Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

maebee wrote: »
    I doubt it will be a closer run thing tomorrow. They voted against their leader tonight after being told they would lose the whip in doing so. They have to carry their convictions through tomorrow. If they don't, their actions tonight were meaningless.

It will be a much greater than 17 majority tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Popeleo wrote: »
    According to Newsnight, Rory Stewart has left the bad ship Tory also.
    Seems to be he won't be standing at the next election.
    It's a shame I actually think he would make a decent PM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

farmerval wrote: »
    Is there any chance that Boris is being ridden by Dominic Cummins? Did Cummins spot his chance to really f**K up Westminster as he always wanted to do and sees Boris as his best chance.
    Boris is so desperate to be in power that he's handed over all authority to Cummins, who has ever only really wanted to cause destruction to what most people consider normal functioning Government, what if he has no interest in Boris future career has just seen a golden opportunity of harnessing the moment and Boris desperation to drive the whole lot off a cliff.
    Maybe that's the game theory he's been playing.
    The last idiot(Varoufakis) to play game theory at this type of level was told not to come back to EU meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Step away from the keyboard and get some sleep. Corbyn has zero chance of becoming PM.

We can debate the percentage, but he definitely has a non zero chance of becoming PM. Posts like these are completely terrible and fall way short of the standard expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If a GE is called, would this be the fastest a British PM has lost control over his government ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

am i right

clintons obama: good massive frauds clinton foundation

eu good: caveat umtor. ahhh no Germany checks on de loans not needed

ger: wat merc shud we buy gunter??
    Athens: i have ate well 2day. i ate dog food.

wtf did I just read ?

I had no idea Justine Greening is also going to be leaving as well!
    So pretty much the 21 who rebelled were all moderates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    If a GE is called, would this be the fastest a British PM has lost control over his government ?

I think the Tories would win the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

farmerval wrote: »
    Is there any chance that Boris is being ridden by Dominic Cummins? Did Cummins spot his chance to really f**K up Westminster as he always wanted to do and sees Boris as his best chance.
    Boris is so desperate to be in power that he's handed over all authority to Cummins, who has ever only really wanted to cause destruction to what most people consider normal functioning Government, what if he has no interest in Boris future career has just seen a golden opportunity of harnessing the moment and Boris desperation to drive the whole lot off a cliff.
    Maybe that's the game theory he's been playing.
    Depends how much Cummins was involved before Johnson took office, but what Boris is doing makes a certain amount of sense given Johnson's stated goals: leave on the 31st of next month, deal or no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Surely this is unprecedented, how can an advisor confront the leader of the opposition like this?

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1169004516840235014?s=20

They are desperately looking for an election, hoping they can win their majority and do what he wants with the UK, seeing as most reports are that Johnson is lazy and will gladly play at PM while Cummings runs the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Perhaps, but I doubt Boris will be in charge then.

That is, if they can find someone to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh it’s kicking off on virgin media with a conservative MP. He’s not happy that Boris Johnson was called a serial liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Popeleo wrote: »
    According to Newsnight, Rory Stewart has left the bad ship Tory also.

I am not one bit surprised. Whatever your views are on UK party politics he struck me as someone who was quite honest in his views. Good to see someone with the courage of their convictions. When I heard him being interviewed I knew (drama bugle sound), that UK had lost a great potential leader.

I think he will go far in time myself, but what do I know. The current crop are a disaster.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They'll have the most seats more than likely, but they won't "Win".

Projections from a few days ago had them losing 5-7 seats from current levels

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pro Brexit Tory on Tonight Show claims to be a "moderate person" until Cooper calls Boris a serial liar then its "IRELAND DID WHAT IT WAS TOLD TO HAVE A SECOND REFERENDUM UNTIL IT GOT THE RIGHT ANSWER. WE RESPECT DEMOCRACY IN THIS COUNTRY, IRELAND SHOULD BE MORE SUPPORTIVE, OUR PEOPLE VOTED LEAVE AND THATS UPSETTING PEOPLE IN IRELAND"

Good job pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I doubt Boris will be in charge then.

That is, if they can find someone to replace him.

Nah the Tory membership loves Boris, he can do no wrong in their eyes, its a cult complex very much in the mould of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Infini wrote: »
    gmisk wrote: »
    Ok question why is Kate hoey still in labour? Is she not pretty much aligned with the DUP these days?

Think the real question is why havent Labour dumped her for being an obious troll and 5th Column, shes little more than a UKIP infiltrator.
    Worse than that. Ukip DUP hybrid. Scary stuff, nasty.

Id probably agree...but might need some of the brexit party for a majority again along with the DUP? In other words a hard brexit incoming.
    Then again weren't they miles ahead on polling before last GE and just about got over the line?

if Labour had a unified message and a better leader they would walk it, just look how much the Lib Dems have picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    They'll have the most seats more than likely, but they won't "Win".

Projections from a few days ago had them losing 5-7 seats from current levels
    And if the current opposition work out pacts and other strategies the Tories could end up as the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

21 are being contacted and told they have lost the Tory whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think the JRM phone in from the neurosurgeon who worked on project yellowhammer was posted here yesterday. Well guess what? Dr. Philip Lee who walked to the LibDem benches today heard it...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh it’s kicking off on virgin media with a conservative MP. He’s not happy that Boris Johnson was called a serial liar.

He makes a good point though, the British public voted for Brexit so they will deliver it. Over here in Ireland when we didn't vote for Lisbon, we bowed before the EU and done another vote until we got the result the EU wanted. No words from Ivan/Matt on that truth.

Limpy wrote: »
    Why have a second referendum. In that case then run every referendum that was close in previous year's. Just like Lisbon treaty when the EU don't have it the way they want they cry foul.

Remoaners... perfectly fitting
    I am not sure the EU were allowed to vote on brexit so they aren't crying foul...also the Lisbon treaty that was voted on a second time had changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,069 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If there was a new peoples vote I think they'd vote to leave with a ''No Deal Brexit'' , the stupid are well motivated and would outnumber the people with a bit of sense.
    N.I would vote to Remain, as would Scotland and London, but the rest of the country would outnumber them, the uneducated, and the people on the dole their whole lives would win the day. Those idiots think it's a football match, Eng v EU and they're cheering for England.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

gmisk wrote: »
    Id probably agree...but might need some of the brexit party for a majority again along with the DUP? In other words a hard brexit incoming.
    Then again weren't they miles ahead on polling before last GE and just about got over the line?

if Labour had a unified message and a better leader they would walk it, just look how much the Lib Dems have picked up.

The Brexit party will not win a single seat.

They'll cost the Tories a few, but because of FPTP they have next to no chance of taking a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Stupid question but I just want to be absolutely clear- does having the whip removed mean you’re essentially kicked out of the party?? So will these 21 MPs now sit as Independents?

To remove the whip from Ken Clarke- simply incredible what is happening tonight.

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    He makes a good point though, the British public voted for Brexit so they will deliver it. Over here in Ireland when we didn't vote for Lisbon, we bowed before the EU and done another vote until we got the result the EU wanted. No words from Ivan/Matt on that truth.
    That was because parties didn't bother their rear ends to explain what it was about and allowed Ganley to run riot with all manner of false claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shelga wrote: »
    Stupid question but I just want to be absolutely clear- does having the whip removed mean you’re essentially kicked out of the party?? So will these 21 MPs now sit as Independents?

To remove the whip from Ken Clarke- simply incredible what is happening tonight.

No...they go to the backbenches.
    They face been 'deselected' to stand next time out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think the JRM phone in from the neurosurgeon who worked on project yellowhammer was posted here yesterday. Well guess what? Dr. Philip Lee who walked to the LibDem benches today heard it...

The response from JRM on that was just as I expected. Prat. But there will be no sanction will there?

Meanwhile the medics have to cope.

You really do have to question this type of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement