Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bercow is going to be a big loss.
    The fact that he is going under more shenanigans by the nether regions of the Tory party is indicative of everything that has gone on for the last 3 years.

Are they still continuing with the petty petty sh1t that May started in trying to stop the tradition where a retiring speaker is appointed to the house of lords?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I've clipped his resignation speech here.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/912439c0-627c-4f85-a4ba-14c533a880dd?in=15:37:30&out=15:46:04

As pointed out, the Tory front bench are absolutely loathsome. They can't even give a little clap for a man for 22 years of service to their national parliament (10 years as Speaker). Whether you like him or not, for gods sake have some decency.
    He is also a member of the conservative party....disgusting really

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Was shameful for the Tories to sit there while the rest of the house applauded Bercow. It was nothing to do with politics in that moment, it was about being a decent human being and acknowledging his service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm pretty gutted Bercow is leaving, I can't blame him as the Tories were lining up to make his life a misery during the next election so he's just right to leave on his own terms. He's one of the very few members in the HOC with some integrity, and he's performed excellently in what must have been a terribly difficult job trying to mediate the clown court that is the British Commons.

I'd love to buy him a pint.

There was a natural warmth to him. Something lacking from a lot of that Tory front bench.

A collection of long sold souls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gmisk wrote: »

Technically he isn`t. He was obliged to resign from the party when he became the HOC Speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Bercow is going to be a big loss.
    The fact that he is going under more shenanigans by the nether regions of the Tory party is indicative of everything that has gone on for the last 3 years.

Are they still continuing with the petty petty sh1t that May started in trying to stop the tradition where a retiring speaker is appointed to the house of lords?
    I haven't heard anything about it recently but I had heard that was possibly the plan.

Was shameful for the Tories to sit there while the rest of the house applauded Bercow. It was nothing to do with politics in that moment, it was about being a decent human being and acknowledging his service.
    I agree that moment was a personal one from him to his family and they couldn't even pretend to be decent people.

Ian paisley Jr I think it is misrepresenting the fact that nationalist politicians "no longer take their seats here" but sinn fein never have and the SDLP along with the UUP cant win seats so it's not a case of the SDLP not taking their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I agree that moment was a personal one from him to his family and they couldn't even pretend to be decent people.

To be fair, Michael Gove did turn around and acknowledge Bercow's family and did speak very decently to him as the chief commentator from the government benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gmisk wrote: »

I think he hasn't been a Tory since when he became Speaker - 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Technically he isn`t. He was obliged to resign from the party when he became the HOC Speaker.
    Ah your right my apologies, he was previously conservative

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

VinLieger wrote: »

Blair and Brown are overdue their normally issued knighthoods as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I've clipped his resignation speech here.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/912439c0-627c-4f85-a4ba-14c533a880dd?in=15:37:30&out=15:46:04

As pointed out, the Tory front bench are absolutely loathsome. They can't even give a little clap for a man for 22 years of service to their national parliament (10 years as Speaker). Whether you like him or not, for gods sake have some decency.

The astonishing thing is that he was fair to eurosceptic politicians as well, but they are throwing their toys out of the pram because some of his decisions has gone against them. It is ridiculous really.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1171079036472369152?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Nightmare for Bercow to step down. Would have loved for him to stay until there was some resolution one way or another.
    Who the hell might be next?

It should be labour if precedent is anything to go by (they keep switching and the speaker was a conservative before becoming speaker).

Under this regime, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

With every loophole legal or not been reported in the public domain,it seems that Boris will have no choice but to put a deal in if he wants out on October 31

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been watching parliamentlive.tv for the last half hour or so and it is class entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting comment here, is Boris preparing to backpedal?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1171089035902758912

BS is an unfortunate acronym. As far as I can see, BJ has no intention of dropping his BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

looksee wrote: »
    I have been watching parliamentlive.tv for the last half hour or so and it is class entertainment.
    me too. did you spot who bercow lost the head with on the government bench? i couldn't tell, i thought it was Williamson but he seemed to be gone, was it Gove?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Surprisingly, Bone was very supportive.

Probably because of the way Bercow pronounced his name over the years, to wit

Disappointing to see the Tory frontbenchers sit on their hands, courtesy costs nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,607 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've a funny feeling an NI only backstop is firmly in play. It's the one thing that gets Johnson out of the EU by Oct 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've a funny feeling an NI only backstop is firmly in play. It's the one thing that gets Johnson out of the EU by Oct 31.
    It's a feeling I've had almost since he became PM. Everything he's done with his 'no deal' threats, seemed more aimed at a domestic audience than the EU. It's parliament that's prevented a deal and the one obstacle that he needs to get past, regardless of what deal he's pursuing. So wind down the clock, wind up the rhetoric and frighten them into a corner where they feel thay have no choice.

Parliament has been surprisingly resilient though. So still up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's a feeling I've had almost since he became PM. Everything he's done with his 'no deal' threats, seemed more aimed at a domestic audience than the EU. It's parliament that's prevented a deal and the one obstacle that he needs to get past, regardless of what deal he's pursuing. So wind down the clock, wind up the rhetoric and frighten them into a corner where they feel thay have no choice.

As mentioned above by someone he doesn't even have the numbers to get a NI only backstop only through, looking at it......

Also he really wants an election on Brexit lines, Tories will pick up the main chunk of the pro-Brexit vote, and Lab, Lib Dems, SNP, etc. etc. will fragment the larger remain vote, and under the utterly undemocratic FPTP system, the Tories end up with a majority.

Lab don't have the balls to drop Corbyn which would make them much more elecatable, and the Lib Dems are polling very well as are the SNP in Scotland where the Tories could be wiped out again, esp now they have lost Ruth Davidson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

woejus wrote: »
    Probably because of the way Bercow pronounced his name over the years, to wit

Disappointing to see the Tory frontbenchers sit on their hands, courtesy costs nothing.

When you look at the individuals involved, it's unsurprising.

prawnsambo wrote: »

Seemed to me the pressure was at its zenith during the May's attempts to force the WA through. Boris just can't really be taken seriously, even on serious matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Inquitus wrote: »
    As mentioned above by someone he doesn't even have the numbers to get a NI only backstop only through, looking at it......

Also he really wants an election on Brexit lines, Tories will pick up the main chunk of the pro-Brexit vote, and Lab, Lib Dems, SNP, etc. etc. will fragment the larger remain vote, and under the utterly undemocratic FPTP system, the Tories end up with a majority.

Lab don't have the balls to drop Corbyn which would make them much more elecatable, and the Lib Dems are polling very well as are the SNP in Scotland where the Tories could be wiped out again, esp now they have lost Ruth Davidson.

Agree with a lot of this, i remain unconvinced by the NI only backstop fall back. They seem totally in all out war mode to me which suggests no recourse to any change on the backstop policy, though only time will tell us on that. But i dont agree with your thrust on the labour leader position. Corbyn is leader because he is supported by the majority of the membership and i havent seen any indication of any change on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Correct. With any backstop the ERG are out and labour have consistently opposed May's deal.

(one suspects the pressure for no-deal is not simply for EU 27 but also to back Labour into a corner )

This is a real risky play but if it gets to an NI backstop you just need to vote a simple majority in the House. With crunch time you could really hold it up to Labour if they then vote against an NI backstop deal as a no-deal would then be on Labour, right in the teeth of a GE . If Labour abstain a NI only backstop would go through and probably ERG and DUP can be ignored .

Expect this to get much more fun soon

It's going to be NI-backstop. It comes down to UK blinking amongst themselves, and they will.

trellheim wrote: »
    Correct. With any backstop the ERG are out and labour have consistently opposed May's deal.

(one suspects the pressure for no-deal is not simply for EU 27 but also to back Labour into a corner )

This is a real risky play but if it gets to an NI backstop you just need to vote a simple majority in the House. With crunch time you could really hold it up to Labour if they then vote against an NI backstop deal as a no-deal would then be on Labour, right in the teeth of a GE . If Labour abstain a NI only backstop would go through and probably ERG and DUP can be ignored .

Expect this to get much more fun soon

It would put Labour in a tricky position if it came to pass alright. The backstop, whether NI only or UK wide, was never much of an issue for Labour so their wider issues would still remain. I suspect either that they would grudgingly pass the bill in the event of a guaranteed public vote or, failing that, they would ensure it never got to it as there would be a VONC some time before heading it off.

• Advertisement

Dont know if anyone saw the tory spad on sky news earlier, forget the name, but he is currently unemployed since Amber Rudd's resignation and felt willing and able to speak freely about the party's election chances. According to him, extensive private polling and focus groups by No.10 over the past few weeks had led them to conclude it would be a "tough election" for them. The number mentioned was 295-300 seats which was the top number he felt they could reach. They would lose seats in London, the south-west and Scotland and felt they'd have to win 35 seats in areas they'd never won before and that was just to stand still!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement