Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strazdas wrote: »
    Anna Soubry claims that Johnson rang the editor of the Telegraph today to tell him off for publishing the Peter Foster story (not because it was untrue, just for publishing it).

Heard that exchange in the hoc. Johnson denied it, naturally enough, but what struck me was him saying "i didnt ring any journalist" to discuss any matter today which leaves open the possibility that it wasnt necessarily Johnson that initiated the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The chatter on twitter is there’s going to be more defections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

OH FK
    Breaking: EU member states have been told by the European Commission Task Force that the UK under Boris Johnson is rengeging on its commitments to protect the all-Ireland economy and meaningful North-South cooperation, as enshinred in the Joint Report of December 2017 1/

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1168915519933734912

oh shee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

lawred2 wrote: »
    sit down with unionists?

sure aren't they in the minority in Northern Ireland?

arrogant man.

The DUP are changing their tune now. Back just after the referendum, Enda Kenny tried to get an all-Ireland Brexit task force going and Arlene said no thanks, the North South council could deal with it!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Loss of working majority should mean inevitable election.

But with FTPA, is it possible Labour could leave government in situ for a few more months to suffer defeat after defeat in Conmons votes?

No wonder Johnson was so keen to suspend Parliament.

What's his next move?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But with FTPA, is it possible Labour could leave government in situ for a few more months to suffer defeat after defeat in Conmons votes?

What's his next move?

I almost hope that is what happens; that the opposition parties stop No Deal from happening, but prevent an election meaning the Tories still have to be the ones to actually deal with what happens next.

But Corbyn will only see this as his best chance to be PM and he'll go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

What's his next move?
    He's going to come under more pressure, once a few Tory rebels jump ship then there will be a steady stream towords the exit door

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

trellheim wrote: »
    Why are you surprised? A no deal brexit would do exactly that and since that's the course he's heading for he'd naturally break the deal as well accordingly. That's nothing new there; that's simply EU saying "Yea, looks like it will most likely be a crash out so prepare for it oh and here's another example of UK going back on their word if you were unsure about who's the bad guy".

Why ? Because its rare for the EU to be so direct and open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Penn wrote: »
    I almost hope that is what happens; that the opposition parties stop No Deal from happening, but prevent an election meaning the Tories still have to be the ones to actually deal with what happens next.

So could we have the situation where Boris is prevented from a "no deal" due to legislation, but also unable to call an election due to lack of support in commons.
    Is that a possibility, seems to me it would be a good outcome for us but will cause outrage and trouble among a large section in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

joe40 wrote: »

So could we have the situation where Boris is prevented from a "no deal" due to legislation, but also unable to call an election due to lack of support in commons.
    Is that a possibility, seems to me it would be a good outcome for us but will cause outrage and trouble among a large section in Britain.
    That would be a great outcome the dup and the remaining tories would eat one another

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

EU screwing over Ireland (again) as Brexiteers have been saying for years...

Source here.
    Brussels is considering designating a no-deal Brexit as a disaster comparable to an earthquake or heavy flooding for the purposes of allocating emergency aid.

The proposal would see cash from the bloc's Solidarity Fund handed to heavily-hit countries like Ireland to deal with the fallout of UK policy.

Officials behind the scenes are working on the plan, which would require the approval of the European Parliament and member states.

The cash would help any affected member states deal with the significant disruption the bloc is supposed to cause.
    Damn you EU; damn you to hell! How dare you back stab Ireland like this!!1 oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Penn

joe40 wrote: »

I think so. Because of the Fixed Term Parliament Act he needs a 2/3 majority parliament vote to call an election, or for the opposition to call a vote of no confidence. If they don't do either, I don't think he can call an election. So if they block No Deal, he'll either have to ask the EU for another extension or he'll have to go against Parliament and do nothing, thereby leaving with No Deal by default (but I don't know what the ramifications are for the government if that happens).

Gove in the House referring to our 'Irish Brothers and Sisters' right now, tune in for comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So if they block No Deal, he'll either have to ask the EU for another extension or he'll have to go against Parliament and do nothing, thereby leaving with No Deal by default

Parliament can hold a VoNC and replace Boris with a caretaker PM, ask EU for an extension and hold a General Election.

Boris doesn't even have a paper majority now, even if the 20 Tory rebels did not rebel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Nody wrote: »

Source here.

Damn you EU; damn you to hell! How dare you back stab Ireland like this!!1 oh wait...

Great idea as long as it’s controlled by Brussels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Is there votes this evening or just tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

Is there votes this evening or just tomorrow?

afaik schedule now is debate & vote tonight on talking over parliamentary businesses tomorrow, then debate and vote on the bill tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Anyone got a link to Peter Foster's article in the The Telegraph that got Boris so riled? I can't seem to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

SNIP. Please do not bring up SF abstentionism in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

One more defection and the DUP lose all power

I cannot wait

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to Peter Foster's article in the The Telegraph that got Boris so riled? I can't seem to find it.

You can read a Twitter thread from him here :

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1168643035569299456

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

In all the statements and interviews i've read and seen about the proposed legislation to extend A50, i havent seen anyone comment on the actual purpose for seeking that extension, beyond avoiding a no deal exit. Is that on the basis a GE is automatically assumed? Otherwise, it's difficult enough to see how Tusk's "good reason" for extension criteria is fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

One more defection and the DUP lose all power

I cannot wait

What difference does one make? Are you counting Hoey?

This is purely a guess but could she be the first brexit party MP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

That’s from a unionist. Mad

1. Any backstop seeks to maintain the status quo of the Good Friday Agreement so CANNOT be in breach of it.
    2. A "no deal" brexit breaches the GFA in 9 specific areas. (there are a few more less blatant).

https://twitter.com/snevin1/status/1168933647329742852?s=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nody wrote: »

Source here.

Ah. I had been genuinely wondering if and when something like this might happen. The designation is quite hyperbolic IMO, but seems like the obvious move by the EU once the dust settles and no-deal kicked in. I was curious whether a warchest would be given to Ireland to mitigate the damage, given the narrative of solidarity throughout the whole sorry ordeal.

The accidental fallout of Brexit has been the demonstrable ability by the Bloc to show that, yes, the EU is a union of equals. It's not without reason many Eurosceptic parties throughout the EU have dropped "leave the EU" from their manifestos.

In a sea of gloom, this is good news, and one that shows we may yet ride this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1168938164314132481

Big news from Labour but where does that leave the state of play? Boris to force their hands on some sort of money bill or making something else a VoC?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Boris could simply call a vote of No Confidence and get his MPS to vote no confidence. I know that sounds crazy but I wouldn't put anything past him.

Obvious counter is for everyone on the opposition benches to vote confidence in Boris, but I have a feeling that they are not going to play him at his own game if it comes to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hermon has been a genuine Rep for Unionism and I hugely respect her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement