Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    I can't really see Johnson as the martyr to the cause type who is willing to spend time behind bars to prove a point, will he resign rather than comply with the law?

If he was then he'd storm the election "went to jail to achieve Brexit" what a great slogan that would be, that's not really Boris though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Jezzbollah bottling it again.

Wants election... but doesn't want election.

You have misread the situation. Johnson has one way to get out of this without breaking the law or a promise, and that is what Corbyn will deny him. Add in that he will ensure that no-deal is avoided and Corbyn is playing a blinder. Johnson is the one bottling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone see Andrew (my dad won world war two) Bridgen on Newsnight? Fantastic LOL moment as he suggested Ireland would be envious of Brexit Britain and it's gleaming preferential trade agreements with the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's like playschool in that parliament with the childish carry on. Lamentable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He's not going to ask for the Ext because he will negotiate the WA with the border in the Irish Sea.
    That's what he'll bring back and take into a GE.
    That's my best reading of it ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Anyone see Andrew (my dad won world war two) Bridgen on Newsnight? Fantastic LOL moment as he suggested Ireland would be envious of Brexit Britain and it's gleaming preferential trade agreements with the United States.

The joys and advantages of gatt24 no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's like playschool in that parliament with the childish carry on. Lamentable stuff.

It really is unbelievable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,122 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Tories are so bad it makes Corybn look like a PM candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Johnson jeering Corbyn again and saying he’s happy to waste £250m a week, that could be better spent building hospitals, or on 4000 nurses, or some rubbish like that- didn’t get it all. His entire front bench grinning smugly, like the gormless, over-privileged, arrogant incompetents that they are.

Complete, total, lies. And he gets away with it again and again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭numbnutz

rearrange the mics on the titanic...comical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What was funny there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

Azatadine wrote: »
    It really is unbelievable!!

Yup, the cut of the wan to the left of Boris (as your looking at him)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jezzbollah bottling it again.

Wants election... but doesn't want election.

Literally not what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,122 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BJ not going to answer Corybn's questions and his front cabient are just laughing

It makes me even prouder to live in Ireland where we have a stable government and none of this childish populist crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jesus Christ....the Commons is an embarrassment. Play school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bilston wrote: »
    Johnson has just confirmed that he will not be asking for another delay.

So what. He said he would go with No Deal, no problem.

Is he defying Parliament or doing something illegal?

I cannot keep up with this drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

We haven't seen this Corbyn (sharp, firebrand, on-message) since 2017.

Water John wrote: »
    He's not going to ask for the Ext because he will negotiate the WA with the border in the Irish Sea.
    That's what he'll bring back and take into a GE.
    That's my best reading of it ATM.

If the newspapers are consistent then they will eat him alive for this. Do not underestimate their desire to eat a PM alive for sales and if he comes back with a worse deal than Theresa May negotiated I think some of them will turn on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

A couple of "Chalk and cheese" observations, after the fun and games today:

(2) Several hours after Johnson's amateur buffoonery in Dublin, John Bercow's "stepping down" speech was a very welcome dose of erudite oratory: a clear and waffle-free statement of what he was doing, when he'd do it, and how he'd come to his decision.

Strange as it may seem on the day when the "mother of all democracies" is shut down for no good reason, it's reassuring to know that politics is not rotten to the core: that there are still examples of quality to be found in the corridors and chambers of power.

Edit to acknowledge Spanish Eyes getting his/her post in while I was writing! Interesting use of the same vocabulary! :)

Find it very odd that so many people mainly remainers but some leavers have zero interest in addressing the bullying allegations aimed at Bercow because they like his stance on Brexit but ah well.

Didn't look great today with all the praise aimed at him that those bullying issues were never touched upon.

Looking at most of the MPs in there it seems they think it's all a big joke.

If the British people had any sense they fcuk the whole lot of them out next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Shelga wrote: »
    Johnson jeering Corbyn again and saying he’s happy to waste £250m a week, that could be better spent building hospitals, or on 4000 nurses, or some rubbish like that- didn’t get it all. His entire front bench grinning smugly, like the gormless, over-privileged, arrogant incompetents that they are.

Complete, total, lies. And he gets away with it again and again and again.

That's because Corbyn is useless in the HoC. This is Johnson's world - debating in front of an audience where he can be fact free and playing them like a fiddle. By comparison, Corbyn is like a sack of potatoes.

Law received Royal Ascent today that he has to ask for an extension on the 19th October if he doesn't bring back a deal before that and get it passed. So, yes he would be doing something illegal if he defies that.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He’s actual a bloody child.

yep. An absolute upper-class self-entitled Etonian twat. At least, his brother had to good sense to resign when he did. :rolleyes:

He'd be breaking the law as far as i understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Headshot wrote: »
    BJ not going to answer Corybn's questions and his front cabient are just laughing

It makes me even prouder to live in Ireland where we have a stable government and none of this childish populist crap

Yet people think our government are clowns.

Grass isn’t always greener.

How can the British people be proud of their national parliament. I know the dail is very scripted and can be boring, but honestly I’d take our dail over this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

This is absolutely farcical carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SNP's Ian Blackford trying to get them to grow up.

Will Ian paisley jr apologize for shacking his head in a dismissive way when a colleague in front of you were talking ? Of course not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I wonder if Johnson went to Brussels and threatened to disrupt all EU procedures until the UK left would they turn round and say "no extension to the UK". I'm not sure how that would work, but the elephant in the room for Remainers is that if the EU doesn't offer an extension then the default position is "No Deal" no matter what Parliament rules.

At the moment I'd expect the EU to agree to an extension, but maybe Johnson will somehow "persuade" them not to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement