Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He believes it will trap us into the customs union and there is no way to terminate it from our end. he also believes it will hamper other trade deals we may be able to make.

Hold on. I thought he was negotiation alternative arrangements? Surely if he already has these then the backstop will never come into effect?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Strazdas wrote: »
    A border down the Irish Sea could solve the Brexiteers' problems ie. shaft the DUP / Unionists.
    This would give NI the best of both the the EU and the UK.
    Scotland will straight away be looking for independence and won't stop until they get it!

They believe that Brexit is the barrier to fixing their low skilled employment and housing needs.

Why would they think that? Surely they can see that the TOry have driven austerity the last number of years, hence we people like 47 are claimed that Sajid has signalled the end of it.

How can that be when the EU are actually in control?

It is exactly that. The backstop is all about the "level playing field" they even admitted it.

EU knows the UK will totally out compete them without it

How are they going to outcompete the EU?

By lower standards, reducing regulations, employment law, CT taxes, allowing imports free of tariffs.

All sounds great except for the people effected by it all.

They have seemingly promised to cover any impacts on NI farmers. Will cover any monies lost to regions from EU funds. Will have to hire and pay for vastly increased public servants for the likes of Customs.

Have anybody actually seen the net gain/loss of leaving the EU in monetary terms? THe only things I have seen have all been negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why would they think that? Surely they can see that the TOry have driven austerity the last number of years, hence we people like 47 are claimed that Sajid has signalled the end of it.

Blair and mass migration, that is what they see as the issue. 2 week waits for a GP etc..

EU is not getting that this is happening either way, neither do londoners. This is a mordern day revolt and it is better to engage it then call them stupid and talk unicorns.

The masses have slowly got more angry to the point that this will just get worse until it is agreed.

• Advertisement

How are they going to outcompete the EU?

By lower standards, reducing regulations, employment law, CT taxes, allowing imports free of tariffs.

All sounds great except for the people effected by it all.

Thats the EU fear...they keep saying "we don't want the UK to become the singapore of europe"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

RTE have the story as well: https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0905/1074163-brexit-eu-commission/

So hard border it is, with some fudging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

So you expect all those unfortunate like yourself that rely on, and are being mistreated by, the government run by the Tories to vote them back into power on the basis on 'getting BRexit done'?

Those relying on food banks, those on Zero Hour Contracts. We hear all the time that the public are simply sick and tired on Brexit and that they should just get on with it, but they seemingly care far more about Brexit than even themselves.

Personally, I will be spoiling my vote as I am in a safe SNP seat. I could never vote tory, labour would be my natural vote but I think they have gone too far left with Corbyn and I don't like their identity politics nonsense and the lib dems are chancers.

If you look at the leave vote in yorkshire it is strong in the industrial wastelands, so yes. I fully expect them to vote him in, just as the rust belt in America voted in a republican billionaire. Most brexiteers are all about the immigrants. Economic policy has nothing to do with it. They are fully capable of cutting off their nose to spite their face but most of all they are enjoying feeling some political power after years of disenfranchisement.

Blair and mass migration, that is what they see as the issue. 2 week waits for a GP etc..

So the UK governments fault. Could all have been different expect that Blair was voted in by the people.
    EU is not getting that this is happening either way, neither do londoners. This is a mordern day revolt and it is better to engage it then call them stupid and talk unicorns.

They have engaged, the UK have been negotiating since November
    2018 whilst the EU have accepted that it will be one of WA or No Deal.
    The masses have slowly got more angry to the point that this will just get worse until it is agreed.

But all the things you point to as the basis for the anger are UK based problems. Leaving the EU will not solve any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Whats Boris going to do now. He says he wont go back to EU and ask for an extension under any circumstances, but parliamnent are going to compel him to do that ?
    He also says he'll have a new deal agreed at the EuCo on 17th October and that he won't look for an extension. As far as I can see, those two things are incompatible. There are only nine working days between the 17th and 31st. Two of those are non-sitting days in the HoC (not sure about the EuroParl). So seven days to get through parliament and back to Brussels to get through the EuroParl. Don't think that's possible. And that's assuming the EuCo agree on the 17th. Can't see that happening either. Never mind what could happen in the parliaments.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure of the relevance of myself in your post. I clearly laid out my position and you appear to have the wrong end of the stick if you think I believe in Sajids nonsense.

I'm not sure of the relevance of myself in your post. I clearly laid out my position and you appear to have the wrong end of the stick if you think I believe in Sajids nonsense.

Apologies if I mistook you. I might have mistaken either your post or taken another uses post as yours.

Whichever, I take your word for it and please accept my apologies for the misrepresentation.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    RTE have the story as well: https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0905/1074163-brexit-eu-commission/

So hard border it is, with some fudging.

Just saw Leo looking very dejected telling a crowd the bad news on the BBC. He said there will be checks on the border.

How likely are we to see the troubles back if the border becomes an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Havent heard much out of the DUP recently. Couldnt get Sammy Wilson off the telly 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just saw Leo looking very dejected telling a crowd the bad news on the BBC. He said there will be checks on the border.

How likely are we to see the troubles back if the border becomes an issue?

This will not result in a deal with the EU for Parliament to vote on.

This parliament has killed no deal. This parliament will oust the Tories and seek an extension that it will get.

I fail to see what the point of these nonsense proposals are by a dead government walking. Their mandate to negotiate anything is with O Leary in the grave.

The EU would be best breaking off negotiations with what is clearly not an honest broker and step up no deal prep. And not reenter any talks until there is a clear tangible change in the direction the UK is taking.

It also likely axes any trade deal with the US.

It's time for some serious Irish soft power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

lawred2 wrote: »
    This will not result in a deal with the EU for Parliament to vote on.

This parliament has killed no deal. This parliament will oust the Tories and seek an extension that it will get.

I fail to see what the point of these nonsense proposals are by a dead government walking. Their mandate to negotiate anything is with O Leary in the grave.

I also fail to see the point, but for a different reason. If the backstop is a BJ red line, and also an EU red line, they are bound to failure.
    Even if by some miracle of misfortune BJ somehow managed to get the EU to remove the backstop (frankly impossible after today's rhetoric) he would be moving forward a border poll and everything that entails by several years and potentially becoming the PM that lost Northern Ireland. Given what else that would trigger, he would also be the PM that destroyed Great Britain. By definition.

The UK's undemocratic electoral system is likely to result in at best another hung Parliament. An election is imminent and absolutely inevitable but it is important that it does not happen so early as to give BJ time to repeal the law just passed if he wins that election.

sdanseo wrote: »
    The UK's undemocratic electoral system is likely to result in at best another hung Parliament. An election is imminent and absolutely inevitable but it is important that it does not happen so early as to give BJ time to repeal the law just passed if he wins that election.

This parliament does not need an election to take control... A VONC puts an end to the Tories.

A little humour goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thats the EU fear...they keep saying "we don't want the UK to become the singapore of europe"
    I havent heard anyone from the EU saying that...do you have a link?

• Advertisement

BluePlanet wrote: »
    It also likely axes any trade deal with the US.

It's time for some serious Irish soft power.
    They could argue the GFA is two sides and the backstop isolates the other. Then they are back to both sides need an alternative to save GFA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

He believes it will trap us into the customs union and there is no way to terminate it from our end. he also believes it will hamper other trade deals we may be able to make.

No, what does he have against the original NI backstop?

Jizique wrote: »
    No, what does he have against the original NI backstop?

The Paras?

Edit. Not meant as a dig or a future option but the only backstop before the one on the table was the military or am I missing something?

I expect it's going to be quite the blame game now with the border and resultant infrastructure.

I suggest to the government to consider re-locating the Mosney Accomodation Centre to the larger site that is available opposite the Carnbeg Hotel & Spa just outside Dundalk on the Armagh Rd, just 3km from the border.

News of such a move should be well received by the tabloid press in Britain and may concentrate the minds on that border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Doors anyone know how virus knew that woman recruit was feeling ill this afternoon.
    He knew very quickly that something was wrong. Kept on talking though!

gmisk wrote: »
    I havent heard anyone from the EU saying that...do you have a link?
    It's definitely been said in commentary around that area. The thing is, it's related to the backstop because obviously in that scenario, the UK could leverage its semi-membership of the EU into creating such an imbalance by damaging EU interests whilst availing of EU benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Paras?

Some people lose all credibility over time. Some in a moment.

All the Tories on newsnight are on message blaming all the other members of parliament but themselves for the current state of affairs..

Andrea Jenkyns being particularly toxic in her blame game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The Paras?

The Paras what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not appointing an EU commissioner and the EU throwing them out option as mentioned on Newsnight is interesting...is this Boris's card up his sleeve?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement