues that the UK government will present that are compatible with the Withdrawal Agreement.” “We should stop kicking the can down the road. Uncertainty has festered for far too long in the UK, in particular in Northern Ireland, as well as in Ireland and all other EU countries, for that matter.”The UK has now come to a moment of truth & it must decide if it leaves the EU with or without an agreement. If it chooses the latter, it means that there’ll be no transition period & no so-called “mini-deals”, as the EU will only act to protect its own interests‬

What I read from that is that the WA status but it's acceptable to confine the backstop just to NI.

The key phrase is that we're not looking to change the constitutional status of NI.

Boris is gearing up for an election anyway so the DUP won't matter. What can they do? Being a vonc so that they become irrelevant anyway

What I read from that is that the WA status but it's acceptable to confine the backstop just to NI.

The key phrase is that we're not looking to change the constitutional status of NI.

Boris is gearing up for an election anyway so the DUP won't matter. What can they do? Being a vonc so that they become irrelevant anyway

It’s going to be border in the sea NI backstop only. Boris does that and calls immediate election before DUP can pull support. And will sail through having delivered Brexit.

That’s bonkers but the least worst only sensible way out.

Saying that there’s nothing sensible happening right now. It’s all dead cat on the table. So who knows?

That loyalist persona Jamie Bryson tweeted that the DUP have been informed by conservatives there’s to be an election called for early November. We’re off to the races in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

It’s going to be border in the sea NI backstop only. Boris does that and calls immediate election before DUP can pull support. And will sail through having delivered Brexit.

Saying that there’s nothing sensible happening right now. It’s all dead cat on the table. So who knows?

That loyalist persona Jamie Bryson tweeted that the DUP have been informed by conservatives there’s to be an election called for early November. We’re off to the races in that case.

If he tried that the Brexit Party would take him out and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

VinLieger wrote: »

Honestly it's no suprise here that this whole fiasco has been driven by those looking to profit off this or evade taxes. Honestly if the UK do crash out they should investigate those involved and hammer them with penalties and fines, not to mention levelling taxes on those companies involved as well.

Truthfully the only sensible way out is an A50 cancellation but the only way to make this happen would be for British people to come out onto the street en mass similar to what's happening in Hong Kong and for the EU to not Budge on the Oct 31st deadline. MP's there also need to take the bull by the horns and decide if they want to have control or allow malicious elements to wreck their country. If they truly crash out Boris and co have to be nailed to the wall for enabling this. As for those in the conservative party if any of the more realistic and principled people there truly have the best interests of the country at heart they should first decide to put country before party and call the threat of cummings out by first voting against Boris, then leaving the party and forming a new group or joining the Lib Dem's and finally refuse to allow Boris to have his election by first voting no confidence and then coordinating with the other groups to nominate a non aligned MP to serve as Caretaker while they sideline the European Troll Group and Boris and closing them down until the whole mess is sorted.

The election is due November. He would have delivered brexit before that. In September or October. The brexit party are a non entity with no reason to exist at that point

Parliament is back on Tuesday coming. Explosive and varied twists to come shortly. Anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't recall Farage ever saying anything specifically about NI. He has visited Dublin, but I don't think he went to Belfast to try on a bowler hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All the signals are, he aimed for an election in early Nov. Parliament may force his hand next week and if he loses, in terms of a law being enacted that forces him to seek an Art 50 extension, he will go for an election earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

If you were bothered about totalitarianism then it is Bercow who you would object to. Johnson has used a perfectly normal and constitutional device, Bercow has ignored the constitution (although he knows it very well) and given himself unconstitutional powers which he uses in a partial way. He subverts the whole role of the speaker. He is permitted to do this because his actions benefit Remainers.

Incidentally, as Dicey would tell you, the only legitimacy of an MP comes from their representation of the majority, something which Remainer MPs have ignored.
    1. The Tories were given their mandate in 2017 and that was a "smooth transition" from the EU - i.e. not a no deal (and Labour had its 5 tests). The mandate from the people is to prevent a nothing agreed brexit.
    The PM is usurping parliament - and its mandates.
    In the UK parliament is sovereign - not "the people" (in addition of note, Western countries are not nor are intended to be democracies. What they are are liberal democracies- where in particular the minority are to be protected against the majority.)
    Bercow's actions have only ever been aimed at increasing the power of the parliament and to in particular carry out its mandate to discuss and make decisions- so even if his actions were "unconstitutional" as alleged they were certainly not as unconstitutional as those of Johnson (an unelected PM, going against the mandate provided to the minority Tory party) usurping the power of the parliament based on a illegally run vague nearly half decade old referendum barely "won" based on lies and clearly for something other than that which Johnson seeks - and where Johnson and his cronies are terrified of having the people determine if this course of action should be undertaken because even given the extraordinary levels of malignant toxic propaganda and lies spewed out by the right wing press and people like yourself less than a third of the people support it.

While I'm sure you're only recently discovered Dicey, he was in fact not particularly good. Furthermore the UK is a parliamentary democracy where referendums are not used because in particular vague referendums give fake legitimacy to the illegitimate actions of government - indeed as Thatcher correctly and presciently noted, referendums are the favourite tools of populist authoritarian dictators - not of democracies. In addition the role of parliament is to represent the interests of its voters- not necessarily their desires. Again that is the entire point of a liberal democracy.

2 tweets/threads by David Allen Green are relevant, precise and pithy:
    https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1166996815255916544
    https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1166968906881409025

They have to stay until the agreed date.
    That is at best debatable (a Tory -Tugendhat was recently suggesting leaving early for example)- it is primarily a preference of the UK not to leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

BluePlanet wrote: »
    As far as I know, this is the deadline, the final leaving date.
    They can leave before if they choose to do so.

They can leave after they ratify the Withdrawal Agreement.
    Otherwise it's 31/10.

Exactly.

The EU extension agreement of A50 says:
    Reuters wrote:
    2. In response, the European Council agrees to an extension to allow for the ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Such an extension should last only as long as necessary and, in any event, no longer than 31 October 2019.

If the Withdrawal Agreement is ratified by both parties before this date, the withdrawal will take place on the first day of the following month.

The extension has the purpose to ratify the WA and if it is ratified the UK can leave by the end of the current month.
    Otherwise the extension will run until Oct 31.

Lars :)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-extension-text/text-eu-agreement-to-extend-brexit-idUSKCN1RN01E

'Free trade zones' would not help the motor assembly business because of CoO rules. The resulting cars would still attract full tariffs on entry into the EU, and why would somebody buy a Nissan from Sunderland with a 10% tariff when the same model built in Japan would come in with zero tariff?

NI as a 'Free trade Zone' would be a nonsense. How can dairy farming, or killing pigs be 'free trade'. Perhaps a unicorn farm might work, but even that would be far fetched.

It wouldn't be"free trade zone" as such- it would be "areas subject to a backstop style regulatory alignment and effectively within the single market and customs union". So there would be a customs barrier between the car factory and the rest of the UK for example.

Could Javid jump ship after his assistant being fired without his knowledge of it?

Barnier - in his article in the Telegraph tomorrow - also says there will be no special mini deals with the UK in a no deal Brexit.

So what he has said is negotiations are over, the deal is there and it is time to decide whether it is a deal or not.

Very direct article.
    Good to hear- this is likely not directed at brexiters however, rather at wavering Tory MPs who want to delude themselves that Johnson's plan of taking it to the wire is actually a plan and not a deliberate ploy to go to no deal:
    https://twitter.com/kevinhorourke/status/1167324823669760011

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Seems all is not well in the Boris cabinet and then this

https://twitter.com/andrew_adonis/status/1167896020073644043?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The election is due November. He would have delivered brexit before that. In September or October. The brexit party are a non entity with no reason to exist at that point

Parliament is back on Tuesday coming. Explosive and varied twists to come shortly. Anything could happen.
    I don't recall Farage ever saying anything specifically about NI. He has visited Dublin, but I don't think he went to Belfast to try on a bowler hat.

I actually agree with ThePanjandrum here, if he delivers anything but no-deal he will have to face the Brexit Party in an election. The only way he neutralizes them is by delivering no-deal. Anything else will be spun as capitulation to the EU and there will be something for the Brexiters to fight for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement