Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Nice quote from Edward Carson in 1921:

"What a fool I was. I was only a puppet and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power."

beautiful and very accurate too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That certainly isn't going to happen in less than 52 days.

No reason why not.
    Recall parliament, they would probably vote for this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Of course not, but an extension is UK law at this point. Can't see any way Brexit happens at the end of October so there should be plenty of time for NI to give itself the Backstop as a Christmas presant if the UK government want to take that escape route from their hopelessly contradictory stance on Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No, but if Johnson went to the EU and asked for an extension based on accepting the WA after a positive NI backstop referendum, then the EU would probably grant it. If the ERG are happy to dump the DUP then their glove puppet will be equally happy to dump the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Here's the thing. If such a referendum were held, it would probably pass.

Absolutely and it'd probably pass with quite a over whelming majority too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

Unless Stormont manages to reassemble, I don't really see who'd be calling it though.

58% would vote in favour of remaining aligned with the EU and having a border down the Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

58% would vote in favour of remaining aligned with the EU and having a border down the Irish sea.

I'd have no doubt it would pass by a big margin, but it's just how would the process of actually arranging such a referendum in this kind of time remaining even happen?

It would need to be called today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Unless Stormont manages to reassemble, I don't really see who'd be calling it though.

As johnson says, where there's a will there's a way....

As for the issue with time, i wonder is there a chance the EU, assuming they're au fait with an extension, will insist on a longer period than january and so bringing the possibility of a referendum, not just in NI, into the picture.

I'd have no doubt it would pass by a big margin, but it's just how would the process of actually arranging such a referendum in this kind of time remaining even happen?

It would need to be called today.

Well, very recently, the Tories have been making noises about reintroducing direct rule...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Well at least JRM is sitting upright this time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Who gives Royal Assent if the monarch is incapaciated (ill or gone nuts or something like that ) ?
    The privy council ? That's a guess. If the sitting monarch is out action from reading history, it's either the heir to the throne.

The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland I presume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

As someone earlier posted, they quite possibly already know what it is they want from the disclosure and release request.
    And they may already have someone on the inside who wants to release it but may be unable to do so for fear of prosecution or the Official Secrets Act.
    This is a way to legitimise obtaining the information.
    Could be a slam dunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

dream team upcoming the the EU Trade Commission - Tony Connelly understands that big Phil will be confirmed as EU's chief trade negotiator... He will be assisted by the secretary general of DG Trade by Sabine Weyand, one of the leading negotiators in Michel Barnier's Brexit Task Force

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1171148606964994049

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Precisely. But - I suppose - if something were to later be revealed which had been suppressed now, that would be damaging. So they have to make that calculation. Nonetheless, I expect they will/ would try to suppress anything and everything.
    Apparently aim is for the documents already prepared for disclosure as part of the recent Scottish case but which could not be provided finally as nobody could sign witness statement without facing jail. As documents prepped for that purpose, they are in the hands of lawyers already, so must be handed over on pain of expulsion of the lawyer from the profession. So no way not to provide. According to David Allen Green anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

ath262 wrote: »
    dream team upcoming the the EU Trade Commission - Tony Connelly understands that big Phil will be confirmed as EU's chief trade negotiator... He will be assisted by the secretary general of DG Trade by Sabine Weyand, one of the leading negotiators in Michel Barnier's Brexit Task Force

I get the feeling they're gonna put out the big guns to utterly destroy them so long as the tories are anywhere near the wheel. "Negotiations" will likely end up somewhere between "we came here to laugh at you" and "You'll get nothing and like it" at least until this bunch of chancers is finally dislodged and people with actual integrity and more importantly credibility and trust takes the wheel at the UK to negotiate properly.

As an aside, Varadkar's reference to Ireland being Johnson's Athena was very clever. There are a number of parallels. Firstly, in Greek mythology, Athena was the goddess who knocked Hercules out when he went mad, killed his own children and was about to kill his father. So Ireland/Athena is restraining an insane Johnson/Hercules. Secondly, Athena was sometimes known as the goddess of democracy. So Ireland/Athena represents democracy versus a violent Johnson/Hercules. Thirdly, Athena was also Hercules' half-sister which symbolises the historic ties between Ireland and the UK.

Oh the uk negotiators are in for an awakening. I've never met him but I know people who have and are friends with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,933 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As an aside, Varadkar's reference to Ireland being Johnson's Athena was very clever. There are a number of parallels. Firstly, in Greek mythology, Athena was the goddess who knocked Hercules out when he went mad, killed his own children and was about to kill his father. So Ireland/Athena is restraining an insane Johnson/Hercules. Secondly, Athena was sometimes known as the goddess of democracy. So Ireland/Athena represents democracy versus a violent Johnson/Hercules. Thirdly, Athena was also Hercules' half-sister which symbolises the historic ties between Ireland and the UK.

Carefully crafted words towards a scholar in these matters :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Carefully crafted words towards a scholar in these matters :P

Apparently, his speechwriter is Patrick Geoghegan, of Talking History fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This delights me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Weemcd posted about Bercow, 'I'd love to buy him a pint.'
    So you'll go to the bar and say I want to 'ORDER ORDER' two pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If memory serves Athena helped Hercules out in numerous ways during his Labours, could be a reference to any of them really

She was also a goddess who championed strategy and guile over brute force (Ares/Boris)

Hopefully Coveney is now going to show up perching a Corinthian helm atop his bonce

The BBC's Nick Robinson:

How to sum up last few days for Boris Johnson:

5 days in Commons + 5 major defeats - 21 Tory MPs = 0 majority + 0 election + 0 plan for Brexit + 5 weeks of Parliament suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,933 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apparently, his speechwriter is Patrick Geoghegan, of Talking History fame.

Well Mr. Geoghegan hit the spot today anyway. Johnson was grinning like a Cheshire cat at the references. He was off the reservation before that though.

But I wonder if he realised the forensic meaning behind them immediately. I doubt it.

Whatever our views might be on LV/FG, he was just so polished, professional and statesmanlike today. I was very proud to have him representing us on the World stage.

The comparison between both of them was so evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Also, being a goddess, surely Athena was far more powerful than the demi-god Hercules?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

this is so funny really :D

they are going to shaft Ireland any time now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well Mr. Geoghegan hit the spot today anyway. Johnson was grinning like a Cheshire cat at the references. He was off the reservation before that though.

But I wonder if he realised the forensic meaning behind them immediately. I doubt it.

Whatever our views might be on LV/FG, he was just so polished, professional and statesmanlike today. I was very proud to have him representing us on the World stage.

The comparison between both of them was so evident.

What was this about?

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1171052439111442432

:confused::D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement