Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Your assumption there is that we are dealing with intelligent people in the Tory party.with the likes of Johnson,raab,and the rest I guess its fairly obvious

Very good point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The cut n thrust Mogg and Bercow. Just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

devnull wrote: »
    JRM is turning on Bercow now and questioning his impartiality and trying now to get the rules changed and stating that they are not consistent.

Honestly the more I hear from JRM the more I hate the guy, it's just his voice and the manner of speaking and the fake portrayal of innocence.

Bercow gave him a good shot back bercow is well able for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

JRM is turning on Bercow now and questioning his impartiality and trying now to get the rules changed and stating that they are not consistent.

Honestly the more I hear from JRM the more I hate the guy, it's just his voice and the manner of speaking and the fake portrayal of innocence.

He certainly let the mask slip yesterday when speaking to that neurologist.
    Horrible man, devoid of empathy, loaded with the arrogance and sense of invincibility that seems to be built in to graduation from Eton.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This may be BoJo's greatest crime - inflicting JRM on the world via his appointment as "house leader." What a weasely slime.

Too bad the names of the PM's speaking aren't given; those of us not all that familiar with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

None.

It's First Past The Post and the recent poll shows that half don't consider themselves as either tribe.

It's more probable that SF would stand aside in some areas, and that's something they are very unlikely to do even if it means DUP winning seats.

SF would be very quick to point out to voters that PR does not exist for Westminster elections and encourage anyone of a remotely nationalist persuasion to vote tactically.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,313 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Got to love JRM not answering the proroguing questions

He makes BJ look like a saint

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

sjb25 wrote: »

Indeed, quite a lot of clapping after that.

Have to say Bercow as always is well researched for all of this and is prepared for what they are going to throw at him. He's been a great speaker, could be in his last few days now but he's really not let gameplayers get the better of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

JRM calling others Arrogant.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

sjb25 wrote: »

Just about to post the same thing....

Brew well ahead of him on that.

JRM talking about "stunning arrogance":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The absolute mind boggling hypocrisy of this man. Procedural irregularities only matter when they come from the other side. But proroguing parliament, thats perfectly normal apparently. Great to see Bercow ripping him a new one - "I will do my job come what may, do or die."

Shelga wrote: »
    He certainly let the mask slip yesterday when speaking to that neurologist.
    Horrible man, devoid of empathy, loaded with the arrogance and sense of invincibility that seems to be built in to graduation from Eton.

What did he say yesterday. All I hear from him is waffle not answering questions until he can give way time and time again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's looking like Boris will have to break the law if he is going to fulfill his 'promise'.

Looking that way, but even if he's forced to go to Brussels looking for an extension, there's still the small matter of the EU actually agreeing to it. As things stand today at the time of writing this (could be out of date in 2 hours time), Brexiteers' best hope of crashing out on 31/10 is the EU just saying, "Yeah, no..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yes obviously with Alliance so what other way as per the GFA could a border poll come about?

When Hermon was rambling on about it to JRM she said a hard border could incentivise SF to have one and she seems to think it'll pass.

Nationalist parties holding more Stormont (or Westminster) seats than unionist parties, neither bloc in a majority, and Alliance/Greens neutral on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Must admit a certain respect for JRM's effective orative abilities. In the same way that there is almost universal acceptance that Hitler did a good job of building Autobahns.

It's just a pity that he's unfathomably delusional. He belongs in the Era of Charles I, not 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Johnson's performance at the dispatch box earlier in the Commons was dreadful. Like some randomer from off the street. Think the Tories looked shocked at how actually bad this guy is.

I don’t know what that one sees in him, esp given his record

briany wrote: »
    Looking that way, but even if he's forced to go to Brussels looking for an extension, there's still the small matter of the EU actually agreeing to it. As things stand today at the time of writing this (could be out of date in 2 hours time), Brexiteers' best hope of crashing out on 31/10 is the EU just saying, "Yeah, no..."

If the EU basically say no to an extension they the British are out on the 31st unless they revoke Article 50

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What did he say yesterday. All I hear from him is waffle not answering questions until he can give way time and time again

Accused a respected doctor of 'scaremongering' and making things up when he began to warn of the potential effects of No Deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

sdanseo wrote: »
    Must admit a certain respect for JRM's effective orative abilities. In the same way that there is almost universal acceptance that Hitler did a good job of building Autobahns.

It's just a pity that he's unfathomably delusional. He belongs in the Era of Charles I, not 2017.

I believe Enoch Powell was also regarded as an intellectual orator, but he'll go down in history due to his views on race and imperialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

JRM just called Letwin an advocate for tyranny. Seriously.

Now JRM is whinging about no-confidence votes and politicking against Corbyn. He's got nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What negotiations is Rhees Mogg mentioning???? There haven't been any for weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The absolute mind boggling hypocrisy of this man. Procedural irregularities only matter when they come from the other side. But proroguing parliament, thats perfectly normal apparently. Great to see Bercow ripping him a new one - "I will do my job come what may, do or die."

To be honest it's good to see that pathetic lying weasel get the legs cut from under him by Bercow expecially after that LBC skit and how he blew off someone with genuine legitimate concerns with remoaner bs and accussing him of scaremongring. He aint able to pull the same shenanigans with someone who wont tolerate his BS and will call out his whinging about not getting his own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

What time is the vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I can envisage a border poll resulting from this.

The Brits are blaming everyone else for this, the EU for supporting the backstop for the border when the UK:

1. Voted to leave the EU.
    2. Partitioned our country.

Problem is they are the only ones who can trigger the border poll and it wont happen if the tories are in charge, and if brexit does happen then i doubt Labour will want to call for one either as it will probably mean scotland get another ref too and suddenly Labour are the ones who disolved the united kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes obviously with Alliance so what other way as per the GFA could a border poll come about?

When Hermon was rambling on about it to JRM she said a hard border could incentivise SF to have one and she seems to think it'll pass.

The SoS needs to have confidence that it has a chance of passing. Opinion polling and SF/SDLP/FF if they run holding a handful more seats than DUP/UUP/TUV in Stormont would be major signs.

There are people voting for Alliance who would vote Yes, people who would vote No and even people who wouldn't even vote in a poll. I know of a long-term party member in Belfast who would see himself as small-u unionist who intends to abstain on a border poll.

Also suspect most PBP voters would vote for UI even though the party likely won't have a position on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Wow. What a powerful moment in the HoC.

All of those opposition MP's & Tory MP's who defected against Johnson have my greatest respect amid throughout all of this chaos.

If someone can give a list of those Tory MP's who went against BJ's wishes by calling for this debate tonight. I will be happy to read their names.

I want to put them on my Xmas card list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

VinLieger wrote: »
    Problem is they are the only ones who can trigger the border poll and it wont happen if the tories are in charge, and if brexit does happen then i doubt Labour will want to call for one either as it will probably mean scotland get another ref too and suddenly Labour are the ones who disolved the united kingdom

On the other hand if theres a GE and the SNP are the kingmakers then a 2nd indyref could be the price for Labour getting into power and if they vote for independence then its likely NI wont be far behind with a border poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭briany

VinLieger wrote: »

If the clamour for a BP or Indy ref become high enough, the UK would be dealing with its own version of the Catalan crisis on two fronts. It would be one thing just to ignore that, but the world media would be covering it, and they'd constantly be having to explain why they don't act upon the requests.
    Infini wrote: »
    On the other hand if theres a GE and the SNP are the kingmakers then a 2nd indyref could be the price for Labour getting into power and if they vote for independence then its likely NI wont be far behind with a border poll.

Supposing the Scotland voted for independence. What does the process following that look like? I assume they wouldn't be out the next day and there'd be a process of exiting the UK. And considering the current political atmosphere in the UK, would that process be protracted and bitter? Brexiteers have how they see their struggle to leave the EU. I would expect them to deftly try and flip that rhetoric around when it comes to making Scotland's exit from the UK a difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

What time is the vote?

As far as I know the debate is due to end at around 9:50. So some time after that I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Prime Time will be back live from Westminster tonight for a Brexit Special with David McCullough to analyze tonight's debate in the HoC. Richard Downes will be getting the views of people about the debate from London. Miriam O'Callaghan will be with Paschal Donohue in studio to talk about funding companies along the border who have the potential to be hit hard from a No-Deal Brexit.

https://twitter.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1168903427189067776

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement