Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Caroline Spelman bites against the Government but doesn't loose the whip. Is BJ losing his nerve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Enzokk wrote: »
    I am not talking about the EU, but Hungary. You posted that the UK should work with Hungary but the UK will not have a say in anything that happens in the EU. That is what happens when you leave, you lose all say in the project. But then to ask Hungary to undermine the EU when they are not a net contributor, how will that help Hungary?

I said if the UK stays in over signing the WA and just is the most disruptive member possible. The EU can't evolve to its super state but will also have blocks on everything that is dear to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It's very frustrating Conservative's repeatedly calling out Corbyn as always wanting an election and "now it doesn't suit him". Of course it doesn't suit him, he's absolutely right not to jump into one if it causes a No deal exit.

None of the media call them out on this obvious point.

Suella Braverman doing just this right now, calling Corbyn hypocritical. In fairness, the Sky anchor has pulled her on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Caroline Spelman bites against the Government but doesn't loose the whip. Is BJ losing his nerve?

It wasn't seen as a confidence motion by the government so she doesn't lose the whip, I believe that is the explanation given.

I said if the UK stays in over signing the WA and just is the most disruptive member possible. The EU can't evolve to its super state but will also have blocks on everything that is dear to them.

Okay, I had your argument wrong. So your argument is if the UK stays in the EU they should disrupt the business of the EU and make it poorer so it can be poorer too, and get Hungary to do it as well. Do you not realize how strange your argument is? If anything has been clear it is that leaving the EU is a bad idea, but your plan is to work from the inside to do the same so everyone else can be poorer as a result. Why do you think that is a good thing and why would you inflict that on other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that cheer leader for BJ is on Sky News again

My god she talks so much rubbish and treats BJ like the messiah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    It's very frustrating Conservative's repeatedly calling out Corbyn as always wanting an election and "now it doesn't suit him". Of course it doesn't suit him, he's absolutely right not to jump into one if it causes a No deal exit.

None of the media call them out on this obvious point.

Suella Braverman doing just this right now, calling Corbyn hypocritical. In fairness, the Sky anchor has pulled her on it.

Its all the tories have got right now, corbyn supposedly running scared of an election and the "reds under the bed". Let them at it, simply reeks of their utter desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Just a word that Andrew Neil's new political digest starts in BBC Two now.

good on you Andrew that tory has not a clue good god thats shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Andrew Neil tore that Tory politician apart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UK have been clear on citizens rights, all that are in the UK at present will be allowed to say.

It's literally got to the stage where if you make a statement I automatically assume it's a blatant lie or at best a twisting of the truth.

https://mobile.twitter.com/the3million/status/1168119901330006018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I said if the UK stays in over signing the WA ...

Wot??? :confused::confused::confused:
    if the UK ... want to leave and can't then they surely can bring the EU to its knees to the point they are begged to leave

If the UK won't leave because the UK can't agree with itself on how, when or why it wants to leave, then having a begging EU won't change that.

You do realise that everything is in place for the UK to leave: all they have to do is ... leave! The rest of us in the EU have been going about our business, enjoying the summer and generally getting on with life for the last six months. It's the bloody British that won't get their fingers out of each others ar5es and do what they said they were going to do.

• Advertisement

It's literally got to the stage where if you make a statement I automatically assume it's a blatant lie or at best a twisting of the truth.

https://mobile.twitter.com/the3million/status/1168119901330006018

Find a real source not a tweet from "the 3 million"

Also find anything from MPs saying current EU citizens in the UK will have to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Johnson's new/old proposal is an all-island agrifood zone, which in and of itself is unobjectionable, but would only meet 30% of the backstop's requirements, as Peter Foster wrote earlier today:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1169290886343200773

Wot??? :confused::confused::confused:

If the UK won't leave because the UK can't agree with itself on how, when or why it wants to leave, then having a begging EU won't change that.

You do realise that everything is in place for the UK to leave: all they have to do is ... leave! The rest of us in the EU have been going about our business, enjoying the summer and generally getting on with life for the last six months. It's the bloody British that won't get their fingers out of each others ar5es and do what they said they were going to do.

The UK can't sign up to the backstop for national security reasons. No national can sign a treaty that gives power over it to another state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Find a real source not a tweet from "the 3 million"

Also find anything from MPs saying current EU citizens in the UK will have to leave.

You are adding nothing to this thread. Any more of this nonsense and your access will be revoked. Final warning.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Enzokk wrote: »
    How is their record on the economy and the NHS and why would people vote for it to continue?

Chancellor Sajid Javid declares end of austerity

They've rediscovered the magic money tree. To be done with borrowing.

SKY did a review of the budget and it's nearly back to 2009 in real terms.

Of course its dependent on rules, so if there's a recession ....

AFAIK Manufacturing is in recession and service industry is barely growing.

And all moot if Sajid doesn't have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh wow May's withdrawal agreement is back in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The WA back in play.

SNIP. Do not question mod warnings on thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

May must be thinking FFS :)

The WA back in play.

It won't pass, its Kinnocks amendment and if remainers passed it now out of desperation then i'd say the election will see an earthquake in change for the UK and in turn the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It won't pass, its Kinnocks amendment and if remainers passed it now out of desperation then i'd say the election will see an earthquake in change for the UK and in turn the EU

Why would the UK finally ratifying a deal the EU was happy with...change the EU???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

They've just passed an amendment through by mistake apparently... something regarding May's deal - you really couldn't write this. I doubt any of them know what they are doing.

May must be seething that her deal may potentially go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The WA back in play.

Kinnock's amendment was passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

the Kinnock amendment went though by default - apparently no teller for the no side turned up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Enzokk wrote:
    It wasn't seen as a confidence motion by the government so she doesn't lose the whip, I believe that is the explanation given.

Indeed. But a bit of a cop out from Johnson/Cummings it seems to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hang on...does this mean if MPs back the bill tonight then the WA is passed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Been at work so not paying attention.

What happened with the Kinnock amendment?

See some talk on twitter that the government side were instructed to order no tellers on the no site as they reckon by allowing the amendment there the third reading is less likely to succeed.

Probably clutching at straws though.

bilston wrote: »
    Hang on...does this mean if MPs back the bill tonight then the WA is passed?

No, passing the WA is the reason for requesting an extension if tonight's bill passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Headshot wrote: »
    oh wow May's withdrawal agreement is back in the game

It wouldn't be the end of the world. I can't see how the UK gets to remain in the EU, so it would be no bad thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement