Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Who is this MP taking now ?

The woman?

Kate Hoey. Labour party (in name only).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Who is this MP taking now ?

Robert Courts MP (Witney, Conservative)

Parliament Live has a list of who's speaking to the right of the video stream : https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/ff02f7f6-014a-4a8c-9ef7-bd2cd9986e53

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kate Hoey was talking a few minutes ago, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I wish I were more positive, but I don't think the rebel plot will succeed. Great if it does though and I am hoping for that.

Another day and another watch of Parliament Live yippee.

Us anoraks love this don't we? Whether we admit it or not.

Our own Dail is so dull in comparison. All reading scripts AFAIS. But that's off topic.

Has the vote been approved yet for no to NO DEAL does anyone know? Maybe that vote hasn't been taken yet dunno.

Have a life, with one eye on things!

Result just in time for the BBC News at Ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Enzokk wrote: »
    Kate Hooey throwing mud and dubious facts. She states that the bill would give the EU powers to decide for the UK, which is not true. If the EU proposes a date longer than the proposed date it has to be approved by parliament I believe.

Then she mentions that proroguing is only 4-5 days extra, which it isn't. It is stopping all of parliament work for 5 weeks, strange that they never bother with this. Didn't sound like she had much support.
    The labour party cannot wait to see the back of her, the shadow cabinet often say she's not a labour politician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

christ the echo chamber in here

This isn't a "pineapple on pizza; delicious or disgusting?" kind of thing. It's more of a "setting my terraced house on fire because of a spider; good idea or bad idea?" kind of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Caroline Lucas calling out Moggs position. Good on her

Caroline Lucas is a very impressive speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

She pissed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Headshot wrote: »
    The labour party cannot wait to see the back of her, the shadow cabinet often say she's not a labour politician

Incredible as it may seem, she represents the largest remain voting constituency in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Very interesting tweets from Robert Peston.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1168981967469256704

Saying that, if vote lost tonight, Johnson would accept it and use that to force Labour into agreeing to GE. He wins he election, on a NO Deal manifesto, and his majority can overturn the legislation and they leave on 31st.

Jebus, the whole thing is a total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

awec wrote: »
    The woman?

Kate Hoey. Labour party (in name only).

Oh yeah. I should have known with the tone.

Mogg getting called out by everyone now

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well done Tom Brake for calling out JRM

disgraceful behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Though corburn spoke well and showed a bit more leadership than normal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

This isn't a "pineapple on pizza; delicious or disgusting?" kind of thing. It's more of a "setting my terraced house on fire because of a spider; good idea or bad idea?" kind of a thing.

hmmm
    for the record
    i hate the tories
    i hate the EU
    i hate ff fg lab sf etc

so more like my house is infested with rats (ff fg)
    my roof has been loaned out for 2m euro (eu)
    my land has been seized by absentee landlord aka 1750 (tories)
    i wear glasses i must die (lab Corbyn)

I just see the worst evil EU being weakened. dat is all. carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

That blond haired woman on sky news is an odious piece of work.Campbell has being knocking 7 shades of sh*ye out of her and she is still full of unicorns and bigly trade deals outside of EU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

boggerman1 wrote: »
    That blond haired woman on sky news is an odious piece of work.Campbell has being knocking 7 shades of sh*ye out of her and she is still full of unicorns and bigly trade deals outside of EU

allister de hero. go tell de iraqi people and tony blair

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

boggerman1 wrote: »

Isabel Oakshott is it?

Not watching Sky but the description fits. (Arron Banks's partner/GF/muse I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

What time is the debate being moved to a vote on the motion ?

• Advertisement

A Scottish Conservative, they're going to be a rare breed after the next election..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sorry but that record majority vote line does tend to get on my wick a bit and i must have heard it mentioned at least 10 times over the past couple of days alone. When people say the biggest vote ever voted to leave the EU, it conveniently omits the equally relevant fact that the second biggest vote ever voted to remain in the EU. It was 52-48, a slim majority, not the unambiguous, huge mandate they seek to imply.

Well tbf; I do agree with you 100% that it was not a record majority. I should have put the word record in quotes because that result of that 1st referendum was nowhere near a 'record' majority. If the UK had written up & passed the special legislation in parliament to have another referendum on a potential No-Deal Brexit. The next result of that referendum, depending on what question is asked from it, could command a much higher & historic majority among the British public to either vote for one of two potential options of the staying in the EU along with 'No Deal' or 'Leave' & that is either 'No Brexit' or 'Remain'.

But observing this outcome is all dependent if the Tories & BJ are kicked out of the vote in the next snap GE.

I am not sure whether the original WA comes into play again into British politics at all when the UK is teetering close to a No-Deal scenario at this current time. If you heard Nigel Farage's comment about the BP fighting for every seat in the GE against the Tories. That will give big opportunities for Farage to dilute BJ's majority in the British Parliament.

Undermine this prime minister ? He's doing that himself without any help.

A Tory MP talking about arrogance ? Ah lads it's a spitting image sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Very interesting tweets from Robert Peston.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1168981967469256704

Saying that, if vote lost tonight, Johnson would accept it and use that to force Labour into agreeing to GE. He wins he election, on a NO Deal manifesto, and his majority can overturn the legislation and they leave on 31st.

Jebus, the whole thing is a total mess.

If he wants to run on a no-deal platform then he will need to tell the people what it will mean. I am sure they will try to deny it but looking at how it is being leaked all the time and reports like below it will take some misinformation campaign to get away with it again.

Don’t buy the bluff. Here’s the truth about no-deal Brexit

So let him run on no-deal and if the other parties are not able to call him out and he wins a majority, then so be it. At least there will be clarity for the EU and we can start focusing on no-deal mitigation rather than hoping for sense to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The DUP lady seemed genuinely terrified that a no deal dramatically increases the likelihood of a border poll which could be successful.
    By extrapolation, that means No Deal makes a wholesale breakup of the union more likely.

Is no deal a win win for Nationalists in the long term?
    Accelerates a UI by potentially decades

trellheim wrote: »
    What time is the debate being moved to a vote on the motion ?

About 10pm or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Scottish Conservative, they're going to be a rare breed after the next election..

59/59 has to be somewhat within sight for the SNP. One of the prime reasons I'd have avoided Swinson as leader of the Lib Dems (the other being that she's effectively an Orangey Yellow Tory; but then again that might be whats needed now...)

No deal has not been examined ?

• Advertisement

How can Sheep farmers to readjust to exactly ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement