Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A very drunk Dominic Cummings went up to Corbyn last night and challenged him to an election ‘come on Corbyn don’t be afraid of us’. Apparently he was locked and wandering around HOC lost too at one stage
    Jesus. Sounds like the last days in the Hitler bunker :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Only 22% of brits want a no deal, looks like depaffel will be gone soon old chap
    No wonder depaffel is so badly advised

Cut out the one-liners and use individuals' proper names please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

This from the DUP last night. After having refused endas invitation on a brexit forum. Refusing the all island forum, ranting about Coveneys presence in Stormont, calling Leo stubborn and truculent. And on and on.
    Now they want to engage. Panic is setting in as they realize the lights have changed and which way this Is headed I’d say

https://twitter.com/duponline/status/1168977812361007105?s=21

They must be unionist turning to southerners for help Ian Paisley would be spinning ULSTER SAYS HELP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

David Lammy trolling Boris Johnson is pretty sharp. He's been waitng over three years to say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

This from the DUP last night. After having refused endas invitation on a brexit forum. Refusing the all island forum, ranting about Coveneys presence in Stormont, calling Leo stubborn and truculent. And on and on.
    Now they want to engage. Panic is setting in as they realize the lights have changed and which way this Is headed I’d say

Some of the responces on that feed are utter gold and certainly no short amount of people pointing out their hypocracy on how they were approached by Enda about this and told him to fob off since they were full snout to troth at the time.

SNIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm not sure this case has any real chance of succeeding. The Queen has the prerogative power to prorogue parliament. If the court decides to overturn that, then who has the power? The court can't devolve powers without law to provide a path to where that power should be devolved to. No court can. Because courts can't write laws, only interpret them.
    Haven't looked at this in detail, but SFAIK the challenge is not to the monarch's decision to prorogue parliament, but to the legality/propriety of the advice given to her by her ministers. If Ministers can be compelled to withdraw their advice, question of proroguation will then be reconsidered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

ModSNIP. Do not question mod warnings on thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This response nails it tbh.

https://twitter.com/ConallGettigan/status/1168980963994607616?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Very drunk. The mirror went from he had a glass of wine in his hand to you saying very drunk. No wonder the remainers are so badly informed.

Do you have evidence that he was not drunk? Having a glass of wine in your hand and being very drunk are not mutually exclusive, infact one somewhat leads to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

seamus wrote: »
    From what I can tell, Corbyn's plan is to run a GE campaign on the basis of a second referendum.

He is still being a bit cryptic and giving cause for doubt. Here he is in his speech on the 2nd, talking about the next election (after No Deal has been deferred by an extension):

And in that election, Labour will give the people the chance to take back control, and have the final say in a public vote, with credible options for both sides including the option to remain.

I think he's saying 2nd referendum without saying the words "2nd referendum", and I think he means Remain vs. Labour Brexit (as neither No Deal or May's deal are credible in Labour's eyes), which would mean a period of renegotiation to get Labour's Brexit ready, say a year or so.

But, of course, if the Bollocks to Brexit party are part of a coalition, they might prefer a quicker resolution, like Remain vs. the hated WA, since that would make Remain more likely to win, and resolve the issue a shorter time into the next session to reduce the risk that something brings down the next government while Brexit is still hanging...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Infini wrote: »

Some of the responces on that feed are utter gold and certainly no short amount of people pointing out their hypocracy on how they were approached by Enda about this and told him to fob off since they were full snout to troth at the time.

Bonus points for this responce too!
    SNIP.
    I thought that was Daniel O'Donnell at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

This is paywalled but you get the message (from a unionist newspaper) -

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/the-wind-is-changing-on-scottish-independence-pd7grpwrq

Tories wiped out in Scotland (again) and majority support for independence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Gibraltar is British, Spain can try and take it. They would be as useful as the Argies on that front.

The imperial bully boy attitude is strong in this one. Why the need to hold on to The Maldives, 10,000 miles away. And a rocknot near your shores. The British establishment. It's really enjoyable watching your slow decline. A quicker one wouldn't be half as pleasureable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Imreoir2 wrote:
    Do you have evidence that he was not drunk? Having a glass of wine in your hand and being very drunk are not mutually exclusive, infact one somewhat leads to the other.

Was the wine French?

Very drunk. The mirror went from he had a glass of wine in his hand to you saying very drunk.

No, these were two independent reports. One that Cummings was wandering the halls with a glass of wine looking for a particular newspaper's office, and a different one saying he jumped out at Corbyn, drunk, daring him to an immediate election:

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1169016352893480962

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK a court appeal date has been set aside already. This will coalesce the different cases being taken into one.

BTW Johnson advised the Queen based on him, as PM having the support of Parliament. Yesterday proved he did not enjoy that support. Thus he misled the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Water John wrote: »
    TMK a court appeal date has been set aside already. This will coalesce the different cases being taken into one.

BTW Johnson advised the Queen based on him, as PM having the support of Parliament. Yesterday proved he did not enjoy that support. Thus he misled the Queen.
    To be fair, he couldn't know about that in advance since parliament was not sitting. He hadn't even issued his threat to backbenchers at that stage. I'd give him a pass on that.

Water John wrote: »

There is also proof that he did not prorogue in order to start a new session in the ordinary way and was in fact just trying to stop Parliament blocking No Deal, so he misled her there too. Rees-Mogg, the Chief Whip and the Leader in the Lords all helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, he couldn't know about that in advance since parliament was not sitting. He hadn't even issued his threat to backbenchers at that stage. I'd give him a pass on that.

Everyone knew, that is why he issued the threats to bring them back in line. Surely the onus should be in him to be sure anyway?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I think Hilary Benn would make a great leader and Prime Minister and would be Labour's only hope of appealing to the middle ground.

He'd also make a good leader of a government of national unity, which I think might be an option to be seriously considered for the UK now.

Johnson and Corbyn are too divisive and cannot command enough support to achieve anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Winston Churchill would despise Johnson, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

With regard to Cummings and whether intoxicated or not.

If it had been any other Spad it would have been out the door in 30 seconds without feet touching the floor. Much as he himself did with Sonia Khan during last week for a far lesser thing. I am awaiting this as an interesting line of attack from the remaining moderates in the party

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Very very poor performance from Boris in his first PMQ's. He really is appalling when it comes to any form of scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I love reading Verhofstadt's stuff and the Storyville documentary was class.
    However I do not think he is helping at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What’s the point of prime ministers questions if the prime minister can just ignore all the questions and ramble on about whatever pops into his head?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭quokula

Also it's a bit over the top to treat Soames and the other rebels as some kind of heroes - they were complicit in the years of undercutting of public services and migrant blaming that led to the Brexit vote, they mostly sat on their hands while May drew the extreme red lines at the beginning of the negotiations which have now become the baseline, and they're only now finally saying enough is enough at the last moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sorry. If this was posted on this forum someone would report it for trolling been giggling last few mins
    EU official says that if the UK agrees to contribute to the bloc's 2020 budget British companies will be able to apply to and receive financial No Deal support from Brussels.

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1169204876120875008

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think the fact he feels free enough to make such comment is just further indication (if it was needed) that in the EU's eyes the negotiations are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

From the Guardian live
    Johnson says Corbyn will not submit his “surrender bill” to the verdict of the people. He is frit, frightened. He says he thinks the friends of the UK are in Paris and Berlin and in Washington. Corbyn thinks they are in Moscow and Tehran and Caracas. “Corbyn is Caracas”, he says. And Corbyn is calling for a general strike. A shadow minister said Corbyn’s economic policy was “**** or bust”. But it is both, says Johnso

Toe curlingly embarrassing stuff, junior common room level of debate, if I was a Tory backbencher, I'd be sliding under the bench in front of me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement