Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You really think the EU will be kicking around the UK forever? Really?

Yes I do.

You are about to find out the hard way the circumstances for countries that survive on the edge of the bloc that have absolutely no choice but to sign up to certain EU institutions with no say just to trade.

And if they don't sign up - tough. They don't get a trade deal or special treatment.

It's better to be inside the tent peeing out than outside peeing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

joe40 wrote: »
    If the brexiteers feel that it is the wish of the British people to leave the EU with or without a deal, why fear another referendum?

Are they worried that people may have changed their mind?

EU election done, general elections, and now for another.

To have a 2nd referendum without acting on this first is tinpot and will damage UK democracy.

Yes I do.

You are about to find out the hard way the circumstances for countries that survive on the edge of the bloc that have absolutely no choice but to sign up to certain EU institutions with no say just to trade.

And if they don't sign up - tough. They don't get a trade deal or special treatment.

It's better to be inside the tent peeing out than outside peeing in.

Suuure

THe EU will give Canada a free trade deal and keep the UK out in the cold, "kicking it forever".

How old are you and do you have any idea how the world works?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

EU election done, general elections, and now for another.

To have a 2nd referendum without acting on this first is tinpot and will damage UK democracy.

They have tried and failed to act on the referendum. No other way out at this stage

joe40 wrote: »
    They have tried and failed to act on the referendum. No other way out at this stage

Remain Parliament. The public now know. The GE will be clear.

• Advertisement

Suuure

THe EU will give Canada a free trade deal and keep the UK out in the cold, "kicking it forever".

How old are you and do you have any idea how the world works?

Tell us a single thing the EU has given the UK in these negotiations....just one "win".

Tell us a single thing the EU has given the UK in these negotiations....just one "win".

They have not even started yet. May and Ollie Robins don't count at all.

Did you see May even sat with the remainer alliance today in full view of the commons.

Did you see May even sat with the remainer alliance today in full view of the commons.

Do you think this is a negotiation of equals?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Well, there was that extension when the Brits couldn't get their sh!t together so that's sort of a win.

But who knows, when all those international trade negotiators come online, we'll all be quaking in our boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Is a lot of this trouble to do with some British wanting to go back to a time where they feel things were better and simpler?

My wife's grandfather spent his first couple of years as a child living on a British army barracks in India. In his lifetime Britain went from still having an empire to huge internal fighting and the UKs future now being in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No issue with the new member states such as poland, much welcome but I would like the club as loose as it was in the 1980s. That is enough.

The changes that happened from the 1980s onward were totally inevitable.

Name me one international organisation that stands still for 30-40 years and fails to change, evolve and not grow bigger? It's complete fantasy stuff from the Brexiteers that the EEC / EU could somehow have 'frozen' in 1985 and not evolved any further.

They've had three years. You'll need to forgive people's skepticism here. This was Johnson's opening day and it started with failure. And no, it wasn't some kind of 4d chess move or a "blinder" as one of the more satirical posters described it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is a lot of this trouble to do with some British wanting to go back to a time where they feel things were better and simpler?

My wife's grandfather spent his first couple of years as a child living on a British army barracks in India. In his lifetime Britain went from still having an empire to huge internal fighting and the UKs future now being in doubt.

Think there is a lot of truth in this. They are collectively experiencing a crisis of conscious. At least those remaining of the 17.4M are.

Unsurprising, a good portion of the population grew up on tales of British superiority, can understand (but not agree) why they have a problem with the EU for this reason even though it is regressive to have decided to deal with it in this way.

They've had three years. You'll need to forgive people's skepticism here. This was Johnson's opening day and it started with failure. And no, it wasn't some kind of 4d chess move or a "blinder" as one of the more satirical posters described it.

He made his move last week to instigate this and it was well predicted Stop looking for child like victories that are not there.

Think there is a lot of truth in this. They are collectively experiencing a crisis of conscious. At least those remaining of the 17.4M are.

Unsurprising, a good portion of the population grew up on tales of British superiority, can understand (but not agree) why they have a problem with the EU for this reason even though it is regressive to have decided to deal with it in this way.

It's quite the opposite. We live in the age were the most vocal are the social media savvy but they are maybe the most pathetically weak examples of people in mankind's history. They dis all things from the past with cries of "we just can't do it anymore" and demand to be looked after by the breast of mother EU.

These people are doomed to fail. Brexit was the first glimmer of light that some have the strength and will gamble the turbulence of the early days to seek the glory.

Poland, Hungary and maybe even italy to follow. Mummy isn't gonna save you from the big bad world, you need to go out there, be bold and make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

He made his move last week to instigate this and it was well predicted Stop looking for child like victories that are not there.

So he can plan a week in advance, astounding stuff, really. At best he is engaged in a high risk strategy that puts the integrity of the UK at risk if successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Remain Parliament. The public now know. The GE will be clear.

depends if those leave areas return leave MPs

the bye election in Brecon didn't. don't see how you can be so sure. a well formed and targeted alliance can take seats where no one is paying attention, and those labour seats like Canterbury could be saved with good planning.

depends if those leave areas return leave MPs

the bye election in Brecon didn't. don't see how you can be so sure. a well formed and targeted alliance can take seats where no one is paying attention, and those labour seats like Canterbury could be saved with good planning.

Byelection worked perfect. It showed the tories that the brexit party hurts them but with a pact they walk it.

It's quite the opposite. We live in the age were the most vocal are the social media savvy but they are maybe the most pathetically weak examples of people in mankind's history. They dis all things from the past with cries of "we just can't do it anymore" and demand to be looked after by the breast of mother EU.

These people are doomed to fail. Brexit was the first glimmer of light that some have the strength and will gamble the turbulence of the early days to seek the glory.

Poland, Hungary and maybe even italy to follow. Mummy isn't gonna save you from the big bad world, you need to go out there, be bold and make it.

God, you sound so much like an ignorent student. Italy is next? Any day now, never mnd that it is three years on and still nothing. This exact sentiment could have been expressed in 2016 and back thern might even have been forgivable, but now? After three years of the UK being humilated because of Brexit, its patethic delusion.

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for victories. The no-deal brexit looks quite probable and today's drama is nothing really new to members of this forum.

Johnson's plan, as I'm sure you know is that an election is called. That hasn't happened yet. I don't understand Corbyn but it would appear to be his move now; this vote doesn't trigger a GE - that still needs labour unless I'm mistaken.

Corbyn could be dumb enough to go for it but Johnson has been weakened massively today. Everyone knows what he's up to because everyone's leaking and they're leaking because this is even more of a clown show that when May was in charge.

A government losing its majority and losing a major vote is a failure in the eyes of most and not some high-dimensional chess.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    God, you sound so much like an ignorent student. Italy is next? Any day now, never mnd that it is three years on and still nothing. This exact sentiment could have been expressed in 2016 and back thern might even have been forgivable, but now? After three years of the UK being humilated because of Brexit, its patethic delusion.
    Humilated? and you just think the UK will throw in the towel, remain or sign up to a deal where it has no say and takes orders from Brussels forever.

You need to stop and think for a second, seriously?

How you you see this ending with the anger in the country and the resentment towards the EU?

Don't buy the noise of the remainiacs as they may be #FBPE on Twitter but in reality these real life whimps will cow down once they get smashed in the polls.

Expect lots of tears on news segments on the BBC.

At least I am a realist.

I'm not looking for victories. The no-deal brexit looks quite probable and today's drama is nothing really new to members of this forum.

Johnson's plan, as I'm sure you know is that an election is called. That hasn't happened yet. I don't understand Corbyn but it would appear to be his move now; this vote doesn't trigger a GE - that still needs labour unless I'm mistaken.

Corbyn could be dumb enough to go for it but Johnson has been weakened massively today. Everyone knows what he's up to because everyone's leaking and they're leaking because this is even more of a clown show that when May was in charge.

A government losing its majority and losing a major vote is a failure in the eyes of most and not some high-dimensional chess.

The bill is to extend for 3 months. That is all they got. The need to face an election some time and you know how it ends then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well it's an expression of a chance of something. 10/1 is ten to one odds. One chance in ten of it happening. 11/5 is five chances in eleven or close enough to 1 chance in 2.

Paddy Power and BoyleSports can sleep easy :)

Humilated?

Yes.
    and you just think the UK will throw in the towel, remain or sign up to a deal where it has no say and takes orders from Brussels forever.

The UK is in a terribly weak position, it needs a deal and no amount of Brexiter hot air will change that one jot. Given the chaos in the UK right now, no-deal Brexit may well happen, but that will go very badly for the UK and the longer the UK holds out the weaker its position becomes.

Yes, seriously.
    How you you see this ending with the anger in the country and the resentment towards the EU?

Are you foolish enough to think the EU will care about resentment in the UK? The reality is that the UK needs a deal from the EU and the deal on offer from the EU will only get worse as time goes on, especially after a no deal becasue the UK will be negiotiating from a position of extreme weakness.
    Don't buy the noise of the remainiacs as they may be #FBPE on Twitter but in reality these real life whimps will cow down once they get smashed in the polls.

This is just jouvinile posturing.
    At least I am a realist.

Of course you are pet.

The bill is to extend for 3 months. That is all they got. The need to face an election some time and you know how it ends then.

I'd like to say that I know how it ends, but I've been watching the last 3 years. I don't know how it will end and neither does anyone. Initially, I thought that the Brits could figure something out and be out of the EU with some kind of Norway or Switzerland deal.

Instead, it's three years later and the Brits still haven't figured out what they want nor do they seem to even know how to get whatever it is that they might want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Byelection worked perfect. It showed the tories that the brexit party hurts them but with a pact they walk it.

There won't be a pact. Cummings hates farage and won't let him have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Humilated? and you just think the UK will throw in the towel, remain or sign up to a deal where it has no say and takes orders from Brussels forever.

At least I am a realist.

The ordinary brit would have no time for the Parliamentarians who they see as now blocking the will of the people. Boris and Farage will drink a few pints of Ale together on the campaign trail, and tell the people you can choose these liberals or us. Jeremy Corbyn will propose something so outrageous that the Northern Labour working class will vote Tory and Brexit instead of Labour who are more concerned with virtue signalling and ignoring the referendum result than day to day stuff. Add in jingoism, patriotism, casual racism and the Tories will likely increase their vote. Hard Brexit here we come I think. Jacob Rees Mogg is actually very entertaining and witty and he add character. Expect another Trumpian victory here.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Yes.

The UK is in a terribly weak position, it needs a deal and no amount of Brexiter hot air will change that one jot. Given the chaos in the UK right now, no-deal Brexit may well happen, but that will go very badly for the UK and the longer the UK holds out the weaker its position becomes.

Yes, seriously.

Are you foolish enough to think the EU will care about resentment in the UK? The reality is that the UK needs a deal from the EU and the deal on offer from the EU will only get worse as time goes on, especially after a no deal becasue the UK will be negiotiating from a position of extreme weakness.

This is just jouvinile posturing.

Of course you are pet.

No nation can just go back from this position to the EU, none. Most brits would never accept that. You really think this just ends with once side humiliated.

I could see the UK public voting for someone to turn it to defcon 9 before they would suck it up and fold now. EU will bottle it.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    The ordinary brit would have no time for the Parliamentarians who they see as now blocking the will of the people. Boris and Farage will drink a few pints of Ale together on the campaign trail, and tell the people you can choose these liberals or us. Jeremy Corbyn will propose something so outrageous that the Northern Labour working class will vote Tory and Brexit instead of Labour who are more concerned with virtue signalling and ignoring the referendum result than day to day stuff. Add in jingoism, patriotism, casual racism and the Tories will likely increase their vote. Hard Brexit here we come I think. Jacob Rees Mogg is actually very entertaining and witty and he add character. Expect another Trumpian victory here.
    Finally someone who sees it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement