Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am surprised that the UK thinks no-deal is a negotiating strategy. It seems to me that they are so insular that many of them think the EU is some sort of enemy and needs to be crushed, but it seems to me that it is actually far from the truth. The EU is politicians, who are just like the UK MPs. It is remarkable that they seem to think they are an enemy when in reality if they were more reasonable themselves you would get a better result with the negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Leadsom saying rebels will NOT lose whip tonight and will have second chance tomorrow.

Looks like it will be a closer run thing tomorrow.

Why is she saying this, she is no longer the Leader of the House, but I suppose JRM was sprawled out on the Commons benches and couldn't be bothered get up to make a statement.

Wasn't it he who went to Balmoral to her Maj to sign for Proroguation.

Honestly WTAF is UK thinking now. They are off their heads.

I never did think that this would succeed, but was hopeful tonight. Not so much for tomorrow.

More fkn Drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The people of the UK aren't ever putting a charlatan like Corbyn into number 10. Today is a marvelous day for the people who voted to leave the EU.
    No chance. The UK are leaving the EU in a few weeks. The remoaners have been led on a merry dance
    That's a remarkable impression of Comical Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

gmisk wrote: »
    It's er a secret?....so much so the EU haven't been told anything.

This was a bit of an elephant in the room tonight. Everyone already knew that there were no negotiations worth speaking of but yet the whole tory spin was that they needed the no-deal option on the table to negotiate? I get that they were playing to their brexit constituency but they surely can't think that they're that stupid? Can they?

So what's the next big step in this? Presumably it's now up to Corbyn to agree to an election. I know that he's an ideologue but I haven't figured out yet if he's stupid, whatever I might think about his poorly closeted communist tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

So, they are now kicked out but may be accepted back if they repent? Some hope, why rebel tonight if you don't support the motion tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's not guaranteed, but after all this and if the bill tomorrow passes the optics for the EU would be atrocious if they did anything but accept.
    The EU have asked for real alternatives otherwise the WA stands and on 31 October they are pretty much out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,316 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If your like me and not good with names, here's the pics of the 21 rebels

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/711?byMember=false

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1169001298164932610

What is Johnson playing at? How does this help his agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Sure, nothing at all to do with the decisions of the Greek government over many years, it's all the EUs fault :rolleyes:

am i right

clintons obama: good massive frauds clinton foundation

eu good: caveat umtor. ahhh no Germany checks on de loans not needed

ger: wat merc shud we buy gunter??
    Athens: i have ate well 2day. i ate dog food.

54and56 wrote: »
    Would a new UK govt, particularly a Labour or Labour led coalition, not be a good reason?
    Probably not unless they were prepared to go with the original deal or explore real alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Enzokk wrote: »
    I am surprised that the UK thinks no-deal is a negotiating strategy. It seems to me that they are so insular that many of them think the EU is some sort of enemy and needs to be crushed, but it seems to me that it is actually far from the truth. The EU is politicians, who are just like the UK MPs. It is remarkable that they seem to think they are an enemy when in reality if they were more reasonable themselves you would get a better result with the negotiations.

I can understand the DUP having this mindset. It works for them in that when the negotiations fail things don't fall to pieces because the grownups take the reins. The Conservatives having this mindset is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Popeleo wrote: »
    McGiver wrote: »
    3/5ths 60% only, some 380

Nope. Two-thirds of total seats. So 650 /3 *2 = 433.333

So 434 votes needed.
    Stand corrected. No way getting that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

is_that_so wrote: »
    The EU have asked for real alternatives otherwise the WA stands and on 31 October they are pretty much out.

I'm aware of what they've said but I still think that after parliament finally taking some action (and an election looking fairly likely) that there is almost zero chance of them not granting an extension. It would essentially look like the EU forcing the UK out over the wishes of its parliament and that is not something they will be keen on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

So, they are now kicked out but may be accepted back if they repent? Some hope, why rebel tonight if you don't support the motion tomorrow?
    After tonight it will be easier to rebel tomorrow, mite even be one or two more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why is she saying this, she is no longer the Leader of the House, but I suppose JRM was sprawled out on the Commons benches and couldn't be bothered get up to make a statement.
    Well apparently she's talking through her fundament. It's getting to the stage now whee you have to ask if it's a Tory or not to see if it's a lie.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1169001298164932610

What is Johnson playing at? How does this help his agenda?

The only thing that makes sence at this stage is that he is trying to force an election that he thinks he can win on a hard Brexit ticket. Anything the current parliament does can easily be undone if he is returned with a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

is_that_so wrote: »

Think general election is generally viewed as an acceptable scenario for an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's not guaranteed, but after all this and if the bill tomorrow passes the optics for the EU would be atrocious if they did anything but accept.

Maybe the EU is getting sick of the from looking for an extension and after getting it going on holidays then have a leadership election and then going on holidays with no concrete proposals. So they might go nope bye or they might go well here is 2 months either have something by then or your out

am i right

I have not the slightes idea what you are trying to say. This is meaningless drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am wary. It is Tories we are talking about.

OK tonight won the vote to proceed. But the REAL vote is tomorrow. I reckon there will be waverers. Tonights vote was just to have a vote. Honestly!

We shall see. So much fkn drama, you would really wonder how real life and necessary ordinary legislation gets a look in now with all this going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok question why is Kate hoey still in labour? Is she not pretty much aligned with the DUP these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

My hole. This is all choreographed. The EU will let on they're reluctantly giving extension. In reality, its incredibly difficult to escape the clutches of the EU

It's incredibly easy actually.

1st) Don't own parts of other countries.

2nd) Pass negotiated deal or just leave.

3rd) Don't blame the EU for the fact your country has severe xenophobic issues/imperial nostalgia/delusions of grandeur.

4th) Don't beg for extensions

Britain, appears incapable of all four

Maybe they could ask Greenland for help?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

am i right

WTF is that

I'm aware of what they've said but I still think that after parliament finally taking some action (and an election looking fairly likely) that there is almost zero chance of them not granting an extension. It would essentially look like the EU forcing the UK out over the wishes of its parliament and that is not something they will be keen on.
    I would be very surprised if they did grant one. The only possible circumstance might be a new HoC finally agreeing to the WA deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I have not the slightes idea what you are trying to say. This is meaningless drivel.

check the suicide rate in Greece
    combine that with German gdp till recent
    good man...

• Administrators Posts: 53,822 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok question why is Kate hoey still in labour? Is she not pretty much aligned with the DUP these days?

Kate Hoey is from Northern Ireland, but her constituency is in England. Not too many DUP voters in Vauxhall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I am wary. It is Tories we are talking about.

OK tonight won the vote to proceed. But the REAL vote is tomorrow. I reckon there will be waverers. Tonights vote was just to have a vote. Honestly!

We shall see. So much fkn drama, you would really wonder how real life and necessary ordinary legislation gets a look in now with all this going on.
    depaffell will lose tomorrow no doubt mate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Re the current sheep export debate.

So if the Japanese agreement performs as well as expected, it could account for 2.67% of current exports to the EU. Two IF's there.

tariffs averaging about 40% are imposed on lamb exports to the EU as a result of a no-deal Brexit. ( 40% is the BBC figure , link has 38% to 91%)

From live TV -Cheap New Zealand lamb will attract UK tariffs

Because of BSE UK and Irish lamb was banned by Japan until recently.

So why wouldn't Japan just buy New Zealand lamb instead ?

The simple fact is
    The EU accounts for 97% of British sheep meat exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

They can't even spell 'the'

• Advertisement

check the suicide rate in Greece
    combine that with German gdp till recent
    good man...

Why...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement