Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

He's like a drunk homeless man who just wandered in off the street.

EDkgeuQXYAA_Ryb.jpg

Meanwhile that Image of Moggles a few pages back has gone viral and they're really tearing into him for being so strung up

[I

That stuck up attitude he has towards peoples concerns is really coming back to bite him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

Of course the EU will. The UK leaving is their worst nightmare.

Watch tonight's TV. The UK government is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Can't see how attacking Boris, Cummings and Mogg with memes is going to change anything. It's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The Tories are back in the game in regards to the next G.E. They have a single issue ticket to bring to all those Brexit voters. Boris " I want a good deal but will settle for no deal if the E.U. try to dictate to old Blighty" Vs. the opposition.

A few months ago the Tories were dead in the polls. They are rolling the dice,and I can't see Farrage standing in their way when the alternative is Corbyn and the Lib Dems.

It's the U.k.s version "make america great again". No in depth detail needed for the brexit believers . Boris is now there only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    That is not the truth. Our Government favoured the Lisbon treaty, after the first referendum they made a political calculation that if some of the issues raised in the referendum campain were addressed, such as Tax, EU army etc, then they could swing the result in a re-run. History proved them to be correct.

The people expressed concerns, those concerns were addressed, the people gave their consent. What exactly is the problem with that?

The British government ratified the same treaty without asking the people at all. We had a referendum, which failed, but got improvements so passed second time.
    Much more democratic than no vote in the first place so he can f*** right off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sabat wrote: »
    Read his website https://dominiccummings.com/ - the man is cuckoo bananas. In that lengthy most recent entry he says that there is an "urgent" need to establish a base on the moon. The bulk of his musings, hidden amongst reams of rambling management jargon, are about pre-selecting the most intelligent people and training them to run the world. Basically his main influence seems to be Hugo Drax from Moonraker...

I actually agree with him on establishing a base on the Moon.

It's about time humanity didn't have all its eggs in one basket. The Basket is heating up and the eggs will soon be starting to boil.

Although the rest of the stuff is a bit odd.

Can't see how attacking Boris, Cummings and Mogg with memes is going to change anything. It's happening.

It aint over till the fat lady sing's. And we havent past the point of no return yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Ah yes, the ever elusive ‘it’.

The German car manufacturers will have a word with the rebel Tory’s tomorrow and make them change their minds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The opposition has a majority of 43 tonight.
    Why is it 43?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Wish someone videoed this :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/pms-guru-dominic-cummings-goads-19400954.amp

"The oddball strategist had previously been seen conspicuously prowling the corridors of the Commons press gallery, clutching a glass of red wine."

They're losing it

He's like a drunk homeless man who just wandered in off the street.

EDkgeuQXYAA_Ryb.jpg
    None of the above inspire confidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The only thing I can see happening is the slow collapse of the UK.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    The Tories are back in the game in regards to the next G.E. They have a single issue ticket to bring to all those Brexit voters. Boris " I want a good deal but will settle for no deal if the E.U. try to dictate to old Blighty" Vs. the opposition.

A few months ago the Tories were dead in the polls. They are rolling the dice,and I can't see Farrage standing in their way when the alternative is Corbyn and the Lib Dems.

It's the U.k.s version "make america great again". No in depth detail needed for the brexit believers . Boris is now there only man.

It's still not a guaranteed strategy though, the opposition and expecially those in Labour and the Lib Dem's will look to try and maximise the anti brexit vote as much as possible, they'll likely need to adopt a strategy similar to the by election in Wales by not running candidates that split the vote, their only chance at winning is to make sure both Lib Dem's and Labour outnumber the pseudo UKIP group at this point. Scotland is all but nearly guaranteed to be SNP country thanks to all this. Ultimately comes down to the numbers on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Water John wrote: »
    Someone here doesn't understand what being a 'conservative' means.

To be fair, I'm not even sure what it means anymore. I used to think that I leaned conservative because I was in favour of things like open trade, low taxes and balancing the books and against things like paying more for goods due to excessive taxes and heaps of red tape just to sell in another country.

It turns out that I was just some beta-cuck libtard commie this whole time. It's a tough world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

So the Tory (Cummings) plan is:

- have a GE before October 31st (most likely after parliament has forced through legislation stopping no deal)
    -have a purge of current MPs and only run ultra hardline Brexiters in the election
    - Enter a pact with the Brexit Party- Nigel Farage promises not to run alongside the Tories.
    -Get a majority in the HoC and leave without a deal ASAP.

Sad thing is, I think this has a medium to strong chance of succeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

It's funny

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Why is it 43?

It was +1 before proceedings started and 22 conservatives went over to the opposition, this deducts 22 votes from the government and adds 22 votes to the opposition givong the opposition a majority of 43.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The magic grandpa could have revitalised himself this evening, esp if they vote to extend the deadline until January 31st. In the last election, he managed to galvanise the labour crowd by not focusing on brexit, and he might just try that again. There are other issues to talk about in an election and Johnson won't be able to keep his schpiel going.
    I don't think labour will win, but the public will likely see Corbyn debate the life out of Johnson. I think Ian Dunt said it perfectly earlier, Johnson is good for the after dinner circuit but is ****e under pressure in proper political debates.

I'd prefer if it went to referendum, but the Tories will likely lose all their seats in Scotland. The lib dems will pick up a few, esp in and around London. Just remains to be seen if some constituencies would be prepared to vote for the personality before party now. It happened years ago when Martin Bell stood as an independent, but as the rebels are becoming much better known, they could stand as independents and definitely take votes from the party candidate, and *maybe* sneak a win.

in other words, i haven't a notion.

To be fair, I'm not even sure what it means anymore. I used to think that I leaned conservative because I was in favour of things like open trade, low taxes and balancing the books and against things like paying more for goods due to excessive taxes and heaps of red tape just to sell in another country.

It turns out that I was just some beta-cuck libtard commie this whole time. It's a tough world.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Are you really that into the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It was +1 before proceedings started and 22 conservatives went over to the opposition, this deducts 22 votes from the government and adds 22 votes to the opposition givong the opposition a majority of 43.

Got ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

It's happening.

What is happening? Boris's Brexit plan?.

He was defeated by his own PMs. It's not happening.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Why is it 43?

21 lost because Boris kicked them out for having principles and not following the party line. Another lost as a defection to the Lib Dem's thanks to Moggles little stunt yesterday on LBC. Removing those MP's from the Goverment side and adding them to the oppsition means Boris is now 43 MP's short of a Majority. Also Means the Dumbass Unionist Party are dead weight as they are no longer in a position to Swing votes. Karma is a bitch as they say.

Shelga wrote: »
    So the Tory (Cummings) plan is:

- have a GE before October 31st (most likely after parliament has forced through legislation stopping no deal)
    -have a purge of current MPs and only run ultra hardline Brexiters in the election
    - Enter a pact with the Brexit Party- Nigel Farage promises not to run alongside the Tories.
    -Get a majority in the HoC and leave without a deal ASAP.

Sad thing is, I think this has a medium to strong chance of succeeding.

It does, though if that becomes clear there could be a greater rebellion in conservative ranks over whatever deal Farage demands for standing down the Brexit party challenge. Not to mention that if it does work, Scotland will almost certainly vote for independance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was hearing a rumour that SF are agreeing an arrangement with alliance to target certain DUP seats if there's an election

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Now I don't want this to sound elitist or anything, but realistically few will have seen JRB live (watching it live is important) on the Commons benches snoozing away while his country's future is being debated.

Seems to me that it is a two fingured gesture from JRM to everyone else speaking and debating in the Commons. Beneath him to get involved.

But the reality is, and I am sorry to say it, the vast majority in UK (apart from activists) do not care, do not engage, and just want it all to be over.

Must be the FPTP system or something. I find people here with PR much more engaged in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's funny

And jokes are to be expected in a clown show.

maebee wrote: »
    What is happening? Boris's Brexit plan?.

He was defeated by his own PMs. It's not happening.

The cats on the street knew this would happen today. Don't you follow this?

They even mentioned the calling of an election last week when this happened and it happened. Corbyn bodyswerve the election and kicks the date to January. The people vs Parliament is set and boris and cummings have set their stage.

This has been well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The only thing I can see happening is the slow collapse of the UK.

Slow? Rapid, you mean. It's already in meltdown. Scotland to be independent within 2 years.

Infini wrote: »
    Also Means the Dumbass Unionist Party are dead weight as they are no longer in a position to Swing votes. Karma is a bitch as they say.

Good point, DUP are useless at this stage, no need to keep them around.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Slow? Rapid, you mean. It's already in meltdown. Scotland to be independent within 2 years.

There is a lot of comments by people who don't have much of an idea about the UK.

Scotland is nowhere near independence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Bambi wrote: »
    Was hearing a rumour that SF are agreeing an arrangement with alliance to target certain DUP seats if there's an election

I hope the Alliance Party think long and hard about any electoral pact with Sinn Fein. They have won over many moderate Unionists. Doing a deal with SF could jeopardize that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement