Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I heard the quote, and I remember the original quote from Paisley. I just can't imagine how it caused outrage, twitter-based or otherwise.

Various people took it as a reference to calling Irish people cattle and were triggered. Quite a lot of Irish Americans in particular took it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

is_that_so wrote: »
    This will be in place and any talks and support required addressed long before the UK do.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0906/1074298-eu-border-checks/

It's pretty clear that they are doing what folks predicted in this group - nothing at all on day one, then draw up a plan, then think about how to implement the plan, then apply to the EU for help with the plan...

What's that you say? The UK are back and have agreed to the backstop before we implemented the plan? Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

The delay bill has now been passed by the Lords..

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1169987583864180737

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Hard to believe, but they are still pursuing this and have now doubled down on it with actual materials they have paid for an distributed.

https://twitter.com/jrmaidment/status/1169972280736321537

Jesus wept. It's all a big joke. KFC should sue.

That inept twitter joke thing is so 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,818 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I heard the quote, and I remember the original quote from Paisley. I just can't imagine how it caused outrage, twitter-based or otherwise.

Various people took it as a reference to calling Irish people cattle and were triggered. Quite a lot of Irish Americans in particular took it that way.
    But it's clear as day what he was actually saying. Are some people that dumb that they take everything as a slight ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That JFC thing is the single most pathetic thing I've seen in politics.
    ...and there's more...
    https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1169928730652733440

However, there's a nice retort...
    https://twitter.com/euromove/status/1169980100709949447

You'd really have to wonder about what's going on over there. That's utterly pathetic and I can guarantee you that they'll all have a good laugh about it on various political discussion programmes as if there's nothing at all weird about it.

The standards just keep slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

And I've a sneaking suspicion that chicken has been grilled not friend. Metaphor for Brexit I suppose, spend the whole time promising a nice deep friend drumstick, end up with a lukewarm breast barely coated in oil let alone flour.

Excuse me I need to go get dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd really have to wonder about what's going on over there. That's utterly pathetic and I can guarantee you that they'll all have a good laugh about it on various political discussion programmes as if there's nothing at all weird about it.

This is all the cummings faceless facebook winning the war on social media strategy . Politics is all in the cloud now. (according to him)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Of course not in the real world sense, but politically they most definitely would be. They've some ridiculous notion that the Tories actually have some kind of fondness for them or loyalty towards them as a partner.
    Indeed. They just don't seem to understand that the British government gave up on NI over 25 years ago around 1992 when. The then SOS for NI, Peter Brooke said that the UK had "no selfish, strategic or self interest in NI" or something to that effect.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    This is all the cummings faceless facebook winning the war on social media strategy . Politics is all in the cloud now. (according to him)

It might well be, but the rest of the political system in the UK needs to hold onto whatever shreds of dignity they have left. All this is doing is driving "oh they're all the same", disillusionment and the general debasing of politics.

If you treat it like a big joke, that's precisely what it will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They're addressing a certain demographic that values unrealistic promises and trolling above facts and reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Oh, I hope the Tories think they are very, very funny and keep this up.

Ordinary voters are exasperated at them already for burning 3 years on Brexit, neglecting education, welfare and services for their decade-long austerity campaign, and now they think an election is a joke?

Plays right into the hands of Labour who will launch a campaign which is not a joke and not all about Brexit.

They're addressing a certain demographic that values unrealistic promises and trolling above facts and reality.

I know that but the fact that the political commentators and, more importantly, the sane element of the political parties on all sides, seem to just not be attempting to pull standards back up again.

It's just shocking to see that they seem to place no value on their political system or its centuries of tradition. A stupid pun is all it takes and a bit of coverage in the tabloids. It's a somewhat pathetic sight to see the UK plumbing these depths. They're letting stupid win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know that but the fact that the political commentators and, more importantly, the sane element of the political parties on all sides, seem to just not be attempting to pull standards back up again.

It's just shocking to see that they seem to place no value on their political system or its centuries of tradition. A stupid pun is all it takes and a bit of coverage in the tabloids. It's a somewhat pathetic sight to see the UK plumbing these depths. They're letting stupid win.

where are you getting that from?

Surely that's exactly what they are doing. I don't see this behaviour from anyone but Cummings and his band of supine Tories! How would you like people who are clearly not engaging in this type of politics to "pull standards back up again"?

Surely countering this puerile crap with facts, detail, pragmatism and policy (which is what they are doing) is exactly what they should be doing!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and there's more...
    https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1169928730652733440

However, there's a nice retort...
    https://twitter.com/euromove/status/1169980100709949447
    The KFC twitter handler has basically just told them to F off. Really hope they get a trademark infringement letter from KFC next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That JFC thing is absolutely pathetic. I hope KFC sues them for breach of copyright.

Ken Clarke for Prime Minister.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I wonder what chances May's WA deal would have of passing the HoC now? Or any deal for that matter. Its difficult to get a deal that pleases a majority in the HoC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Ken Clarke for Prime Minister.

Just in relation to this. There is talk that they could have a VONC and the opposition to form a temporary government.

Does the leader of the largest party in the coalition automatically become acting PM?

Or could they nominate that the Father of the House be acting PM?

lawred2 wrote: »
    where are you getting that from?

Surely that's exactly what they are doing. I don't see this behaviour from anyone but Cummings and his band of supine Tories! How would you like people who are clearly not engaging in this type of politics to "pull standards back up again"?

Surely countering this puerile crap with facts, detail, pragmatism and policy (which is what they are doing) is exactly what they should be doing!?

By roundly and very publicly condemning it and calling for sanity. If you don't want to have politics go down the toilet, you have to stop feeding the the trolls. The voices against this are there but they're not nearly loud enough or numerous enough. You've vicious and pathetic negative campaigning being made acceptable and the tabloids tolls keep getting thrown crumbs and it's not just the far right of the Tories that does that.

The current lot are off the scale but it's nothing particular new. it's just more extreme than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

Just in relation to this. There is talk that they could have a VONC and the opposition to form a temporary government.

Does the leader of the largest party in the coalition automatically become acting PM?

Might be easier for Labour to accept now that he's no longer a conservative MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

By roundly and very publicly condemning it and calling for sanity. If you don't want to have politics go down the toilet, you have to stop feeding the the trolls. The voices against this are there but they're not nearly loud enough or numerous enough. You've vicious and pathetic negative campaigning being made acceptable and the tabloids tolls keep getting thrown crumbs and it's not just the far right of the Tories that does that.

The current lot are off the scale but it's nothing particular new. it's just more extreme than usual.

I don't think engaging in public slanging matches has ever worked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It has never happened, so who knows. However, if they have a vote of confidence in KC as PM, then he heads up to Buck House, and has a word, and comes back with the big seal.

Of course, he may have a fight getting into No 10 passed Dom Cummins, but I am sure that policeman with a gun will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Unsure as to what could happen there but as someone else said, Clarke could be a lot more acceptable to Labour MP's as a temporary PM now that he's an independent (which the Tories should be ashamed of, considering his service to the party since 1970).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Unsure as to what could happen there but as someone else said, Clarke could be a lot more acceptable to Labour MP's as a temporary PM now that he's an independent (which the Tories should be ashamed of, considering his service to the party since 1970).

Tories are never ashamed of anything

Its their upbringing don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I really don't think they did.

The quote is so well known that it's always used to beat the DUP with.

I have never until now, heard of a single person discussing it as being offended by it.

Paisley has said millions of things way worse than it. This is uterly bizzare. I think we should draw a line under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

It might well be, but the rest of the political system in the UK needs to hold onto whatever shreds of dignity they have left. All this is doing is driving "oh they're all the same", disillusionment and the general debasing of politics.

When your party is significantly worse than the others, then that's exactly the kind of opinion you want out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

they are handing out chicken breasts in the lobby

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1169974431550255106

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Did Boris and his advisors just make a massive miscalculation with this strategy ?

Thought the opposition parties would never be able to get together to come up with a coherant strategy to oppose him
    Thought Labour would jump at the chance of an election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

trellheim wrote: »
    they are handing out chicken breasts in the lobby

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1169974431550255106

they are a laughing stock I have no idea how the UK electorate is not hauling them over hot coals at this stage. SMH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement