Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Rees-Mogg is not inspiring confidence, avoiding the question of when he knew about the plan to prorogue parliament. Obviously he was aware of it before the plans became apparent as he has avoided providing an answer many times already. Once he said he was at Lords watching the cricket on the 16th, note he didn't confirm or deny he heard it first on that date wherever he was. Then the next one was not being able to tell them which date he knew about the plan. So it is easy to think that he knew about the plans around the 16th August seeing he is trying to avoid answering that question.

He also keeps droning on and on about the proroguing being normal, but we know it is not as the length of time it shuts down parliament is unprecedented. This government may be even more useless than May's, and that takes some doing.

As for the real issue, David Lammy nails it.

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1168848827375394817?s=20

'The fastest way to "move on" from Brexit is to stop it democratically.'

If the UK wants to forget about Brexit then they need to drop it. If they want to continue then they have to know they are going to be talking about the EU forever, as they will always be the closest neighbour and due to geography it will just continue on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Got to love JRM not answering the proroguing questions

He makes BJ look like a saint

He is such a snake oil salesman, refusing the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Charles Stewart Parnell getting a mention in the Palace of Westminster for probably the first time since he graced those halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

christ the echo chamber in here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

By all means, instead of complaining about us echoing ourselves in here, care to add anything to the discussion that we can discuss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

care to say what you mean or just a 1 liner with nothing substantive

Enzokk wrote: »
    By all means, instead of complaining about us echoing ourselves in here, care to add anything to the discussion that we can discuss?

You beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Charles Stewart Parnell getting a mention in the Palace of Westminster for probably the first time since he graced those halls.
    I missed that, what was it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The house hasnt seen anything as unconstitutional since Parnell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You beat me to it

One might say you ended up echoing his post:p

• Advertisement

I know things maybe different from here as in here local area (normally) vote on who goes for election so how can they stop people who vote for this tonight from not running. I also presume it is a private vote so how can they tell (bar those who have some out) who voted against it

JRM said that the debate and vote hasn’t been seen since CSP tried to “bung up parliament”

Who said that?

JRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ah man I just learned that Phillip Lee defects to Lib Dems

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/sep/03/tory-mp-phillip-lee-defects-to-lib-dems-midway-through-johnson-speech-video

The head on BJ was priceless

One might say you ended up echoing his post:p

I am glad i had my drink down before reading that or I would have accidentally christened another keyboard:P within 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

devnull wrote: »
    JRM is turning on Bercow now and questioning his impartiality and trying now to get the rules changed and stating that they are not consistent and the motion should be amended.

Honestly the more I hear from JRM the more I hate the guy, it's just his voice and the manner of speaking and the fake portrayal of innocence.

He's has been shown up for what he is. It's all cosplay with him.

He presents himself as old school true blue arch conservative where everything is about values and the institutions above all else but was quite happy to ride roughshod over their constitution when it suited his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What Parnell did was for the greater good, so why did he raise it as an example? Some might say he is in the same league..

Mogg is a stupid persons idea of a clever person.
    Nonsense and lies delivered with a plummy accent are still nonsense and lies.

I never thought I’d say it but I really like Kenneth Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Sinn Fein should stand down their MP's in the event of an election and allow the SDLP to run for the 7 seats instead. It won't happen but it would allow the Nationalist voice to enter the HoC and veto whatever. However like I have always maintained is that I would like the hardest of Brexits and turn the screw on the North and force a United Ireland which I feel is now inevitable as a direct result of all this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I used to really detest the guy to be honest but on everything related to Brexit I have agreed with him and become a fan of him. Also my impression of John Major has improved during the whole Brexit debate.

• Advertisement

North Korea getting on the record of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So what, if the SoS is having a good day and personally things it will pass he can just say go ahead? Or is there a set of guidelines on what he has to go by to show a majority?

Slightly ridiculously, yes.

“if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland”

From the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Was just about to say the same :) listen to him.for the night :)

devnull wrote: »
    I used to really detest the guy to be honest but on everything related to Brexit I have agreed with him and become a fan of him. Also my impression of John Major has improved during the whole Brexit debate.

Just to be clear I’m not saying I do/would agree with many of his views, as you say on brexit he seems to talk unbelievable sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Clarke doing a class act send up of Mogg. Love it

And then They cut him off midflow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FFS Ken Clarke basically calling Mogg a liar to his face and the whole prorogation a scam and Sky News cuts to a break...

Thargor wrote: »
    FFS Ken Clarke basically calling Mogg a liar to his face and the whole prorogation a scam and Sky News cuts to a break...

Go to YouTube and type in House of Commons live and there are a few live feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No ads here (and all on the UK tax payer's dime rather than paying Sky for what's free)

UK Parliament Website

https://parliamentlive.tv/Commons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Tory MP Henry Smith said on Twitter tonight that it was outrageous that No-Deal opponents from the UK opposition are going through with chances to block any attempt of No Deal Brexit in Parliament, after a record majority voted Leave 3 years ago, as a true denial of democracy.

https://twitter.com/HenrySmithUK/status/1168955279029014528

He also said that their plans would allow Brussels to decide on what is best for Brexit. Whether it occurs or not it seems from his perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Thargor wrote: »

No breaks on the web feed dedicated to the debate (different from broadcast)
    https://news.sky.com/story/live-mps-prepare-to-launch-efforts-to-block-no-deal-brexit-11801143

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement