Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

If tonight's polls are right, and Johnson remains on course for an overall majority, will we have to ramp up no deal preparations, or could he revert to an Irish Sea solution, having cast off the DUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I agree. Too little too late for Rudd to reclaim any honour as far as i'm concerned. Plus, why didn't she speak out last week when it was all going down and her colleagues could have done with her support?

I wouldn't be as harsh on her. She was never in the Grieve-Clarke camp and may have been struggling a lot more with the idea of rebelling or quitting the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

fr336 wrote: »
    Everyone should keep an eye on Michael Gove. Unlike Boris, a true leaver. Someone who wants to leave but not no deal. Will he make a move for the leadership? Sounds mad but if Boris has another week like this anything is possible.

Watching him at a select committee during the week, he certainly sounded more like a PM than Boris has managed.

Would his coke exploits be enough to derail him I wonder? Not sure how well liked he is, he's not the true blue-blood type they normally go for in the conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If tonight's polls are right, and Johnson remains on course for an overall majority, will we have to ramp up no deal preparations, or could he revert to an Irish Sea solution, having cast off the DUP?

Any government with large majority will pass a version of WA, backstop under different name

We will be grand once there isnt a feck up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rudd waited for the Johnson/Cummings response to the Commons carry-on before she jumped. Only after long consideration of the effects for herself has she resigned. Another snake with leadership ambitions who wants now to put clear water between herself and Boris now that its all been "spaffed up the wall."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any government with large majority will pass a version of WA, backstop under different name

We will be grand once there isnt a feck up

NI-only Backstop not UK-wide one, though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Rudd waited for the Johnson/Cummings response to the Commons carry-on before she jumped. Only after long consideration of the effects for herself has she resigned. Another snake with leadership ambitions who wants now to put clear water between herself and Boris now that its all been "spaffed up the wall."

She's left the party though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

That depends on who comprises the Conservative party after a GE where they win an overall majority. It comes down to which people are forecast to win the extra seats. If its MPs more sympathetic to the ERG's view, then the Conservatives will surely drift even further from agreeing anything close to May's deal, and they may also have the numbers to defeat another bill to extend Brexit, meaning the only positive about another 3-month extension is that we here in Ireland can get our Christmas shopping done on Amazon.co.uk with no hassle.

At this point, I think the cadre of those in the Cons who want no-deal would be happy with no-deal in perpetuity, and the idea they use to salve concerns that the EU would come back on its knees to the UK would only be a bonus. If it didn't happen, it would be no skin off their nose.

Tactically, there's nothing to be gained by the opposition in voting for a GE in the near future, if electoral polls are to be believed. They already are the government, in effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Strazdas wrote: »
    She's left the party though?

You think the Tories will be long without those 23? I don't, at least most of them. In the longer run it will be Boris and the ERG marginalised. Someone will have to pick up the pieces and it will have to be someone not there when Boris finally implodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wow, thought Johnson might at least have an easy time of it over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I agree. Too little too late for Rudd to reclaim any honour as far as i'm concerned. Plus, why didn't she speak out last week when it was all going down and her colleagues could have done with her support?

Dunno, there is something to be said for a slow drip being more damaging for Johnson than one big event and then everything goes back to relative normality. Losing a minister would not get the coverage it is getting if it happend on the same day as 21 MPs are kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rudd hasn't resigned from the Conservative Party.
    She is a personal friend of the PM. She believed that he was to pursue a deal but wanted the No Deal option just for bargaining, very naive of her. She has now found out how misled she was.

It's weird, like an alternative reality listening the Tories trying to spin something positive out of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

Water John wrote: »
    Rudd hasn't resigned from the Conservative Party.
    She is a personal friend of the PM. She believed that he was to pursue a deal but wanted the No Deal option just for bargaining, very naive of her. She has now found out how misled she was.

It's weird, like an alternative reality listening the Tories trying to spin something positive out of this week.

She has resigned from the party - if she runs again, it will be as an independent conservative, whatever that is

None of the 21 have resigned from the Conservative Party, doubt she has resigned from the party. Don't see anything saying she has in her letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Jizique wrote: »
    She has resigned from the party - if she runs again, it will be as an independent conservative, whatever that is

Amber Rudd has resigned from the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sunday times running with story of 6 other ministers with the same thought process

https://twitter.com/stokel/status/1170436321434832896?s=20

Perhaps they don't want to be part of the farage party. As That's all that's left of the conservatives

Water John wrote: »
    None of the 21 have resigned from the Conservative Party, doubt she has resigned from the party.

From the BBC
    Amber Rudd has quit the cabinet and Conservative Party saying she cannot "stand by" while "loyal moderate Conservatives are expelled".

The work and pensions secretary said she no longer believed leaving the EU with a deal was the government's "main objective".

Ms Rudd described the sacking of 21 Tory MPs on Tuesday as an "assault on decency and democracy".

Labour said her resignation showed the government was "falling apart".

The MP for Hastings and Rye, who supported Remain in the 2016 referendum, said her resignation had been "a difficult decision".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

listermint wrote: »
    Sunday times running with story of 6 other ministers with the same thought process

https://twitter.com/stokel/status/1170436321434832896?s=20

Perhaps they don't want to be part of the farage party. As That's all that's left of the conservatives
    The Tories are becoming the eton branch of the national front

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Being reported tomorrow that No 10 is going to refuse to appoint new EU commissioner and thus the EU will have no choice but to kick the UK out.

Jizique wrote: »
    independent conservative, whatever that is

Considering the amount of Conservatives who have recently become independent, I'd say it's a schism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Are people a bit slow to get up to speed tonight - Rudd is no longer a member of the party.

In other news Labour have lost another MP - Angela Jones is now a LIb Dem so both the main parties are repelling the mainstream. Oh hang on Smith already resigned once didn't she? :o

The Tories are becoming the eton branch of the national front

It's all very filmy but the upcoming general election really has a sense of thriller about it. What alliances will be made, who is yet to jump ship, what underhand tricks are going to be pulled and so on and so on.

Would Farage be happy to sacrifice his new party and the supposed 600 candidates entirely, just to deliver Brexit?
    Will someone realise that Corbyn is still a vote getter for the Tories as much as for Labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Being reported tomorrow that No 10 is going to refuse to appoint new EU commissioner and thus the EU will have no choice but to kick the UK out.

EU Commissioners are nominated by member states and either accepted or rejected by the European Parliament.

The EU has no mechanism to expel a member state, it can only sanction a member state that doesn't obey the rules.

If the UK government doesn't nominate a candidate, the UK parliament can pass an act requiring it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Link please.

I'm simply reading Rudd's letter, I'll wait for confirmation.

Are people a bit slow to get up to speed tonight - Rudd is no longer a member of the party.

In other news Labour have lost another MP - Angela Jones is now a LIb Dem so both the main parties are repelling the mainstream. Oh hang on Smith already resigned once didn't she? :o

If the Conservatives are predicted to get a majority in another GE, I'm not sure how they could be classed as repellent to the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Minus 45 majority now.

Don't listen to twitterports.

That's not possible the EU can't do that.. So I wouldn't bother forwarding anything related to it.

More twitter crap originating from leave origins with little factual grounding.

briany wrote: »
    If the Conservatives are predicted to get a majority in another GE, I'm not sure how they could be classed as repellent to the mainstream.

They're not getting a majority.

Just simply not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

And the Commons just passes another law requiring the government to appoint a comissioner. It seems like they are just grasping at straws at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement