Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

No nation can just go back from this position to the EU, none. Most brits would never accept that. You really think this just ends with once side humiliated.

I could see the UK public voting for someone to turn it to defcon 9 before they would suck it up and fold now. EU will bottle it.

The UK has already been humilated, and it only gets worse from here. You might think that the whole UK is dyed in the wool brexiteers, but they are not. Brexit only ever had a slim majority and once Brexit starts hitting peoples pockts hard then few people will like to be reminded that they once supported Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

No nation can just go back from this position to the EU, none. Most brits would never accept that. You really think this just ends with once side humiliated.

I could see the UK public voting for someone to turn it to defcon 9 before they would suck it up and fold now. EU will bottle it.

Agreed and their solution, throw Ireland under the bus wait and see. Murmurings of no support to come from Europe already. They will accept us as the collateral damage for whatever deal they strike with boris. I expect the RoI to be excluded from the customs union. Easier to put checks in French ports coming to and from Ireland than even bothering with the NI Border which is quiet frankly like something from the Wild West and impossible to police and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    The UK has already been humilated, and it only gets worse from here. You might think that the whole UK is dyed in the wool brexiteers, but they are not. Brexit only ever had a slim majority and once Brexit starts hitting peoples pockts hard then few people will like to be reminded that they once supported Brexit.

Brexit was always gonna happen and will only gain support. The remainers are loud but are normally low testosterone types who can't survive the winter without manflu.

May and Robins have been humilated and that is what will cause the blow back. EU got ahead of itself.

Get some popcorn.

7.42am. I'll just check the Brexit thread. 70 new pages. "Oh no."

Can someone fill me in.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Brexit was always gonna happen and will only gain support. The remainers are loud but are normally low testosterone types who can't survive the winter without manflu.

May and Robins have been humilated and that is what will cause the blow back. EU got ahead of itself.

Get some popcorn.

And I'm out, surely we can have debate without such pettiness; next thing you will be telling us it is some NWO conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Can someone fill me in.?

Groundhog day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

7.42am. oh I'll just check the Brexit thread. 70 new pages. "Oh no."

Can someone fill me in.?

Johnsons majority went from +1 to -43, he has lost control of the order paper tomorrow when MPs intend to vote for a law forcing him to accept an extension. Johnson has pledged to seek a GE if they go through with it. Brexiteers have convinced themselves that this is all good.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Johnsons majority went from +1 to -43, he has lost control of the order paper tomorrow when MPs intend to vote for a law forcing him to accept an extension. Johnson has pledged to seek a GE if they go through with it. Brexiteers have convinced themselves that this is all good.

Class.

I had beers for my birthday but following that nonsense would have been probably been more fun.

theguzman wrote: »
    And I'm out, surely we can have debate without such pettiness; next thing you will be telling us it is some NWO conspiracy.

I don't buy the NWO things but i do have strong views on the hysteria of remain voters and their doomsday stories.

Go check the #FBPE army on Twitter and tell me what clear pattern you seen emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Poland, Hungary and maybe even italy to follow. Mummy isn't gonna save you from the big bad world, you need to go out there, be bold and make it.

Jesus H Monkeyballs.

you think rabid nationalism is going to put humpty dumpty back together again ?

This trajectory leads to one thing and one thing only.
    It will be the third one, it may take ten years for Food shortages and Water shortages to bring anarchy to the prime movers, but nationalism will bring us to world war three and the end of humanity as we know it.

I'm not putting this out there for an "I told you so".
    The numbers are as obvious as bulldog balls.
    Population growth, climatic extremes, poverty, civil unrest, rebellions and revolutions, Superpower proxy wars for remaining resources then endgame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The remainers are loud but are normally low testosterone types who can't survive the winter without manflu

Right. Getting the flu during the winter knocks someone out of your souped up testosterone superior group. If you say that about people with the flu I can only imagine your attitude to those with mental health problems. Churchill wouldn't even make the cut. Your tending towards extreme facism.

By the way Johnson, Rees Mogg etc are all fops. Not much testosterone on display from the Brexiteer MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't buy the NWO things but i do have strong views on the hysteria of remain voters and their doomsday stories.

Go check the #FBPE army on Twitter and tell me what clear pattern you seen emerging.
    You have this the wrong way around. It's the Brexiters who are bigging up the negative consequences of a no-deal Brexit, crypto. Apparantly no-deal Brexit will be so awful, so ghastly, that if the EU believes for a instant that the UK would actually go through with it, they will immediately cave, abandon their principles and interests and give the UK whatever its little heart desires in order to avert this awful calamity. Johnson's entire strategy rests on the argument that everyone can see that no-deal Brexit will be too horrible to contemplate, and then using this horror to extort the EU to give the UK the deal to which destiny, Britishness and the unicorns so richly entitle it.

You need to stop undermining Johnson and handing control to the EU, you traitor you. Just believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Can someone fill me in.?

Was going to post that. Why doesn't Brexit have its own forum rather than this mega thread?

At least that way we could have a dedicated thread for the brigade that keep telling us the EU are going to bottle it or throw us under the bus at the 11th hour (while forgetting that was in March 29th)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So do we think Boris Johnson will be able to call an election?

Was going to post that. Why doesn't Brexit have its own forum rather than this mega thread?

At least that way we could have a dedicated thread for the brigade that keep telling us the EU are going to bottle it or throw us under the bus at the 11th hour (while forgetting that was in March 29th)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057953333/1

My popular forum request but nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So do we think Boris Johnson will be able to call an election?
    The whole point of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act is to prevent a PM from calling an election on his own authority. There are a couple of routes to an early elecction, but they all involve votes in Parliament. Johnson is now running a minority government, and he can't call an early election except on terms that appeal to at least some opposition MPs.

Labour is indicating that they will support an early general election after the Bill to prevent a no-deal Brexit on 31 October has been enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Suuure

THe EU will give Canada a free trade deal and keep the UK out in the cold, "kicking it forever".

How old are you and do you have any idea how the world works?
    Any meaningful trade agreement with the UK needs unanimity from the EU - in addition to the backstop conditions (money, backstop, citizen rights)
    Unanimity means the UK needs to make Spain happy (Gibraltar), France happy (fishing grounds), Romania happy (FOM) etc. - that is a lot for the UK to achieve. Easier for Canada which is far away and hasn't so much history to tidy up.

fash wrote: »
    Any meaningful trade agreement with the UK needs unanimity from the EU - in addition to the backstop conditions (money, backstop, citizen rights)
    Unanimity means the UK needs to make Spain happy (Gibraltar), France happy (fishing grounds), Romania happy (FOM) etc. - that is a lot for the UK to achieve. Easier for Canada which is far away and hasn't so much history to tidy up.

UK have been clear on citizens rights, all that are in the UK at present will be allowed to say.

Free movement ending is central to the vote leave. Economically the UK needs the freedom to have an independent trade policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Baldricks, I mean Cummings cunning plan hasn't quite worked out I see. Corbyn showing smarts, ensuring that Johnson reaps what he sows.

Gibraltar is British, Spain can try and take it. They would be as useful as the Argies on that front.

Why does a nation leaving the EU NEED to keep the french fisherman happy? You are saying they can't leave the EU, they can't vote to leave, they are not allowed, its a prison. That just makes it more likely. Fishing rights are the UKs gift.

They must keep Romania happy on freedom of movement? This is one of the main reasons for the vote. Not gonna happen.

• Advertisement

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Baldricks, I mean Cummings cunning plan hasn't quite worked out I see. Corbyn showing smarts, ensuring that Johnson reaps what he sows.

Jumping between LBC, Talk Radio and reading UK news sources this morning has none agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

UK have been clear on citizens rights, all that are in the UK at present will be allowed to say.

Free movement ending is central to the vote leave. Economically the UK needs the freedom to have an independent trade policy.

Saw a Portuguese news clip earlier, had a woman on it who is Portuguese and spend the last 30 years in England, she’s been told she’s not allowed settled status, she launched a tirade into the camera about how unfair and nasty England had become. It’s not going to play out well on Portuguese outlets. Even if the eventually fix this mess, the damage done to the UKs reputation will take decades to repair.

Tories used to be known as the nasty party, they have succeeded in turning England into the nasty country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

Why does a nation leaving the EU NEED to keep the french fisherman happy? You are saying they can't leave the EU, they can't vote to leave, they are not allowed, its a prison. That just makes it more likely. Fishing rights are the UKs gift.

They must keep Romania happy on freedom of movement? This is one of the main reasons for the vote. Not gonna happen.

because trade deals generally have give and take in them

when the UK tries to strike them outside of the EU, these might end up being some of the things they have to compromise on to get a deal

thats why a lot of people think brexit = retarded....give up a strong negotiating position for a weaker one

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Saw a Portuguese news clip earlier, had a woman on it who is Portuguese and spend the last 30 years in England, she’s been told she’s not allowed settled status, she launched a tirade into the camera about how unfair and nasty England had become. It’s not going to play out well on Portuguese outlets. Even if the eventually fix this mess, the damage done to the UKs reputation will take decades to repair.

Tories used to be known as the nasty party, they have succeeded in turning England into the nasty country.

That is a red herring. That is the portugese actress with the theatre company who can't fill in a basic form and has a further year to fill in the form.

Media debucked that one so much that 8 year olds got it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Gibraltar is British, Spain can try and take it. They would be as useful as the Argies on that front.

They NEED to keep the French/Spanish/Romanian/rest of the EU countries happy if they want any sort of meaningful trade deal, because they'll be depending on those people to vote to approve said trade deal.

As always, the UK are totally within their rights to scrap everything, go it alone and operate on WTO terms with the EU.....everyone with a bit of cop on, including the very government pushing towards it are aware that this would be a very economically damaging strategy.

I've no idea how many negotiations you've been part of, but generally it's not a great strategy for the applicant in a negotiation to transparently antagonise the group they're trying to negotiate with.

There's a very large line between presenting a position of strength and a willingness to walk away (certainly a positive in negotiations) and deliberately being antagonistic, insulting and essentially laying the seeds of propaganda against the entity which you're negotiating with.

amacca wrote: »
    because trade deals generally have give and take in them

when the UK tries to strike them outside of the EU, these might end up being some of the things they have to compromise on to get a deal

thats why a lot of people think brexit = retarded....give up a strong negotiating position for a weaker one

So what is the EU giving? Someone here said earlier that the EU will kick the british people forever and the UK will have to take it with no reaction. What has the EU given?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jumping between LBC, Talk Radio and reading UK news sources this morning has none agree with you.

I've a feeling your only following sources that appeal to you. I mean no offence but you appear to inhabit a dream world of libertarian fantasy.

You would love the likes of the EU to break up so you can engage in small fry trading of pirate companies purchasing up distressed assets. All off the back of your ordinary working person. It's a get rich quick scheme for someone of your thought process. I don't base this on yesterday's interactions it's the general gist of the posts you make here and elsewhere.

You don't care a jot for the ordinary Brit or what they voted for. You don't really care for freedom of movement or immigration. It's all the means to an outcome. Money. How can I bend this to make me money.

No different to Mogg types. Transparent as hell and easy to get around. There's no depth there. Act like their playing 3D chess but basically they are motivated by greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

My thinking on what has gone on since Boris became PM is that everything that Boris/Cummings wished for has been achieved:-
    - They have smoked out the chief 'remoaners' in the Tory party and got rid of them.
    - They don't really want a deal but they have succeeded in placing the blame on the EU for not offering them a deal.
    - They have engineered a situation where a GE is inevitable, (they have been 'forced' into it). This was the main objective all along.

So far, so good as far as Boris & Co. are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That is a red herring. That is the portugese actress with the theatre company who can't fill in a basic form and has a further year to fill in the form.

Media debucked that one so much that 8 year olds got it
    Yeah there's absolutely no hostile environment. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So what is the EU giving? Someone here said earlier that the EU will kick the british people forever and the UK will have to take it with no reaction. What has the EU given?

Well scale matters and the EU doesn't really need to give a whole lot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement