Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Go to YouTube and type in House of Commons live and there are a few live feeds.
    I dont need to know whats going on I follow it all day long, its the Sky News viewership and all the people who might have it on with their dinner I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

I never thought I’d say it but I really like Kenneth Clarke.

was just about to post something similar

". says it would be "quite horrendous" for Parliament to "allow itself to be sidelined". He congratulates the Leader of the House Jacob Rees-Mogg for "keeping a straight face" while he is making "incredible" arguments.."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

They haven't gone away you know.

It's all getting too much for Johnson. Nowhere to go and Dom Cummings looking more and more like a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I never thought I’d say it but I really like Kenneth Clarke.

Why wouldn't you like someone who is honest and has tons of years of experience, and is still prepared to object to No Deal. There has to be some admiration of those who say it as it is, Tory or not.

Listen to his interview with James O'Brien on the "Full Disclosure" podcast. Just the same as J oB's interview with Rory Stewart on the same podcast series.

Doesn't matter if you like J O'B or not, I found these interviews very interesting and enlightening. Take it or leave it! Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kenneth Clarke talking massive sense on the Irish backstop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Mogg steaming at clarke can see it his face

Have to say Ken Clarke best speaker so far so much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Nigel Farage has now come out to say in the British media that if BJ goes back to the WA by forcing it through Parliament. The BP will be "fighting" for every seat against the Tories at the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is JRM laying down on the front bench ? He’s not sitting up straight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A lot of question dodging and sh!te talking from Mogg. Still talking about WTO rules after the gov have lost it's majority. Mad stuff. Also, looks like some craic outside westminister!

Well Kenneth Clarke is the Father of the House, he is not standing in the next election, so he can say what he likes, in fact I think he always did anyway.

The newer cohort are always looking behind their backs for the Knives and are probably not so brave. Their futures may be lanced by one bad word.

Some democracy alright. And honestly, the shouting and roaring that goes on in the Commons is just unreal. WTAF? Must be tradition, but Bercow must need honey and lemon drops to keep his voice audible amongst that rabble. Fair dues to him.

Rees Mogg is a caricature of himself. His mellifluous tones might just impress some, but to me he is just a stick insect with a mission to make millions on the back of Brexit. He is ERG after all, you know, that party within a party, that along with 10 DUP is more dictatorial about Brexit than we probably will ever know.

Forget about the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Johnson's performance at the dispatch box earlier in the Commons was dreadful. Like some randomer from off the street. Think the Tories looked shocked at how actually bad this guy is.

All of the Tories, including Phil Hammond and Ken Clarke had a go at him. It's unprecedented how bad BJ is. It was nice to see something united the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tory MP Henry Smith said on Twitter tonight that it was outrageous that No-Deal opponents from the UK opposition are going through with chances to block any attempt of No Deal Brexit in Parliament, after a record majority voted Leave 3 years ago, as a true denial of democracy.

https://twitter.com/HenrySmithUK/status/1168955279029014528

He also said that their plans would allow Brussels to decide on what is best for Brexit. Whether it occurs or not it seems from his perspective.

Sorry but that record majority vote line does tend to get on my wick a bit and i must have heard it mentioned at least 10 times over the past couple of days alone. When people say the biggest vote ever voted to leave the EU, it conveniently omits the equally relevant fact that the second biggest vote ever voted to remain in the EU. It was 52-48, a slim majority, not the unambiguous, huge mandate they seek to imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

JRM is fast finding out that there is a massive difference between hurling from the ditch and being at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tony Connelly got a shout out on Sky news

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Go wan Tony, doing us proud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Nick Boles spoke well there

Leroy42 wrote: »
    JRM is fast finding out that there is a massive difference between hurling from the ditch and being at the front.
    So is Johnson. It's far harder to defend the crap you come out with when it's coming at you left, right and centre.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rees-Mogg looks like he’s lying up watching telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So is Johnson. It's far harder to defend the crap you come out with when it's coming at you left, right and centre.

Yeah, from the talking heads I have seen it (so therefore probably not a complete reflection but a small sample nonetheless) appears that he was next to useless today. The big hope of the Tory party is fast being shown up as a total liability.

MadYaker wrote: »
    A lot of question dodging and sh!te talking from Mogg. Still talking about WTO rules after the gov have lost it's majority. Mad stuff. Also, looks like some craic outside westminister!

What's happening, is is demos? Not near a TV right now. Sky live slow on phone due to crap wifi. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Headshot wrote: »
    Tony Connelly got a shout out on Sky news

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Go wan Tony, doing us proud
    Was just about to say that.allister Campbell praising him to the hilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Well Kenneth Clarke is the Father of the House, he is not standing in the next election, so he can say what he likes, in fact I think he always did anyway.

The newer cohort are always looking behind their backs for the Knives and are probably not so brave. Their futures may be lanced by one bad word.

Some democracy alright. And honestly, the shouting and roaring that goes on in the Commons is just unreal. WTAF? Must be tradition, but Bercow must need honey and lemon drops to keep his voice audible amongst that rabble. Fair dues to him.

Rees Mogg is a caricature of himself. His mellifluous tones might just impress some, but to me he is just a stick insect with a mission to make millions on the back of Brexit. He is ERG after all, you know, that party within a party, that along with 10 DUP is more dictatorial about Brexit than we probably will ever know.

Forget about the people.

Is there a”stop the coup” plan for the Boris visit next week?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

awec wrote: »
    Rees-Mogg looks like he’s lying up watching telly.

Of course he is lying. It is the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah. I had been genuinely wondering if and when something like this might happen. The designation is quite hyperbolic IMO, but seems like the obvious move by the EU once the dust settles and no-deal kicked in. I was curious whether a warchest would be given to Ireland to mitigate the damage, given the narrative of solidarity throughout the whole sorry ordeal.

The accidental fallout of Brexit has been the demonstrable ability by the Bloc to show that, yes, the EU is a union of equals. It's not without reason many Eurosceptic parties throughout the EU have dropped "leave the EU" from their manifestos.

In a sea of gloom, this is good news, and one that shows we may yet ride this out.
    It also shows planning on the EU's part and a tacit admission that nothing remotely useful will come out of a country in political meltdown between now and when they finally leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jizique wrote: »
    Is there a”stop the coup” plan for the Boris visit next week?
    Why would there be? It's happening in a different country. Far better to simply ignore his visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why would there be? It's happening in a different country. Far better to simply ignore his visit.

Plenty of Brits here. I'm sure would love to have their voice heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Who was she. She at least had the heart of about a million Theresas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ah. I had been genuinely wondering if and when something like this might happen. The designation is quite hyperbolic IMO, but seems like the obvious move by the EU once the dust settles and no-deal kicked in. I was curious whether a warchest would be given to Ireland to mitigate the damage, given the narrative of solidarity throughout the whole sorry ordeal.

The accidental fallout of Brexit has been the demonstrable ability by the Bloc to show that, yes, the EU is a union of equals. It's not without reason many Eurosceptic parties throughout the EU have dropped "leave the EU" from their manifestos.

In a sea of gloom, this is good news, and one that shows we may yet ride this out.

no worries. shure they can give us back de 200 billion. great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Who was she. She at least had the heart of about a million Theresas

Anna Soubry i think you mean. Very good speaker when she keeps a tight rein on it as she just about did there, has a tendency to fly a bit off the handle at times, but that was right on the mark to be fair to her.

listermint wrote: »
    Plenty of Brits here. I'm sure would love to have their voice heard.
    They were demonstrating outside the British Embassy this evening.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

Totally agree. No need to feed the ego of a narcissist who thinks everyone loves him.

By your deeds shall you know them. Let them at it themselves.

But I hope this will not be a sock comparison or anything remotely amusing anymore. We are in serious times here and we will see who the real politicians are. Hopefully. Time to get tough now and ignore the buffoonery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement