Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If I didn’t know any better Id say Boris Johnson looks like he wants to be anywhere else but sitting in the seat he is sitting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If I didn’t know any better Id say Boris Johnson looks like he wants to be anywhere else but sitting in the seat he is sitting now.

The simplest answer is that he thought he could goad Corbyn into an election and he failed and now he is in a sulk seeing he would lose another vote this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

His body language is shocking

He wants out of there asap

Did I see Theresa May standing next to the speakers chair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭amacca

A lot of eye rolling and huffing...looks like one of the prefects might have hauled him into the headmasters office for plotting to steal chocolate from the fifth form boys tuck shop. can almost imagine him in a pair of shorts with a satchel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Jo Swinson is doing great. Baying Tories are actually fairly silent

Jesus.

The treasurer of the Jeremy Corbyn fan club talking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Headshot wrote: »
    The Tories are so bad it makes Corybn look like a PM candidate

And that takes some doing. I still can't believe he's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They're coming back into the chamber...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

And that takes some doing. I still can't believe he's still there.

The only thing that exceeds the pro brexit propaganda in the United Kingdom is the anti Jeremy corbyn propaganda which you seem to have bought into wholesale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The ayes have it but not enough of it, it seems.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ayes - 293
    Noes - 46

Needed 2/3 majority so nowhere close enough. Parliament is now prorogued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Did half of MPs just go home then? As a vote only counts in these circumstances if it’s a vote for the motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Boris Johnson just said that the UK sends 250 million pounds a week to Europe for no purpose.

Well, he's by most accounts a smart man so his failures can't be lost on him.

Shelga wrote: »
    Did half of MPs just go home then? As a vote only counts in these circumstances if it’s a vote for the motion?

You suspect Labour abstained because that way they didn't vote against an election, technically. They knew it wouldn't pass so there was no reason for them to vote and put it on record.

As for Johnson, he has set the record now. He was willing to implement the referendum result and Labour didn't want to. That will be one of the talking points in the election, but you wonder if other circumstances will overtake him in the meantime. He has the small matter of having to go and ask (beg) for an extension or break the law. That will count for more than trying to trick the people that he is their champions.

Francois is up moaning about the Lisbon Treaty being "rammed" through the HOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The absolute madness of a Conservative MP asking the speaker to allow for additional time to debate the deal which Boris is going to get, when he gets it.
    On the night when that party is proroguing Parliament for 5 weeks.

Politicians are a funny bunch, the Tories were trying to force through a Tory Brexit like they spoke for all people. Now that they have lost 6 votes one of the MPs takes on the SNP for not speaking for all of Scotland. Hypocrite much?

Ah, Francois talking now. He is spouting about the Lisbon Treaty and how Labour is afraid of a general election, but the Tories weren't looking for one on Monday. Funny what losing your majority can do for your principles.

• Advertisement

Mark Francois/Peter Griffin up now, whining away, “ask not for who the bell tolls, for it tolls for them”- what on earth is he on about?? :confused:

Never has there been a clearer sign that it’s time for bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is all over for five weeks now.

Hope the thread continues meanwhile. Off to sleep now.

(the mikes should be turned off for anyone other than the MP speaking BTW), then let it rip when they have finished speaking. It is just ridiculous how they shout and roar over each other. But as I said before it must be tradition or something. But can sound infantile.

Memnoch wrote: »
    The only thing that exceeds the pro brexit propaganda in the United Kingdom is the anti Jeremy corbyn propaganda which you seem to have bought into wholesale.

I can't really buy into that as I don't read that kind of sh!te. My issues with Corbyn are ideological.

As far as I can tell, he's a slightly closeted marxist. And I don't mean that in the sense that he would be described as a cultural marxist by some alt-right twit for saying that women should have rights - I mean it in the sense that he legitimately believes in a controlled economy.

Some might like that, but I don't. As I said, it's ideoligical.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is all over for five weeks now.

Hope the thread continues meanwhile. Off to sleep now.

(the mikes should be turned off for anyone other than the MP speaking BTW), then let it rip when they have finished speaking. It is just ridiculous how they shout and roar over each other. But as I said before it must be tradition or something. But can sound infantile.

It tells it's own story. The madness of the night is conveyed even more so with the sound of heckling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Enzokk wrote: »
    Politicians are a funny bunch, the Tories were trying to force through a Tory Brexit like they spoke for all people. Now that they have lost 6 votes one of the MPs takes on the SNP for not speaking for all of Scotland. Hypocrite much?

Ah, Francois talking now. He is spouting about the Lisbon Treaty and how Labour is afraid of a general election, but the Tories weren't looking for one on Monday. Funny what losing your majority can do for your principles.

Complete nonsense about a referendum on the Treaty - the Brexiteers are convinced they could have prevented Lisbon ever being ratified with a mere advisory referendum (little more than a glorified opinion poll under UK law).

The absolute madness of a Conservative MP asking the speaker to allow for additional time to debate the deal which Boris is going to get, when he gets it.
    On the night when that party is proroguing Parliament for 5 weeks.

It was a disgrace.

Not often I have a coffee at 6.53am watching the Commons live.

What a shltshow. That 250m a week comment just spits in the face of every bit of logic that has come out in the last few years. I can't believe he argued the big red bus again. "Enough for five hospitals or five thousand nurses."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Here's me googling the word "Tergiversation". Every day is a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Strikes me no one expected that suspension. Is something happening at the eleventh hour or does Bercow need the loo?

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Here's me googling the word "Tergiversation". Every day is a school day!

Haha me too! He does like his flowery language alright, basically means ‘prevarication’, right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement