Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looks like the lads are going after these 'Spads'.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1171051645985349633

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone know what time voting is this evening?

Depends on everything else by the look of the order paper:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190909.pdf

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Looks like the lads are going after these 'Spads'.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1171051645985349633

Quite all encompassing although I doubt if Cummings has been as careless as to leave a trace, some others might have.

Telegram btw, is not what you perhaps think it is.
    https://telegram.org/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bercow to make statement at 3.30pm.

His wife's there so I'm curious if it's about his future? Probably standing down, huge shame if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,552 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

josip wrote: »
    Quite all encompassing although I doubt if Cummings has been as careless as to leave a trace, some others might have.

Telegram btw, is not what you perhaps think it is.
    https://telegram.org/
    They will also be looking for pages, smoke signals, pigeons, crows, morse code and semaphore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The law blocking no deal has been approved by the queen. So next move boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

devnull wrote: »
    Bercow to make statement at 3.30pm.

His wife's there so I'm curious if it's about his future? Probably standing down, huge shame if so.

that would be.. surely he could see out this parliament... not like it has long left

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It was a pretty good listen. Your man Foster obviously understands the issues, which is quite refreshing.

Hearing the other guy - Tim or whatever his name was - try and compare the WA to the NAFTA deal when asking 'where is the equivalent backstop in NAFTA?' was an absolute facepalm moment though. There are so many people in the UK who would appear to be reasonably intelligent (good education, good job, nice suit) and they just don't flucking get it.

I also watched the video linked to in your signature: 'this man is a hero' - I hadn't seen that before and it was really powerful, hairs standing up watching that.

yeah but did you hear that lady get all excited for that moronic question? "good question" she said :rolleyes:

If they call for an election tonight Bercow will stand down, otherwise he will stand down on 31st October.

He’s standing down before an election so govt (if there is a majority) cannot replace him with their preferred candidate.

Basically he's going but not in a way that helps Johnson in the short term.

John bercow is stepping down as speaker. That shower in the ERG have gotten their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

VinLieger wrote: »
    How does he get the WA through parliament though?

By using actual facts rather than useless emotional rhetoric.

NI is NOT the same as Scotland, Wales or England.

1. It's a disputed territory with more or less equal numbers wanting to be re-unified with RoI as want to remain in the UK (and an increasing number of mostly younger people who don't identify with either status!)

2. It has recently in historic terms ended a multi decade bloody civil war with a peace treaty which is based on an all island economy underpinned by both territories being members of the EU, a commitment from the UK Govt that it has no "selfish strategic or economic interest" in Northern Ireland and it has a clearly defined path to re-unification with RoI via a border referendum process. None of these circumstances apply to Scotland, England or Wales.

3. It is geographically separate from GB and for practical reasons operates differently from GB in terms of being part of an all island electricity market and across many other forms of all island co-operation from waterways to healthcare and most importantly agriculture.

For the above and many other reasons NI is ALREADY treated differently within the UK to Scotland, England and Wales.

If the list of priorities for BoJo boils down to crashing out on a no deal and facing into an election where the front pages are dominated by job losses, 48 hour tailbacks into Calais, shortages of fresh food, a crashing pound etc or re-presenting a NI only backstop as the best of both worlds gift that it is to everyone in NI bar the hardline DUP members we all know BoJo is a man for whom self preservation is a #1 priority and in such a scenario, especially when the DUP confidence and supply agreement no longer makes a blind bit of difference to the HoC arithmetic I can see him bundling a few more little tweaks and apparent concessions (political statement to be re-written to be all about a FTA etc) into a "new" WA which will lose him hardest of hard line ERG'ers (those who have never once voted for the WA) but in exchange he will get enough Labour Leave MP's (excluding the bitter and twisted Kate Hoey) to get it over the line so a GE can be held where he gets to bask in the glory of having gotten Brexit done, do or die!!

The front bench on the government side didn’t even turn around and clap to where his wife and family were sitting. Vile people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    John bercow is stepping down as speaker. That shower in the ERG agave gotten their way.
    He's managed to stymie them though, by making sure that this parliament elects his successor.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He's managed to stymie them though, by making sure that this parliament elects his successor.

“MPs are elected not as delegates but as representatives. We degrade this parliament at our peril.” Another dig there at the Tories.

Bit of a masterstroke from Bercow really, he knew his time was pretty much up but decided that he would leave on his own terms as well as taking the gameplaying head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Sparko

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The front bench on the government side didn’t even turn around and clap to where his wife and family were sitting. Vile people.

I noted that, they looked like bold schoolchildren. Embarrassing.

prawnsambo wrote: »

Yeah actually he’s getting one last chance to stick it to that shower.

Nightmare for Bercow to step down. Would have loved for him to stay until there was some resolution one way or another.
    Who the hell might be next?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nightmare for Bercow to step down. Would have loved for him to stay until there was some resolution one way or another.
    Who the hell might be next?

Ken Clarke for an encore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,552 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Replacement for Bercow could be Chris Bryant......I did love his destruction of Kay Burley in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

Do they really need to spend so much of their only day before parliament gets shut down paying tribute to Bercow?

No disrespect to him, but surely they can do that in their own time and get on with important business today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm pretty gutted Bercow is leaving, I can't blame him as the Tories were lining up to make his life a misery during the next election so he's just right to leave on his own terms. He's one of the very few members in the HOC with some integrity, and he's performed excellently in what must have been a terribly difficult job trying to mediate the clown court that is the British Commons.

I'd love to buy him a pint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

quokula wrote: »
    Do they really need to spend so much of their only day before parliament gets shut down paying tribute to Bercow?

No disrespect to him, but surely they can do that in their own time and get on with important business today.

It needs to be said now or it will never get recorded in Hansard. Not a whole lot else for them to do today though other than vote against Johnson again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

josip wrote: »

They are not doing this on spec - someone has leaked something, and they are going after the proof, possibly already in the hands of the Govt. lawyers on that Scottish court case.

I've clipped his resignation speech here.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/912439c0-627c-4f85-a4ba-14c533a880dd?in=15:37:30&out=15:46:04

As pointed out, the Tory front bench are absolutely loathsome. They can't even give a little clap for a man for 22 years of service to their national parliament (10 years as Speaker). Whether you like him or not, for gods sake have some decency.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/912439c0-627c-4f85-a4ba-14c533a880dd?in=15:37:30&out=15:46:04

As pointed out, the Tory front bench are absolutely loathsome. They can't even give a little clap for a man for 22 years of service to their national parliament (10 years as Speaker). Whether you like him or not, for gods sake have some decency.

And especially when he was giving a personal thank you to his family when you could see he was emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

robinph wrote: »
    It needs to be said now or it will never get recorded in Hansard. Not a whole lot else for them to do today though other than vote against Johnson again.

There are a couple other debates and votes to be held today, which the Guardian this morning was reporting would be run through quicker than normal as otherwise the votes would run well into the early hours.

Having lots of MPs making sycophantic statements, including many of the brexiters who spent the last few months villifying him, just seems pointless, and I don't know what the point of getting it recorded in Hansard is other than massaging some egos.

It all just seems incredibly self indulgent for a parliament that went on holiday for most of the article 50 extension, has only been back for a few days, and now has precious few hours before it's shutting down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Surprisingly, Bone was very supportive.

I couldn’t have even told you how the chaplain of the House of Commons even though I’d have guessed there was one. Does the Dail have a similar person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bercow is going to be a big loss.
    The fact that he is going under more shenanigans by the nether regions of the Tory party is indicative of everything that has gone on for the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He done well with that speech, 7 minutes and always looking at the audience

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement