Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The DUP have (had) a large support in the agri industry. They know fine well that when it comes to keeping blue tongue, FMD, etc out of the herd it makes full sense to check the animals at point of entry to NI from GB.
    Anything else and they would lose significant support to the UUP.

Honestly I wonder if they'll even have anywhere near as much support in the next GE expecially if the Alliance targets them for their incompentence. They really need to be cleaned out theyre unfit for any government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

DOCARCH wrote: »
    To sort of answer my own suggestion, after 4 days of HoC sitting, I think BJ is now toxic and is now a lame duck! I think anything he proposes will simply be rejected!

If he had suggest NI backstop before all the sh**show of this week, there may have been a slim chance of getting it passed. On the other hand there is a large cohort in his own party who very simply want no deal/nothing/crash out.
    Johnson certainly will not do a WA before an election as the only way to be "more brexity than the others" is not to agree to reality/something acceptable. Even on the slim chance he could do something like sign a WA with an NI only backstop under the current circumstances, it would do him little good going into an election with the brexiters calling him a traitor/sell out etc.

In order to crush the alternative brexit party, he must first win an election - which is the first priority and potentially gets him 5 years.
    It is hard to say what would happen in the UK given the FPTP system and the current mood of the electorate. However I certainly wouldn't bet a huge amount on him not winning - the opposition is too divided in philosophy and in vote splitting.
    The question is then what would he do. I'm afraid I'm quite pessimistic that he would in fact sign any WA. I get the impression based on his language and their proposals (no level playing field etc.) that with a majority, Johnson would simply leave without a deal - and use the next 5 years to ride it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,325 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pergrinus, Johnson offered one other option for himself which you did not include in his list of options, to die in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭josip

Water John wrote: »
    Pergrinus, Johnson offered one other option for himself which you did not include in his list of options, to die in a ditch.

I believe this forum places a lot importance on accuracy, so I'd like to correct the above; what he actually said was he'd rather, "be dead in a ditch".
    So he could actually die elsewhere, and Cummings for example, could move his body to the ditch after he had expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,325 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well his tussle with a bull today in Scotland might indicate where he may die:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/06/brexit-boris-johnson-news-latest-eu-labour-confirms-it-will-not-vote-on-monday-night-for-early-election-live-newsbior

The PM having a tug of war with John Bull, only one winner there. Johnson lost again.
    Whatever about Johnson, the Tories are dead in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

Well his tussle with a bull today in Scotland might indicate where he may die:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/06/brexit-boris-johnson-news-latest-eu-labour-confirms-it-will-not-vote-on-monday-night-for-early-election-live-newsbior

Whatever about Johnson, the Tories are dead in Scotland.

He's finally trying to rein in his bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I dunno, I visited the world war 1 trenches near Ypres, about 20 years ago. It is not a pleasant way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Calina wrote: »
    I dunno, I visited the world war 1 trenches near Ypres, about 20 years ago. It is not a pleasant way to go.

surely they are just fields now? :confused:

have they preserved a whole section of trenches and tunnels as they were? Thought they were nearly all filled in!

lawred2 wrote: »

Too much munitions to dispose of if I remember correctly. It's a no go zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

josip wrote: »
    So he could actually die elsewhere, and Cummings for example, could move his body to the ditch after he had expired.

He was dying on his feet giving that speech.

Then questions:

BBC5: Arent people entitled to ask, if your own brother can't back you, why should anyone else?

ITV: If your own brother has lost faith in your plan, surely you will have to be the next member of the Johnson family to resign?

SKY: When you became PM, you said you would unite the country. Instead, you are splitting your party, and now even your own brother...

Absolutely brutal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lawred2 wrote: »

have they preserved a whole section of trenches and tunnels as they were? Thought they were nearly all filled in!
    Yeah It's classified as a museum.

Hill-62-Museum-Tranches-Ypres-Belgium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

He was dying on his feet giving that speech.

Then questions:

BBC5: Arent people entitled to ask, if your own brother can't back you, why should anyone else?

ITV: If your own brother has lost faith in your plan, surely you will have to be the next member of the Johnson family to resign?

SKY: When you became PM, you said you would unite the country. Instead, you are splitting your party, and now even your own brother...

Absolutely brutal stuff.

And today his sister is wading in with her tuppence worth. Oh to be a fly on the wall at their next family gathering - if there ever is one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7434617/Rachel-Johnson-says-Boris-member-family-thinks-Brexit-good-idea.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: Lets keep the discussion on topic and mature

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

after their meeting the opposition parties have said they will all vote against or abstain on Monday's Vote on an election

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1169923732627959809

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weatherspoons dropping their prices to show the benefits of leaving the customs union - but the UK is still in the customs union :confused:

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1169887796439343104

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Weatherspoons dropping their prices to show the benefits of leaving the customs union - but the UK is still in the customs union :confused:

:D so he has just been overcharging this whole time....lol...the comments below are ripping them apart
    Your man who owns them is a big supporter of brexit right?
    UKIP are pretty irrelevant again thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yeah the mind does boggle

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The guy behind Wetherspoons has been backing Brexit the whole way along. From his point of view, foreign beer is his competition. If the UK leaves the EU, the price of EU-brewed beer will increase and Wetherspoons can corner the pub market.

It's nothing to do with things getting cheaper because of Brexit, it's to do with everything not made in Britain becoming more expensive.

But the kind of person this marketing stunt is aimed at, won't understand any of that. Wetherspoons' plan is to monopolise the beer market and increase prices. Free market 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

gmisk wrote: »
    :D
    Your man who owns them is a big supporter of brexit right?
    UKIP are pretty irrelevant again thankfully

Yes, he is.

Presumably he will put his prices up again in November and blame not leaving the CU despite nothing having changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Check out the Conservatives official Twitter. It's like the Sun/ Daily Mail/ etc. mixed up with UKIP and Brexit party feed and spewed out.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1169934208778874885

Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

NEW Opposition parties spoke this morning. Liz Saville Roberts from Plaid on @SkyNews shortly. She says

- All rebel alliance to vote against or abstain on election in Mon
    - No rebel party will put down no confidence motion on Monday under FTPA
    - Pre Oct 31 now unlikely
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1169923732627959809

Sam does get some good stuff in

He does make me chuckle

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1169861105352495105
    There's a long list of people who have been firm on No-Deal Brexit without doing the sums.

I don't think the Irish Taoiseach is on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Check out the Conservatives official Twitter. It's like the Sun/ Daily Mail/ etc. mixed up with UKIP and Brexit party feed and spewed out.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1169934208778874885

Pathetic

Think I'd be getting the KFC lawyers out to do something about a political party trying to associate your brand with one party or not.

Admittedly, the KFC twitter had posted a picture of JRM having a snooze, but that was not any kind of political statement by KFC. Was just a suggestion that their bargain buckets were a challenge to eat on your own and making use of the picture doing the rounds of twitter on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Even Peter Foster, the the latest Choppers Brexit Podcast, asked the question as the why the UK seem to think they can bully Ireland and the EU due to the chaos and massive GDP hit of a No Deal yet at the same time HMG is claiming that any impact on the UK is easily covered by simply being prepared.

It makes no sense. Either No Deal is a problem or it isn't. How can No Deal have a negative effect on Ireland and little impact on the UK? And by Ireland suffering, are they not acknowledging that at the very least NI will suffer? So what are the plans from the government to limit these losses.

A DUP MP yesterday tweeted that he had been assured by Gove that HMG would cover any losses, so in effect the subvention to the NI will have to massively increase. Will people in the UK be ok with spending large amounts of the promised savings from the EU going directly to cover NI?

I would note as we crawl closer and closer to no-deal that direct rule looms larger and larger - see this from the committee chair

https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1167033237887209473
    If we’re in no Deal territory & if Stormont isn’t restored by 31/10, Northern Ireland’s Civil Servants won’t be able to take any initiative to deal with/off-set a no deal issues. I am yet to be persuaded that proroguing Parliament is of any assistance to NI & public service

This is one of the more serious arguments for getting Stormont back up and running as the Civil Servants legally cannot change their guidelines since the last they had were when it existed. Without Stormont to revise their approach, the only answer is direct rule ....

tell me I am wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

ath262 wrote: »
    after their meeting the opposition parties have said they will all vote against or abstain on Monday's Vote on an election
    Yep - they now want an election in November, and no amount of childish name-calling and meming is going to change their mind.

And it's the right thing for them to do.

For one, Johnson is so untrustworthy that they can't guarantee when precisely he would call the election. Having it in November means he has to ask the EU for an extension. Which also means that the Brexit Party takes massive chunks out of the Tories if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep - they now want an election in November, and no amount of childish name-calling and meming is going to change their mind.

And it's the right thing for them to do.

For one, Johnson is so untrustworthy that they can't guarantee when precisely he would call the election. Having it in November means he has to ask the EU for an extension. Which also means that the Brexit Party takes massive chunks out of the Tories if that's the case.

Boris & co have now trapped themselves due to their proroging shenanigans - dont think their master plan allowed for the degree of unity the rebel Alliance has shown

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

the voice in boris's ears has finally tweeted as usual very funny

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSpicer/status/1169892233169883136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

ath262 wrote: »
    Boris & co have now trapped themselves due to their proroging shenanigans - dont think their master plan allowed for the degree of unity the rebel Alliance has shown

How to lose friends and alienate EVERYONE: Political Edition.

Seriously if theres one good thing out of all this its that its basically given everyone the motive and need to take real action. That Opinion poll showing the Brexit party devouring the Tory vote will be food for thought for all of them as it gives them better odds of disloging the Tories altogether. They've also wisened up and are actively outmaneuvering Boris as hes such a clown everyone can see what hes up to.

That pic of Moggles is going to be electorial gold come election time it reeks of the attitude they have. All it will take is a smart election campaign to bury them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement