Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

What did he say...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What did the last SNP MP say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RobertKK wrote: »
    I love Ken Clarke, he is one of the politicians who is fit to be PM.
    All this Brexit has done is allow the people with extreme views take over that party.
    It is shocking the state of the current British government.

If May had listened to Clarke 2 years ago, the UK would now be happily out of the EU and probably with a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Nigel Evans seems an angry man..

Disingenuous party argument all the same. He knows full well they aren't running scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

vote on this election debate due about 9:20, poss. a little earlier, according to Vicki Young

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1169325265446756352

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Johnson should resign

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse. I AM William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen here in defiance of tyranny. You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What would you do without freedom? Will you fight?

Rough translation:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Very important that all those opposed to a general election vote against it and not abstain.

Anyone who abstains is voting for it essentially.

If they vote along previous lines of tonight, then it should get rejected.

RickBlaine wrote: »
    "I do think the Prime Minister has a tremendous skill in keeping a straight face whilst he's being so disingenuous". Brilliant line by Ken Clarke.

None of the bowlers on either England or Australia playing in the Ashes would bowl a line like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

devnull wrote: »
    Very important that all those opposed to a general election vote against it and not abstain.

I believe he has to get 2/3rds of the seats affirmative. That means that abstentians are effective against the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'd laugh if the only option Boris had left to get his election was to resign as PM and Corbyn then goes to Queen to see if he has confidence of house and it ends up that Labour are able to get a temporary government together. Sounds nuts but anything goes at the moment it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

None of the bowlers on either England or Australia playing in the Ashes would bowl a line like that.

Well, an Aussie might

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Calina wrote: »
    I believe he has to get 2/3rds of the seats affirmative. That means that abstentians are effective against the election.

Not necessarily. He can table a motion calling for one notwithstanding the Fixed Term Parliament Act though he would still require a majority.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

devnull wrote: »

Johnson requires 434 MPs to back him - so abstention essentially counts as a No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

What would happen if BoJo did resign?
    Would the Tories get to elect someone else and stay in government now that they don't have a majority?

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Would the Tories get to elect someone else and stay in government now that they don't have a majority?

I think a 14-day period, where either party could form a government, would kick in.

BluePlanet wrote: »

They should elect Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

This is a farce.

And people think our government are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Very childish comments from IDS. Disappointed Bercow hasn't pulled him up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If May had listened to Clarke 2 years ago, the UK would now be happily out of the EU and probably with a good deal.
    And the treasury would be up about £800m a week.

lola85 wrote: »
    This is a farce.

And people think our government are bad.

Even Five Star and the Democratic Party have formed an Italian government in the meantime.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Johnson requires 434 MPs to back him - so abstention essentially counts as a No vote.

From what I understand he's tabled a motion that requires a simple majority.

This lady bit crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

sjb25 wrote: »
    This lady bit crazy

She's one of the most honourable ones left in there.

sjb25 wrote: »
    This lady bit crazy

I wouldn't say crazy.

edit: She probably isn't as polished as the others but she seems honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jess Philips is cracking up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jess Philips is cracking up

I thought she was about to burst into tears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I think a 14-day period, where either party could form a government, would kick in.
    He could use that cynically to run the clock out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I reckon the WA could be passed.

Penny for Theresa May's thoughts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement