Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Deputy Speaker saying now that the only way to stop the WA coming back now is for MPs to kill the bill tonight. This is pretty incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

devnull wrote: »
    Been at work so not paying attention.

What happened with the Kinnock amendment?

See some talk on twitter that the government side were instructed to order no tellers on the no site as they reckon by allowing the amendment there the third reading is less likely to succeed.

Probably clutching at straws though.

The Kinnock amendment has passed by the looks of things:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1169317929520963584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1169317929520963584&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fuk-politics-49557734

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No way has this happened by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What happened with the count. The Gov done something sneeky with the tellers for one of the counts.
    I missed the start of the C4 discussion on it.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Strazdas wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the end of the world. I can't see how the UK gets to remain in the EU, so it would be no bad thing.

It'd be absolutely fine. Keeps the backstop, which is no bad thing for us. It would also put an end to this catastrophic shambles which is no bad thing for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

ath262 wrote: »
    then Kinnock amendment went though by default - apparently no teller for the no side turned up

Lots of conspiracies already about this: it means that reason for extension now is.to have another vote on May's agreement, so not specifically to prevent a no deal.

Govt apparently 'forgot' to put a teller in place, so it passed by default, despite Tories and Labour being against it. It limits the scope of the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bilston wrote: »
    No way has this happened by accident

I think by not sending tellers the government is saying they don't oppose it. Not a mistake. Hard to know what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Bill has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

327 v 299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

So the Bill has now passed, what does this mean with regards May's WA? And likely timelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Johnson saying vote has ended the "negotiations".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Stop the negotiations ? They haven't been any Boris FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What the hell is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

today's new catch phrase from Boris seems to be "dither & delay"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the government has to publish the withdrawal bill. I don't know what that means yet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

*gets* popcorn

Boris wants an election

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

he's trying to goad Corbyn ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Remainers caught with their pants down?

I'm shocked at how brazen he is. He's saying that negotiations have been scuppered by the House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Framing it as a Johnson v Corbyn election.

The dereliction of duty line won't go down well though.

Blocking brexit ? Yet Boris Johnson voted against the withdrawal agreement which if they had voted for it they may be out now. Corbyn giving some credit to Theresa May.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So election time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I have no idea what is going on, but is it possible that Johnson is planning to bring the WA back, maybe with the NI only backstop with the caveat that he ain't asking for an extension?

That certainly was no mistake on the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭briany

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Precisely. He was negotiating by not going to Brussels. Now that negotiations have ended, he will go to Brussels. He's the backwards man, the backwards man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

Yeah, but it gives him an out, and somewhere to point the finger of blame at.

He's playing to his supporters, not the public

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Could the Kinnock/teller thing simply be indicative of a Tory party in disarray or is there some elaborate trap set by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Blocking brexit ? Yet Boris Johnson voted against the withdrawal agreement which if they had voted for it they may be out now. Corbyn giving some credit to Theresa May.

Johnson also voted for it on MV3

Patser wrote: »
    Could the Kinnock/teller thing simply be indicative of a Tory party in disarray or is there some elaborate trap set by it.

What kinnock thing ?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Johnson also voted for it on MV3

Yeah at the third time of asking and you'd wonder did he really agree with the WA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement