Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A neverending extension is good for no one.

It is OK for Ireland - no change at the border or our trading relationships, but continuing uncertainty in the UK lets us hoover up some FDI that might otherwise head for the UK. The permanent weakness of Sterling makes exporting to the UK a challenge, but it beats the collapse that would follow No Deal.

Obviously, the UK deciding to Remain would be better for us, but a neverending extension is better than any Brexit that is likely to happen (Norway+backstop+CTA would be OK for us too, but is unlikely to happen since Remaining is clearly better for the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'll never understand how the Tories allowed this 'party within a party' to exist in the first place. It's clear that they have greater loyalty to their own cabal than they do to either the Tories or the UK, and the fact that they don't even publish their list of members makes it ridiculously undemocratic if candidates are standing for a party but not declaring that they are under the whip of a different group that they do not admit to being a member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Just brexit it ffs.

A neverending extension is good for no one. Would do insane damage despite having no answer.

Just cut the cord and be done with it and if there is damage we can focus on recovering.

I disagree, the longer this goes on the more and more obvious it becomes that there is no such thing as a good brexit. The UKs political system is in crisis and a state of major flux. It could go a number of direction from here, several of them much better than a no-deal outcome.

There is nothing to be gained from giving the extremeists what they want when they are barely hanging on and in severe danger of being tossed out. A three or six month extension would do little enough damage to the EU and would allow time for the political crisis in the UK to mature and with luck resolve itself with more moderate voices reasserting control over the political process. If the extremeists come out on top, and press ahead for a no-deal then we simply get in three months time what we would have had now. Nothing of significance is lost to the EU by delay.

Wait and see is often the best policy, jump when you are not forced to and you might find yourself wondering why you jumped as you nurse your broken legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I know a civil servant in DoIT. He has been sanguine bordering on cheerful about a no deal Brexit but he's spent the last week picking my brain about moving to Ireland and is applying for jobs there. He adamantly refuses to live in the UK under a Johnson government and I do not blame him. If Johnson wins and implements no deal, this country's standing and economy along with the quality of life of many of its citizens and residents will be irrevocably damaged. I

This is something that might happen but because of a crashout we could potentially see a British Brain Drain of skilled and well educated people to Ireland expecially with the common travel area. If they were resident here long enough they'd qualify for Irish citizenship and be able to regain their EU benefits that way. Would be quite ironic too as half a century back we'd lose people to emmigration and because of Brexit now we'd end up as a life raft in a sense for those in the UK who weren't stupid and didnt fall for the lies only to get screwed over by Boris and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Akrasia wrote: »
    I'll never understand how the Tories allowed this 'party within a party' to exist in the first place. It's clear that they have greater loyalty to their own cabal than they do to either the Tories or the UK, and the fact that they don't even publish their list of members makes it ridiculously undemocratic if candidates are standing for a party but not declaring that they are under the whip of a different group that they do not admit to being a member of.

First past the post requires it. You see the same in Labour and the major parties in America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Here is an interesting article from The Guardian this morning outlining 6 ways that Johnson could sabotage the extension letter he has to send. Here's one example:
    Send a second letter to the EU
    This is being considered as an option and has been briefed to papers: when Johnson is obliged to formally seek a Brexit extension, he attaches a second letter saying, in effect: “Ignore the request – we don’t want it.” This would seem unlikely to go down well with EU leaders, and would be seen to go completely against the spirit of the law. As the former supreme court justice Lord Sumption said on Monday: “You’ve got to realise that the courts are not very fond of loopholes.”

It's crazy that we're in a situation where its entirely plausible that he'll send the first letter, and then follow up with a second letter saying to ignore the first one. Nothing seems to be off the table here when it comes to this Tory government trying to wriggle their way out of duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I was against the last extension, and would be of the mind of many posters that another one is simply wasting time and will achieve nothing.

However, when you look at it the current extension certainly has had an effect. TM is gone, replaced by Johnson. HoC have taken control from the PM to assert, once again, that No Deal is not an option.

I think that the mood is changing in the UK. It is hard to tell given the talking heads seem to shout loudest about No Deal but I think more and more people are realising that Johnson, for example, has nothing to offer. Far from being the shining light to help navigate the UK through difficult times, he is nothing more than a few wise cracks and is without any plan.

So what next, another Tory leader, another split parliament? I think it is at least worth it to give an extension to allow a GE to see what way the voters go. If they vote Tory then No Deal it is, the extension just delayed it. If Labour et all win then we could potentially see a reboot based on the removal of some red lines and a return to a least diplomatic normality.

Most can see, except those Hard Brexiteers who won't be happy even with a Hard Brexit as their vision for the UK wil never be realised, that Johnson is going for No Deal not because he thinks it is better for the UK, but because it is the only solution to save himself. The question is, how many see that and how many simply are stuck in the 'Rule Britania, Trump will save us, We can sell out steel to China' brigade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

It is OK for Ireland - no change at the border or our trading relationships, but continuing uncertainty in the UK lets us hoover up some FDI that might otherwise head for the UK. The permanent weakness of Sterling makes exporting to the UK a challenge, but it beats the collapse that would follow No Deal.

Obviously, the UK deciding to Remain would be better for us, but a neverending extension is better than any Brexit that is likely to happen (Norway+backstop+CTA would be OK for us too, but is unlikely to happen since Remaining is clearly better for the UK).

Tell that to farmers or small businesses here.

Why does it matter if Johnson has to ask for an extension anyways?

Why would the EU give them one? They already said they wouldn't extend without something major like an election so labours no no deal law is pointless.

Umaro wrote: »
    Here is an interesting article from The Guardian this morning outlining 6 ways that Johnson could sabotage the extension letter he has to send.

All 6 are nonsense if the idea is to get to October 31st and No Deal.

The best Johnson could hope for form any of them would be Parliament unseating him, installing a caretaker to ask for the extension, and Johnson getting to run as the man who tried to Brexit and went down fighting.

But it is quite likely that the Tories would boot him as leader when he is kicked out of #10, and some of these options would see him in court and possibly jail for lawbreaking, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Under the CTA, UK nationals are able to settle, live and work in Ireland already ; this predates the EU and will not go away under Brexit.

Tell that to farmers or small businesses here.

Which bit exactly?

If you think exporting to the UK is hard now, wait until No Deal when Sterling drops to 1-1 parity with the Euro, before the UK starts with tariffs.

Obviously an extension is better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I have just watched the press conference with Leo and Johnson and Johnson was terrible compared to Leo. He had nothing, Leo came across as prepared, on message and understanding the position we find ourselves in.

Outside appearances only count for so much of course, but that was quite a slap down today from Leo.

At least from a PR perspective, obviously I don't know what happened in the meetings, it is yet another poor display by Johnson. If the UK do leave the EU, when, the Johnson will be expected to bestride the world stage to cement the UK new position at the head of the table alongside US EU and China. He press conferences in Germany, France and now Ireland would not give much confidence in his ability to do that job.

Why would the EU give them one? They already said they wouldn't extend without something major like an election so labours no no deal law is pointless.

There is obviously going to be an election very soon, since the Government has a majority of minus 40, and both Johnson and Corbyn have said they want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So what next, another Tory leader, another split parliament? I think it is at least worth it to give an extension to allow a GE to see what way the voters go. If they vote Tory then No Deal it is, the extension just delayed it. If Labour et all win then we could potentially see a reboot based on the removal of some red lines and a return to a least diplomatic normality.

It's also likely that instead of an election a national unity goverment minus the EuroTrollGroup and PseudoTories ends up being formed out of sheer necessity due to limited time with Ken Clarke as Caretaker PM who either look for another extention if theres enough time OR they use the nuclear option of A50 withdrawal out of simply not having any more time to hit the brakes on this fiasco before instigating a real investigation into these toxic wasters and parasites that have poisoned the well with their Bolloxology.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    At least from a PR perspective, obviously I don't know what happened in the meetings

Nothing happened, of course. Brexit is a matter for the EU27, not for Bilateral talks with Ireland. Varadkar will have reiterated what he said in his public speech - no backstop, no deal. Boris will have wittered and said nothing.

There is obviously going to be an election very soon, since the Government has a majority of minus 40, and both Johnson and Corbyn have said they want one.

But Labour won't agree to an election until Boris gets an extension, which he won't get from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Faisal Islam, Peter Foster and Tony Connelly(obviously) are going to come out of the Brexit debacle with hugely enhanced reputations. They're just islands of intelligence in a sea of stupidity.

I always enjoyed Faisal Islams contributions on Sky but since becoming BBC Economics Editor he seems to have moved out of the front line a lot and isn't used as the flagship Newsnight Economics Editor as that is given to Ben Chu.

Tony Connelly is required reading for anyone looking for an Irish slant on what's going on Brexit wise. He is massively insightful and clearly very well connected.

Peter Foster is relatively new on my radar but over the last few weeks I've been reading some of his output, which as Europe Editor of The Telegraph, I was expecting to be partisan flag waving bluster but he seems to have a super ability to strip away the noise and really focus on the practical realities.

He absolutely rips the BoJo/ERG nonsense apart in last weeks Choppers Brexit Podcast which is without doubt the best 30 minutes of Brexit podcast I've ever listened to.

I recommend everyone take the time to enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

trellheim wrote: »
    Under the CTA, UK nationals are able to settle, live and work in Ireland already ; this predates the EU and will not go away under Brexit.

Which is why we should have avoided importing the world and its brother over the last three years, Dublin is already over capacity and we won't be able to take on a surge of people under the CTA

But Labour won't agree to an election until Boris gets an extension, which he won't get from the EU.

Yes, he will, because you, I and everyone in the EU knows an election is coming, only held back by Parliament while they wait for No Deal Oct 31 to be cancelled.

If Boris asks, he will get the extension. If he refuses to ask, he will be replaced and the next PM will get it while Boris goes in front of a judge to explain breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Things have changed since they last said major change is required for another extension, the most recent line i believe was we will give an extension if they request it although it might be for longer than 3 months and have conditions attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

If they ever do manage to Brexit I am hoping those Russian troll farms immediately flip the script and start advocating for Britain to join the EU and manufacture a campaign for a Join referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Infini wrote: »
    It's also likely that instead of an election a national unity goverment minus the EuroTrollGroup and PseudoTories ends up being formed out of sheer necessity due to limited time with Ken Clarke as Caretaker PM who either look for another extention if theres enough time OR they use the nuclear option of A50 withdrawal out of simply not having any more time to hit the brakes on this fiasco before instigating a real investigation into these toxic wasters and parasites that have poisoned the well with their Bolloxology.

Forming a new government without even having a GE just feeds into the coup story and the only thing this new government could really agree on is that they don't want no-deal, but that choice is out of their hands at some point. Revocation really is the nuclear option in that nobody wants to use it due to the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Won’t the EU be thinking, a general election which is almost certain to result in a hung parliament will solve absolutely nothing?

But they still have to grant an extension for this purpose, just for the optics of it?

BluePlanet wrote: »
    If they ever do manage to Brexit I am hoping those Russian troll farms immediately flip the script and start advocating for Britain to join the EU and manufacture a campaign for a Join referendum.

If UK allies itself towards Russia after Brexit, then they'll probably not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Shelga wrote: »
    Won’t the EU be thinking, a general election which is almost certain to result in a hung parliament will solve absolutely nothing?

But they still have to grant an extension for this purpose, just for the optics of it?
    it was/is my opinion, for what its worth, that brexit effectively died the day the first extension was requested, there is now a battle in the uk about turning off the life support machine, now to mix my metaphors every subsequent extension will be a further nail in the brexit coffin.

How the hell does anyone in the UK believe that after all the antagonism, they're going to resume domestic politics as normal when Brexit is concluded? With the amount of sh*t they've slung at the EU, how could they sit at a table negotiating an FTA like none of that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

briany wrote: »
    How the hell does anyone in the UK believe that after all the antagonism, they're going to resume domestic politics as normal when Brexit is concluded? With the amount of sh*t they've slung at the EU, how could they sit at a table negotiating an FTA like none of that happened?

well if there is one thing we have learned about british governments it is that they are utterly shameless.

farmchoice wrote: »
    well if there is one thing we have learned about british governments it is that they are utterly shameless.

Certainly this British government, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Umaro wrote: »
    Here is an interesting article from The Guardian this morning outlining 6 ways that Johnson could sabotage the extension letter he has to send. Here's one example:

It's crazy that we're in a situation where its entirely plausible that he'll send the first letter, and then follow up with a second letter saying to ignore the first one. Nothing seems to be off the table here when it comes to this Tory government trying to wriggle their way out of duties.

If we're talking mad loopholes, The EU could just ignore the 2nd letter saying that they had already agreed to the first request before they got around to opening the 2nd letter, and that there is no provision for a lame duck prime minister to burn the bridge down after it has already been agreed.

The EU can accept or deny requests from the UK prime minister, there needs to be mutual agreement by both sides. The EU could agree to the extension request, and then simply refuse to agree to the request to cancel the first request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement