Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

lawred2 wrote: »
    100%

But does it need saying publicly?

That is a fair observation. I think with the question on whether the UK is sending proposals or negotiating with the EU now and the conflicting reports from the EU, it is better to get your message out there for yourself. Then if it comes out after their meeting and the UK denies it, well Varadkar is on record that he would raise the issue and it is harder for Johnson to lie and mislead.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

MadYaker wrote: »
    Maybe it would be better for everyone if they just left on the 31st regardless. This needs to be over now one way or another. I was listening to Patrick Honohan (our central bank governor) on the radio a few days ago and he seemed to think a no deal brexit would obviously be bad but it would only result in a recession that was a fraction (one eight I think he said) of what we experienced after 2008. Agri food business hit the hardest obviously. Dublin would barely be effected as it's industry is very US focused and is mostly based on services / tech / financial etc.

Basically his opinion was the brits will be fcuked but we'll be alright after a year or two and the farmers are gonna need some help.

Soft Landing anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Better get used to it. If you think the US, China, Japan won't bend the UK over a barrel, you are in for a shock.

Just look how hard a bargains Faroe islands and handful African countries have driven. At this rate UK will be setting up NHS in other countries and paying for it.

Japan is one country of a shrinking population yet can handle themselves on the global stage, as does NZ and Australia.

UK would be far better with a five eyes security, trade partnership that is truly global. The EU is a fly in comparison.
    More waffle.

Japan population is not shrinking, just not growing. Secondly, Japan's population is double the UK. Thirdly, Japan is extremely industrious country. Fourthly, it ranks as number one on Economic Complexity Index (ECI) and has held the top place for a long time. Finally, Japan actually produces lot of patents and manufactures hi-tech products which the whole world demands highly. It's a world leader in several industrial areas, comparable to say Germany.

UK is ranks #11 on the ECI which is quite OK, but what is alarming that it dropped from rank #6 in last 10 years. UK absolutely is not an industrial leader AFAIK, manufacturing is in decline in the UK at the expense of services. And any form of Brexit will deal a big blow to any remaining manufacturing.

By the way, can you remind us what exactly does the UK want to sell to the whole rapidly growing world "outside of the protectionist EU" in all those wonderful FTAs the UK is supposedly going to strike after the glorious EU exit?

References:
    https://oec.world/en/rankings/country/eci/

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/gbr/#Economic_Complexity_Ranking

EDIT: Oops, the troll is gone, but perhaps someone else will reply my question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There is actually one exception to the MFN rule which is if two countries decide to create a 'Free Trade Area' which is what a lot of people mean nowadays when they say two countries have signed a 'Trade Agreement'. However there are two problems the UK faces in going down this route;

Firstly they cannot start treating countries they are already trading with worse, simply because they now have a trade agreement with someone else. So the UK cannot for example, make a trade area with the US to allow the free import and export of cars whilst at the same time putting tariffs of say 20% on EU made cars.

Secondly, there is no 'sector picking', so the big canard of 'phoahh we'll lift tariffs on NZ lamb and they'll lift tariffs on our financial products' simply does not fly in reality - if you are going to create a 'Free Trade Area' under WTO rules, those agreements need to cover the entirety of the economy, not just bits and pieces.

In addition to these, the idea that the UK can start levying tariffs willy nilly is also a bit of a slap in the face to the WTO and I suspect would not get very far.
    A free trade area is actually pretty much what the Single Market is. It's not the same as a free trade agreement which can be as broad or as narrow as both parties want. The MFN rules the OP was talking about, only apply outside a free trade agreement. Once you have a free trade agreement, nobody outside that agreement has any right to the conditions agreed. So MFN rules don't apply.

Looks like this story slipped under the "boards.ie radar"
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0908/1074591-brexit-britain-ireland/

French minister says 'no' to more Brexit delays

France's foreign minister has said that, as things stand, the European Union would not grant the UK an extension beyond 31 October to negotiate its exit from the bloc.
    Jean-Yves Le Drian told Europe 1 Radio that it was very worrying and the British must say what they want.
    "In the current circumstances, it's no! ... We are not going to go through this every three months."

If correct, Boris will be able to deliver no deal, despite the best efforts of parliament to thwart him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looks like this story slipped under the "boards.ie radar"

If correct, Boris will be able to deliver no deal, despite the best efforts of parliament to thwart him.

Not really. It's been discussed already.

The French were the same before the previous extension as well, it's all bluster.

When all said and done the French will accept the extension again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

prawnsambo wrote: »
    A free trade area is actually pretty much what the Single Market is. It's not the same as a free trade agreement which can be as broad or as narrow as both parties want. The MFN rules the OP was talking about, only apply outside a free trade agreement. Once you have a free trade agreement, nobody outside that agreement has any right to the conditions agreed. So MFN rules don't apply.
    Only a minor caveat here but EU has in at least their latest FTAs a clause that if any other country gets better terms they will get the same terms as well basically. This is what makes UK's idea that they can get a better trade deal so funny as well because what ever improvement they could get EU gets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Headshot wrote: »
    Not really. It's been discussed already.

The French were the same before the previous extension as well, it's all bluster.

When all said and done the French will accept the extension again.

Possbly, hard to see much advantage to France in forcing a no-deal. Perhaps just trying to send the UK a message that brinksmanship on the question of no-deal is not going to shake the EU.

I would find it quite surprsing if the French went on a solo run and forced a no-deal on the UK, especially given that they did not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Whats the point of another 3 months though. Whats going to change in that time ? A UK election could easily end up with a hung parliament and the same situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Whats the point of another 3 months though. Whats going to change in that time ? A UK election could easily end up with a hung parliament and the same situation ?

Its fairly unlikely, UK politics is in flux right now and the swing vote could go any number of directions. The FPTP system is essentially designed to deliver majorities, hung parliaments are quite rare and there is no reason to expect one in a time of upheaval.

• Advertisement

It could. But a hung parliament where a different coalition take power could put a completely different complexion on things. Or the possibility of a majority. Things are coming to a head now and another three months could make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've a feeling the EU would attach strict terms and conditions to an extension. They won't just say "Here, have another three months on us".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Theanswers wrote: »
    Soft Landing anyone?
    I don't believe that former CB Governor Patrick Honohan said anything like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Well indeed, anything could happen, UK politics is so volatile that we're in uncharted waters. An extreme case, is that the HOP would send the Speaker to Europe as their representative. That would be Box Office Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Macron might be more forceful this time around.
    The last time I think he bowed to Merkel's pressure, but Merkel has since announced her departure.
    Being seen to be tough on the UK might be good for him domestically.
    Some businesses near the Channel would suffer, but apart from that, I think France could weather the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've a feeling the EU would attach strict terms and conditions to an extension. They won't just say "Here, have another three months on us".

An extension, this time would be different, because at the very least there will be an election, so with a new government things may change. If Tories get in with a majority then it will probably be no deal. But at least it will be after an election where everyone knows the issues now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting thread from Faisal Islam tonight on the possibility of an NI-only backstop:
    Northern Ireland-only backstop given a token rebranding, but essentially the same as was totally rejected by UKG in March 2018, is now only plausible landing point for a deal, including one that might get okay from Ireland and European Parliament.

No 10 don’t need DUP any more...

I’m not sure it is plausible to get that through the Commons though. would have to be on back of dozens of Labour votes if they believed it was the only alternative to No Deal. But you would get support from even some of the fired Conservative MPs.

... in practice would mean Great Britain having a Canada style deal, and unfettered freedom to sign trade deals. A form of Irish Sea border, when UK diverged from EU regulations/ signs those deals.

Not sure how you make that palatable across House - maybe a time limit - unlikely.

Understand that some visiting delegations have indeed been told in Brussels that NI-only backstop could be produced “overnight” has backing of EU27, Parliament, Commission - while clearly does not have Unionist support, many NI biz groups have backed it...

It would be so good to see Arlene and co. be thrown under the big Brexit bus after all their hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Number of advantages to granting an extension from the EU.

Johnson whole bluster is shown for what it is. Either he asks for the ex and thus is a lame duck or he refuses and will resign.
    If he stays on and fights an election and wins then the UK public have given their permission for No Deal and this the EU cannot be held to account.
    If he stays, or goes, and the GE fails to return a Tory/BP majority then in effect No Deal is off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Faisal Islam on twitter thinks its a given that a 'rebranded' NI only backstop will be agreed by the UK. DUP not needed so will be thrown under bus. Unionists will be angry, but NI business and majority of population in favour. It was always going to be the only acceptable deal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Faisal Islam on twitter thinks its a given that a 'rebranded' NI only backstop will be agreed by the UK. DUP not needed so will be thrown under bus. Unionists will be angry, but NI business and majority of population in favour. It was always going to be the only acceptable deal

It's the one thing that could get the UK out of the EU by Oct 31 and with a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Faisal Islam, Peter Foster and Tony Connelly(obviously) are going to come out of the Brexit debacle with hugely enhanced reputations. They're just islands of intelligence in a sea of stupidity.

Faisal Islam, Peter Foster and Tony Connelly(obviously) are going to come out of the Brexit debacle with hugely enhanced reputations. They're just islands of intelligence in a sea of stupidity.
    I'd add Ian Dunt to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive said it before but I dont want dual status for NI, it would suck investment out of the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was saying yesterday the DUP are not needed anymore.

Boris could throw them under the bus any day now if he wants a quick deal.

NI unionists are water off a duck's back to Tories. That's what a lot of Irish people have failed to grasp down the years. A part from their votes no political party in the UK has ever liked northern Unionists and would sell them out in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

NI would always be a niche location. I wouldn't be worried about them getting some business. A lot of the spin off would come across the border anyway.

Water John wrote: »
    NI would always be a niche location. I wouldn't be worried about them getting some business. A lot of the spin off would come across the border anyway.
    Exactly. It's not exactly a hive of industry at the moment and every little bit will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

No 10 don’t need DUP any more...

The DUP should have been aware that their loyalty would not always be reciprocal. Big bus coming for them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive said it before but I dont want dual status for NI, it would suck investment out of the Republic.

Some, but a lot less than you'd think. A (comparatively) poorly educated and generally unmotivated workforce; likely to be minimal amounts of visas granted for non-EEA FOM workers. There will be specific roles that might move there, taking the person employed in it with it - finance particularly - but there won't be much else

On a separate part of the topic, I made my first bet in 8 years - a fiver on Clarke as next PM at 12/1. Not expecting to see it back but also find the odds quite long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

As a Brit I like the idea of getting a deal (NI only backstop for instance), but does this still mean the Tories being hauled out of power at the next election? :D

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    As a Brit I like the idea of getting a deal (NI only backstop for instance), but does this still mean the Tories being hauled out of power at the next election? :D
    If they get that deal across the line, I wouldn't bet against them getting a majority. Every silver lining has a cloud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement