Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Surprising by Pence. Not very diplomatic to take a dump on your host's lawn.

Very clear message for Varadkar there. The current US administration is all out for Brexit and Johnson.

Given Trump and Pence are probably gone in 2020 i'm not sure it matters much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

54and56 wrote: »
    12 page leaked UK Govt document dated last week highlighting the inadequacies of the "Alternative Arrangements" - https://www.politico.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/AA-N-Ireland-doc-lobby.pdf
    Anyone with half a brain reading that would just tell them to stop wasting money and close it down. Every single 'solution' holed below the water line. Irretrievably.

Not that we didn't know that already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Serious discussion only please. Witticisms about the VP are not welcome here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

And drama ensues. Strange days indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Seems there is a realistic chance that the Government can torpedo the Benn bill, as it steps over a line and dictates how the PM must act in an international negotiation, a matter of Royal Prerogative, and Boris would have to give the Queen's Consent to that.

So I think they are back to a needing a VoNC and caretaker PM to get an extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1168896364648062976

The government's majority becomes - 1. Looks like GE time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭briany

Referring to the post just deleted, I wouldn't put it past the current British administration to clash with the WTO after a no-deal Brexit if they follow through on their claim their side of the Irish border will be left open. You can make the same type of claims against the WTO as you would against the EU. It's a supranational organisation that bosses the UK around. What right has it got? The UK should form its own trade organisation and convince Commonwealth countries to join. The WTO needs the UK more than the UK needs the WTO. etc. etc.

I think it's zero unless I missed another defection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Does he have to call a GE now that he’s lost his majority?

I know it’s not up to Johnson himself to call the GE otherwise- but does this loss change things and force an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

prawnsambo wrote: »

Think they meant that the govt lost its majority of one by -1.

I can't keep up with things over there anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No a majority of 1 becomes -1 as he's moving directly to an opposition party so its subtracting from the government and adding immediately to the opposition

Shelga wrote: »

I know it’s not up to Johnson himself to call the GE otherwise- but does this loss change things and force an election?
    Still has to lose a vote of no confidence really. Getting more likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Shelga wrote: »

Is his majority also counting the labour rebels like Hoey?

VinLieger wrote: »
    They're still Labour party members. Unless they actually join the Troy party. Or the DUP (Kate Hoey obvs.).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actual majority who are part of or who support the government(DUP).

I’m surprised she hasn’t crossed the floor to embrace the Tories yet, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What in the name of god is Corbyn talking about? This speech should have been
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

No, a defection of 1 has a double effect as it reduces the govt by 1 AND increases the opposition by 1.

EG. Govt has 50, Opposition 49.

54and56 defects from the Govt to the Opposition.

New numbers are:-

Govt 49, Opposition 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can someone clarify something?

Bercow said there is no vote tonight but a motion...

So that means the crucial vote is not tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

motion to take control of parliment tonight
    take control tomorrow, put forward bill, vote on bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was never tonight just the mechanism for it to be debated and voted on , probably tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

54and56 wrote: »
    No, a defection of 1 has a double effect as it reduces the govt by 1 AND increases the opposition by 1.

EG. Govt has 50, Opposition 49.

54and56 defects from the Govt to the Opposition.

New numbers are:-

Govt 49, Opposition 50.

But if 54 and 56 defects to the opposition is that not 2 defectors?

Govt has 50, Opposition 49 - Original position

Govt now 48, Opposition 51 - New position

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Not necessarily if they're smart they can simply have the government removed via a VONC then nominate a neutral MP to lead temporarily. Thry got 14 days once that happens to decide a replacement. All they need to do is basically say to Jeremy: You need to let someone else take up being a caretaker PM long enough to remove the Brexit Gun poined at everyone as you wont win a majority big enough to be PM while its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What in the name of god is Corbyn talking about? This speech should have been
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit
    • brexit

He can't resist, he's like the oul lad at the tenants association meeting who always to shoehorn his hobby horses into everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But if 54 and 56 defects to the opposition is that not 2 defectors?

Govt has 50, Opposition 49 - Original position

Govt now 48, Opposition 51 - New position

i thought that too, but then realised 54and56 is the one person - see OP's username :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Bambi wrote: »
    He can't resist, he's like the oul lad at the tenants association meeting who always to shoehorn his hobby horses into everything

He was addressing all the points in Johnson’s statement which he was given before hand. To be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Water John

For many, the bread and butter issues matter a lot in the UK. EU membership is not tangible to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Bojo to parachute into Dublin on Monday for a last throw of the dice.

The way the House of Commons conducts its business is just disgraceful. Obviously, emotions are running high and time is of the essence, but the way they scream and jeer and shout at each other like drunken louts is so undignified.

It’s like some nightmarish back to school scenario. Oh well, at least that sociopath Raab got a nice tan on his holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,621 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

briany wrote: »
    Referring to the post just deleted, I wouldn't put it past the current British administration to clash with the WTO after a no-deal Brexit if they follow through on their claim their side of the Irish border will be left open. You can make the same type of claims against the WTO as you would against the EU. It's a supranational organisation that bosses the UK around. What right has it got? The UK should form its own trade organisation and convince Commonwealth countries to join. The WTO needs the UK more than the UK needs the WTO. etc. etc.

If they follow through with the attempt to get a trade deal with the US, I would not be surprised if they joined the US in attempting to dismantle the WTO. It is many times more complicated to deal with the WTO than it is the EU, and the UK will have less say, so if they had a problem with EU then they will look to get as far away from WTO as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement