Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jess Philips is cracking up
    She is really excellent, extremely passionate

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jess Philips is cracking up

She's not cracking up, but she's probably articulating how a lot of people in Europe and in the UK feel about the whole sorry mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

gmisk wrote: »
    She is really excellent, extremely passionate

Yes, I mean it in the emotional way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

devnull wrote: »
    From what I understand he's tabled a motion that requires a simple majority.

He has. Previous parliaments can't bind future ones and acts can repeal previous acts without explicitly doing so. The fixed term parliament act isn't worth the vellum it's written on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really love Jess Philips, rarely see her passion in the HOC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jess Phillips is some clueless gawm. Product of Labours gender quotas no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sjb25 wrote: »
    This lady bit crazy

Far from it.

She is one of the most honest MP's you can ever see

I have so much time for her

Bambi wrote: »

Are there gender quotas in the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Bambi wrote: »

Take away your bias and try to actually listen to what she is saying.

Johnson is doing all this not because of some higher calling, or because he has some big feeling for the citizens. He is doing all this because that was the best road to power, and not holding on to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Itssoeasy wrote: »

For Labour shortlists I think?

Either way, she's bloody amazing. And she is perfectly right with her fundamental point - there is no way you can trust the current government (or indeed the last one). They lie with shocking frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

All-female constituency selection lists, which was a Blair initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

VinLieger wrote: »
    Really love Jess Philips, rarely see her passion in the HOC

Always good on any panel shows I've seen her on. Genuinely funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

BBC News confirm two-thirds majority required, so the Opposition can go AWOL.

Always good on any panel shows I've seen her on. Genuinely funny

Its funny, she talks like 'normal' people, she tells it like it is and she clearly understands the issues that everyday people face.

But the people to claim to stand for all that seem to hate her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Its funny, she talks like 'normal' people, she tells it like it is and she clearly understands the issues that everyday people face.

But the people to claim to stand for all that seem to hate her.

That is the crux of why this is so so fascinating.

The Brexiteers talk so much about undemocratic EU and yet are ok with Cummings dictating national policy and parliament being prorogued. They talk about honour and respect and then JRM behaves as he did on the front bench yesterday during the debate.

It's incredibly interesting.

Does John Bercow sound utterly feed up calling the name of Caroline Lucas ? It certainly wasn't with the normal energy.

It is really funny that the Tories are telling everyone that the one thing that the country needs, that people really want is an end to the government. I mean they are basically saying that they are incapable of running the country, on the basis that hopefully the people really want them in power to run the country!

On a separate issue, why do MP's allow other MP's to continue this line that Johnson needs to be able to threaten No Deal on the EU as this will force them to give in to avoid the chaos it will bring yet at the same time continually claim that No Deal will have little negative impact on the UK. It makes no sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In a nutshell

If sneaky tricks continue to be used then a GE won't deliver a new government until it's too late to stop a Hard Brexit.

Does John Bercow sound utterly feed up calling the name of Caroline Lucas ? It certainly wasn't with the normal energy.

I thought he had been subbed out. Certainly didn't call on her with the same vigour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He's been no more than rudimentary for the last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They said a lot of this stuff last night.

And golly gosh, Corbyn has torn Boris assunder. Decimated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's funny about this is that if the Tories had not decided to prorogue parliament none of this would be happening now!

Surely that's a capital offence for Cummings who should get the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BBC News confirm two-thirds majority required, so the Opposition can go AWOL.

Is there a trap here though.
    If it 'wins' but without 2/3rds majority I wonder do they have a plan to take that to Buckingham Palace with something archaic that overrides the FTPA.

Sorry, but Ken Clarke has been beaten in the zinger stakes by Jess.
    "I'm meant to believe that the PM is really doing this because he has a vision for the people in the this country? HE has a vision that comes to him every night and it is his own face"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That is the crux of why this is so so fascinating.

The Brexiteers talk so much about undemocratic EU and yet are ok with Cummings dictating national policy and parliament being prorogued. They talk about honour and respect and then JRM behaves as he did on the front bench yesterday during the debate.

It's incredibly interesting.

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

On one hand there is the thing about loudspeakers being low on the benches. But he could have squatted.

But lording it over a 93 year old to prorogue parliament. Has also defied the whip frequently. Scumbag in a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Sorry, but Ken Clarke has been beaten in the zinger stakes by Jess.

Zing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Thinking back to my history lessons... If the house of Lords blocks it what happens?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Once parliament is prorogued, all bills die. If the old guard Tories can talk it out, it dies.

• Advertisement

Although the SNP MP (didn't catch his name) also had a great line.
    "If Ruth Davidson cannot stomach the PM, why should Scotland"

That made me laugh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement