Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

sdanseo wrote: »
    True that. He's resigning shortly though, would have done his career no harm to huff and puff for a while. Might not get his knighthood then of course, although I am sure he probably doesn't care.

He licks his lips when he's pissed off or feeling particular sense of achievement. He's furious.

He hasn't been getting that for a while. Do keep up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,046 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

"You're entitled to your view. I couldn't give a flying flamingo."

Or Dare !

Or Dare!

EEEBH7cX4AYjKp9.jpg:large

EEEBgJ5XYAY8ZgV.jpg:large

Say's it all really. Democracy silenced .

Is that real?!

• Advertisement

There will be some serious images of this day.

The pictures of the HOC chamber empty on the govt side and full on the Opposition benches while the Speaker relayed into the record what happened in the HOL was pointed.

Great images now of the remaining MPs shaking hands with the Speaker as they leave the chamber are great.

The CONS are going to regret this so hard!

Is that real?!

Yup!

Loads of images on twitter!

Yup!

Loads of images on twitter!

I missed the last 20 minutes

EEEFk4TWwAAor2S.jpg

Bercow waiting for the Tories, they never did show, another shameful act aimed directly at the speaker. Everyone else returned and shook his hand as they left.

EEEGFdBX4AAlqTf.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 21,596 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I missed the last 20 minutes

You be able to watch it back on Parliamentary TV.

I just watched it. Pretty epic day in the HoC. No question about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Is that real?!

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,596 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm expecting a Brexitcast on this tomorrow. Very interesting to see they're take on it.
    It's kind of like the punditry after the match with the usual biases making a barely disguised appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

What are the actual chances of the EU even giving another extension? Seems like those who voted against no-deal think they've bought themselves a little more time. Could end up panic-voting for a WA if and when the EU declines.

EEEFk4TWwAAor2S.jpgBercow waiting for the Tories, they never did show, another shameful act aimed directly at the speaker.Everyone else returned and shook his hand as they left.

EEEGFdBX4AAlqTf.jpg:large[IMG][/img]

Correction... None of them left in the first place!

You be able to watch it back on Parliamentary TV.

I just watched it. Pretty epic day in the HoC. No question about that.

Literally sat for 6 hours watching it! My Irish Nationalism taking a wallop!

That was a dramatic end to parliament . Scenes of which have never been seen.
    Really is a big mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

J Mysterio wrote: »

Well that's interesting. I suspect that the DUP would simply point to the petition of concern to block anything incisions SSM and Abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Rjd2 wrote: »
    If he was then he'd storm the election "went to jail to achieve Brexit" what a great slogan that would be, that's not really Boris though.:D

You can't be an MP if you've had a (2 year?) Spell in prison. Although I believe technically a PM need not be an MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

J Mysterio wrote: »

Great.. so we're back to May's first deal with the EU?

That not the one sunk under buckets of red blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seems like there was a lot of activity last night! Almost too much to catch up on.

What did I miss in my sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well that's interesting. I suspect that the DUP would simply point to the petition of concern to block anything incisions SSM and Abortion.

Thwy would need to win another seat to even use the PoC procedure again!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bots are out in force on social media this morning.

Lots of obvious bot accounts on Facebook saying
    I support Boris 100%
    Back Boris 100%
    Back no deal 100%

Some article comments and tweets are full of nothing but such phrases. All
    Within a minute of article being posted on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The death of democracy in UK. Ironically BBC had a Rise of Nazis documentary on last evening.

Maybe what we are witnessing is the start of democracy in the U.K.
    Government has been made much more accountable to parliament. Up to now government absolutely controlled the business of Parliament. Backbenchers been roused from their slumber and forced to do what representative parliamentarians are supposed to do - exercise their best judgement on behalf of the people they represent.
    It may be that, in future, this period will be seen as the time that elected representatives were dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age and stopped being just lobby fodder.
    It could be that, amid the apparent chaos, a beneficial revolution is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Maybe they'll actually put a Constitution into writing. I wouldn't hold my breath though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

The Jonhnstonites are truly a petulant bunch, absolutely no sign of respect for speaker of the house.

This whole thing has become a sham and Boris, in fairness, has manouvered the Brexit fiasco fantastically since he was at the centre of the beginning and now here he is to ensure that a hard exit is extremely likely. That'll make those with offshore accounts very happy.

Democracy really can be bought it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

fash wrote: »
    You can't be an MP if you've had a (2 year?) Spell in prison. Although I believe technically a PM need not be an MP.

According to this it is a one year sentence or more, or you have served prison time for more than a year. What is the prison length Johnson can get for defying the law as PM?

UK Parliamentary general
    election Guidance for candidates and agents

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Maybe what we are witnessing is the start of democracy in the U.K.
    Government has been made much more accountable to parliament. Up to now government absolutely controlled the business of Parliament. Backbenchers been roused from their slumber and forced to do what representative parliamentarians are supposed to do - exercise their best judgement on behalf of the people they represent.
    It may be that, in future, this period will be seen as the time that elected representatives were dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age and stopped being just lobby fodder.
    It could be that, amid the apparent chaos, a beneficial revolution is taking place.

The only reason we are seeing this is the numbers in the HoC, at any other time the government has a majority so the opposition is very much restricted in what they can actually do. As we have seen, they need a majority to take control of the order paper for a day and then to get votes through. If May still had her majority this wouldn't have happened.

8-10 wrote: »
    Maybe they'll actually put a Constitution into writing. I wouldn't hold my breath though

The fact that the constitution isn't written down is a has its positives with the negatives. The Speaker would have made decisions that he feels complies with the past precedents in Parliament that would be restricted with a written down constitution. So it may be that what happened last week couldn't have happened if the rules were written down and no-deal would be in the power of Johnson with no recourse for the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Enzokk wrote: »
    According to this it is a one year sentence or more, or you have served prison time for more than a year. What is the prison length Johnson can get for defying the law as PM?.
    On the face of it, if Johnson deliberately seeks to the breach the law requiring him to seek an extension (e.g. by flatly refusing to send the letter that the Benn Bill requires the PM to send) that's the offence of misconduct in public office, for which the maximum sentence is life imprisonment.

Whether he would be prosecuted is another matter. The primary focus would be on getting the letter sent in time. And, if he were prosecuted, who is to say what sentence he would get?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

With Parliament suspended what happens now in practical terms does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭hometruths

Peregrinus wrote: »
    On the face of it, if Johnson deliberately seeks to the breach the law requiring him to seek an extension (e.g. by flatly refusing to send the letter that the Benn Bill requires the PM to send) that's the offence of misconduct in public office, for which the maximum sentence is life imprisonment.

Whether he would be prosecuted is another matter. The primary focus would be on getting the letter sent in time. And, if he were prosecuted, who is to say what sentence he would get?

There is absolutely no way Johnson as PM will break the law, deliberately or otherwise, no matter how strongly he feels about the matter. It is ridiculous to believe he might.

Mass hysteria is building on this issue and it is complete nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

schmittel wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way Johnson as PM will break the law, deliberately or otherwise, no matter how strongly he feels about the matter. It is ridiculous to believe he might.

Mass hysteria is building on this issue and it is complete nonsense!
    In fairness, he's trying very hard to give the impression that he will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement