Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

boggerman1 wrote: »
    This is absolutely farcical carry on.

It's theatre. Nothing to do with governance. All to do with galvinising the Leave vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

lola85 wrote: »
    Yet people think our government are clowns.

Grass isn’t always greener.

They are clowns alot of the time. Westminster outdoing them in style at the moment though.

Degag wrote: »
    They are clowns alot of the time. Westminster outdoing them in style at the moment though.

The Tories make the Healy Raes look Churchillian.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Great job brexiteers at taking back control of your laws, your money and your border. We have the prime minister saying he will refuse to obey a law just given royal ascent, complaining about being forced to pay 250million a week to the EU because they want to leave the border with the EU completely open and uncontrolled

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Degag wrote: »
    Yup, the cut of the wan to the left of Boris (as your looking at him)

Nicky Morgan I think. Surprising to see her beside the PM on the front bench.
    Quite disappointing also, was on the Grieve side at one stage back in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Tory MP Jeremy Lefroy asked a very pertinent question of the PM and his front bench. They are all working to get a deal but if there is a general election then everything stops in the civil service, including the work they will need to do supporting those negotiating a deal. So how do you negotiate a deal and go for a general election? All those nodding heads about getting a new deal, liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1171184314517581824

The DUP don't half fancy themselves in this...they should be able to see the bus soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Morgan to the left and De Villiers to the right.

Morgan was on the EEA bandwagon for a long time which I thought would be a nice compromise,assume she is not anymore sadly due to her promotion under Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Enzokk wrote: »
    Tory MP Jeremy Lefroy asked a very pertinent question of the PM and his front bench. They are all working to get a deal but if there is a general election then everything stops in the civil service, including the work they will need to do supporting those negotiating a deal. So how do you negotiate a deal and go for a general election? All those nodding heads about getting a new deal, liars.
    And of course, the brexiteers simply ignored that perfectly valid question

She could jump ship any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd say a lot of them still in the Chamber have already had a break in the bar.

But to be fair the shouting and roaring is just unreal. As others have said it is worse than a kid's playground. But maybe it is tradition and allowed and tolerated.

So that is Labour and the SNP who will vote against it, so unless something spectacular happens that would be 6 votes lost out of 6 for Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

When is the vote happening ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Will Ian paisley jr apologize for shacking his head in a dismissive way when a colleague in front of you were talking ? Of course not.

Will paisley apologize for taking money from Sri Lanka.....

When is the vote happening ?

I may be wrong but I think there is 90 minutes of debate for this motion, so another hour. But don't take my word for it, just an assumption.

Edit: Got the tweet with the timings.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1171152081706770438?s=20

This MP is taking something resembling sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This MP is taking something resembling sense.

Sir Alan Duncan

Was that bugger off meant for a certain Mr Cummins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

circadian wrote: »
    Well, as expected the NI economy is hit first. It is either in recession or the brink of recession according to Ulster Bank.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49609767

I can't see how the DUP will survive if the recession starts to hit working class protestant areas. They've already alienated small business and farming groups (with Sammy Wilson telling them their fears over a hard border are wrong) and once the working class voters are hit I'm not sure how they'll spin it or fend off the likes of Alliance and PUP.

No offence meant to anyone but he'll survive because they won't be take any responsibility for their economic status. It's the same with the marching season and bonfires, events that scare off investors and make life hard for local businesses. Then they complain that they're economically neglected.

A short sidetrack to Brexit, the tradition of failing upwards when working for May is being kept up with Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill getting CBE's. They only cost her the majority she had and forced her to get into bed with the DUP which totally threw her Brexit deal down the drain, here have some honors for your failures.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1171174707720269824?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Duncan is a dreadful man, but not awful tonight tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,122 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It amazes me that MP's still think BJ has a plan, it's like they lost all logic. A leopard does not change their spots, once a liar always a liar

What ever happened to thinking of the country first rather than your own party and this is the big problem with the Tories at the moment, they are far to tribalistic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Was that bugger off meant for a certain Mr Cummins ?

Unquestionably. And anyone of his ilk in Downing St.

Another old one-nationer is Alan Duncan, the sort that will have to rebuild the Tories if they are to survive at all.

It's theatre. Nothing to do with governance. All to do with galvinising the Leave vote.

FPTP means that few in UK under that system care about politics much. What's the point for them, particularly in super safe seats? Such a shame.

So the MPa can just rant and rave in the chamber knowing that most will never even have either heard of, nor have any interest in live Parliament TV.

So they are jousting amongst themselves really.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No offence meant to anyone but he'll survive because they won't be take any responsibility for their economic status. It's the same with the marching season and bonfires, events that scare off investors and make life hard for local businesses. Then they complain that they're economically neglected.

They were taking zero responsibility about the fact Stormont hasn't been sitting for three years and apparently they have been the victims in all of this and looking for solutions to get it back but SF keeps blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See the point clarified, as I said at the time, that the 21 Tory MPs who voted against the Govn't are still members of the Conservative Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This debate tonight in the Commons is an absolute disgrace. A baying rabble. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,122 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Damn John please don't leave, please don't :(

I wonder which gob****e bercow told to stop it.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    This debate tonight in the Commons is an absolute disgrace. A baying rabble. Shocking stuff.

Same ole, same ole. They are allowed to do this it would appear. Nothing new there AFAIS. Obviously it is a bit more heated at present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement