Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

trellheim wrote: »

The rebels can't demand an extension, no matter what laws are passed by Westminster.

Under Article 50, the UK's representative on the European Council (the UK Prime Minister) has to formally request an extension and the rest of the European Council, (all 27 other member states' leaders) have to agree to the request.

No Act of the UK parliament can compel the leaders of the EU27 to grant a request, assuming the Johnson even makes the request.

What is the proposed penalty if Johnson ignores Westminster and refuses to make the request for an extension, his new doggie gets shot? :p

The EU27 have said they will not grant an extension unless the UK uses it to hold a general election and/or a referendum on Brexit.

An extension so the Brits can spend another few months trying to resolve their internal squabbles or trying in vain to get the backstop dropped from the Withdrawal Agreement won't be granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Lively crowd at the gates

It's quite remarkable really, not often you've heard that, even during the past few years of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

still stuck with this idea that threatening no-deal brexit somehow improves chances of EU compromising on a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

can anyone make out what the crowd are chanting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh wow that crowd is loud, unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

ath262 wrote: »
    can anyone make out what the crowd are chanting ?

Stop the coup

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭briany

They're going to need those extra 20,000 police, I'd say.

Johnson pitching the nose down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

briany wrote: »
    They're going to need those extra 20,000 police, I'd say.

Empty bluster, I win!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well that was pure party political broadcast - aimed at his MPs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nothing in that. Whole thing directed towards Tory MP defectors. Simple as that.

He was told to go out and show his face because they've been torn apart over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Very defiant, let's see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I don't understand why they need their queen to come make a speech in order to be able to reverse the cuts they have made over the last decade. Even in ordinary times, is it really needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well that was pure party political broadcast - aimed at his MPs

Don't get what that was about at all.. some serious jeering going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Beleave more! Vim vigour oomph and British bulldog spirit

Haha.

He said he needs a no deal option to ensure a deal. Game theory has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cjmc wrote: »
    Don't get what that was about at all.. some serious jeering going on
    Don't vote for the bill or I will go for an election. October 14th will be the date apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well that was ...

What was that? :confused:

All that waiting around and he just says what he's already said and everyone knows he's said it. :confused:

But now that he's said it, why does he need to shut parliament for five weeks just so the Queen can say it all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭briany

listermint wrote: »
    Nothing in that. Whole thing directed towards Tory MP defectors. Simple as that.

He was told to go out and show his face because they've been torn apart over the weekend.

Didn't he just say that under no circumstances will he go to Brussels and ask for an extension? The confirmation of that seems pretty huge.

"Vote with the government, because it's pointless if you don't. There will be no extensions as long as I'm PM, and I'll be PM until at least 31/10."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard him say these few words outside No.10 Downing St.

"I don't want an election. You don't want an election."

It looks like, in BJ's world, that Brexit will still happen on the 31st of October.

And some enhanced spending plan to be unveiled by Savid Javid to MP's in the HoC tomorrow.

I hope the MP's get their heads around this huge constitutional crisis in parliament tomorrow.

Ireland is definitely looking more scared of a No Deal Brexit by the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

briany wrote: »
    Didn't he just say that under no circumstances will he go to Brussels and ask for an extension? The confirmation of that seems pretty huge.

"Vote with the government, because it's pointless if you don't. There will be no extensions as long as I'm PM, and I'll be PM until at least 31/10."

Pretty much:-

"I want everybody to know there are no circumstances in which I will ask Brussels to delay, we're leaving on the 31st of October, no ifs or buts. We will not accept any attempts to go back on our promises or scrub that referendum"

IF he gets voted out on 14th Oct (the mooted election date) would he be Britain's shortest serving PM?

I've seen that he has the power to call an election for Oct 14th, then change the date to November so Britain still exits without a deal. Is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

No, he said "I will never ask for an extension" ( however Boris Johnson is a known liar)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I've seen that he has the power to call an election for Oct 14th, then change the date to November so Britain still exits without a deal. Is that true

He does not have the power to call an Election. All he can do is put down a motion for one, which must be approved by 2/3 of 650 MPs so 430 odd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

In other words, if parliament legally mandates him to ask for an extension, he is basically saying he will disregard that legal prerogative. Not even prevaricating about it as Gove was over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    He does not have the power to call an Election. All he can do is put down a motion for one, which must be approved by 2/3 of 650 MPs so 430 odd

I think what has been suggested is he puts down motion for election on 14th of October then uses reoyal perogative once it is passed to change the date to after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Time for that European Army. Swiftly followed by invading the nearest country run by a dictatorial tyrant.

Channel is only 35km, even the French should be able to manage that these days. :pac:
    gooch2k9 wrote: »
    I think what has been suggested is he puts down motion for election on 14th of October then uses reoyal perogative once it is passed to change the date to after Brexit.

That would start an uprising / civil disobedience unprecedented in modern British History at best, and civil war or breakup of the union at worst. In the meantime, Scotland and NI gone, Wales even probably left scratching its head thereafter.

Actually, no, I'd say that reduced the chances of No Deal somewhat. Boris bottled it and did not threaten an immediate election with deselection for rebels, as some expected. The way seems clear for Remainers to grab control tomorrow and pass Benn's bill shown upthread, requiring an extension request if there is No Deal at the EU summit in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

In other words, if parliament legally mandates him to ask for an extension, he is basically saying he will disregard that legal prerogative. Not even prevaricating about it as Gove was over the weekend.

He doesn't have to break the law, he can resign instead.

If Boris refuses to follow the law and request an extension, the logical next step is a vote of no confidence, Boris consigned to the dustbin of history as the PM with the shortest term ever, someone (Corbyn or...) installed as caretaker PM with a limited mandate to request an extension and call a General Election.

With this historic humiliation fresh, the Tories must dive into the election. Do they replace Boris, history's worst PM ever? Do they deselect all those rebels and face them running as Remain Independents (could throw seats to Remain even if they don't win)? Do they team up with Farage?

Anyhow, Remain Alliance wins GE, holds new referendum, Remain wins, Brexit consigned to the nuclear waste pond in Sellafield.

All the people who refused to prepare for Brexit say "I told you so!".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Based on what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I heard him say these few words outside No.10 Downing St.

"I don't want an election. You don't want an election."
    Looks like there's going to be an election. :)

Methinks he doth protest too much.

"I don't want an election, You don't want an election... But if you twist my arm, just a little bit.."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement