Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I keep hearing that their is public pressure within Ireland to drop the backstop(BBC & C4)...that is about as accurate as the Bojo's Red Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

The only alternative to the backstop requires the wisdom of Solomon, not Borris.
    The only alternative is to make Northern Ireland autonomous. The republic and Uk both have to give it up and let it become it’s own country, to give it its own identity, and then let them decide themselves for themselves whether to stay in EU or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A GATT 24 reference from Bridgen. I thought we were past that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

screamer wrote: »
    The only alternative to the backstop requires the wisdom of Solomon, not Borris.
    The only alternative is to make Northern Ireland autonomous. The republic and Uk both have to give it up and let it become it’s own country, to give it its own identity, and then let them decide themselves for themselves whether to stay in EU or not.
    It can't stand by itself Even if you were to somehow make it some sort of associate member of the EU (and that's not exactly easy), it doesn't have the income to sustain itself. It costs the UK more than its EU contributions every year to keep NI afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

VinLieger wrote: »
    Poor chap still probably trying to get his irish passport

Wow, I don't want to sound prejudicial but he really does strike me as not very bright.

He has a few bog standard lines rehearsed which he trots out with zero conviction and just as he was about to escape without looking like a complete empty vessel he embarrassingly states that his preferred outcome is for the UK to "invoke GATT 24" which would see a standstill of current arrangements with the EU fur up to 10 years to allow time for a Canada style FTA to be agreed and presumably time for the magic mushroom inspired "alternative arrangements" to be put in place in case a Canada style FTA can't be agreed.

Kirsty Wark couldn't be arsed challenging him on his widely debunked view that GATT 24 was a viable option for the UK on a no deal Brexit and just moved on to the next story.

The cream has definitely not floated to the top of UK politics and I'm not just referring to Bridgen!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This one might well be deleted by a Mod but I think it serves to show how they are so confused about what the EU is that they don't know just what the hell it was responsible for.

Incredible juxtaposition.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1163930751575965696?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There was a mini discussion here earlier today about the effects of Brexit on Premier League football!

This is the funniest one yet. It just gets more and more comical. The EU is being blamed for VAR and handball rules in the PL now....

https://twitter.com/sportsjoedotie/status/1163935808933548040?s=12

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I keep hearing that their is public pressure within Ireland to drop the backstop(BBC & C4)...that is about as accurate as the Bojo's Red Bus.

Yep, the right-wing British media is in full swing now. Trying to undermine us and the EU to make it seem as if we're at fault for the lack of Brexit. Disgraceful and underhanded tactics, and it's only going to get worse over the next 2.5 months.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It can't stand by itself Even if you were to somehow make it some sort of associate member of the EU (and that's not exactly easy), it doesn't have the income to sustain itself. It costs the UK more than its EU contributions every year to keep NI afloat.

I get that, and I know it’s a money pit, but what price is peace? It’s worth looking into to find a way for NI to become independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tom Newton Dunn on Sky News says we'll be into a GE at the end of next month. That's his best reading of it ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There was a mini discussion here earlier today about the effects of Brexit on Premier League football!

This is the funniest one yet. It just gets more and more comical. The EU is being blamed for VAR and handball rules in the PL now....

https://twitter.com/sportsjoedotie/status/1163935808933548040?s=12

:D:D

It came from FIFA in fact (!) The current President Infantino was a fan of the idea and began pushing it from 2016 onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Water John wrote: »
    Tom Newton Dunn on Sky News says we'll be into a GE at the end of next month. That's his best reading of it ATM.

I could well believe this. If Johnson was to win a majority, it would be Bye Bye DUP and hello border down the Irish Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yep, the right-wing British media is in full swing now. Trying to undermine us and the EU to make it seem as if we're at fault for the lack of Brexit. Disgraceful and underhanded tactics, and it's only going to get worse over the next 2.5 months.

Miriam o Callaghan doing the work for Britain in her show this morning.

Watched both Sky News at 9 and BBC News at ten.

Both of them opened the news about Tusks response to Boris's letter with an introduction of what the backstop actually is with graphics to illustrate it.

It's like they've only realized now it needs to be understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If only there was some sort of agreement that was signed between Ireland and the UK regarding the north's constitutional status and delineated the processes required to change same?

I have a feeling you're not quite au fait with the nuances of Irish politics.

I get that, and I know it’s a money pit, but what price is peace? It’s worth looking into to find a way for NI to become independent.

It's really not. No one in the North bar some loony Ulster Nationalists want that.

It smacks of "well if you can't be happy in the UK and I can't be happy in Ireland then we may as well both be miserable on our own!"

Either way no Irish government is going to get into any sort of negotiation with the UK while the lunatics are running the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

This one might well be deleted by a Mod but I think it serves to show how they are so confused about what the EU is that they don't know just what the hell it was responsible for.

Incredible juxtaposition.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1163930751575965696?s=19

Absolute gold.

Explains some of the more bizarre episodes of his managerial career!!

If only there was some sort of agreement that was signed between Ireland and the UK regarding the north's constitutional status and delineated the processes required to change same?

I have a feeling you're not quite au fait with the nuances of Irish politics.

Agreements though are not actions, and action is very different to “agreements”. You don’t have to be rude BTW.

Strazdas wrote: »
    It came from FIFA in fact (!) The current President Infantino was a fan of the idea and began pushing it from 2016 onward.

Even better, rules are changed by the International Football Association Board.

The board consists of a member of each of The FA, the FA of Wales, The Scottish FA and the Irish FA. And 4 members chosen by FIFA.

So, yet again, the "EU/insert international organisation" is being blamed on something that the "Brits" were well in control of!

Agreements though are not actions, and action is very different to “agreements”. You don’t have to be rude BTW.

Agreements are not actions?

What does that mean?

I'm not being rude, but this thread is of a seriously high standard so people need to back up their statements.

You do know that agreement brought the end of a 30yr Civil War within the jurisdiction of the UK?

What do you think it was for?

mod edit: this line of conversation stops here! Below standard posts deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

lola85 wrote: »
    Miriam o Callaghan doing the work for Britain in her show this morning.

What has good old Miriam been saying? Woman is insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Watching sky news press review this evening, Tom Newton Dunn from the sun said that he is informed that Boris will propose that, for a temporary period, Ireland would follow Britain's rules and regulations rather than the EU's, thus removing the border problem.

I am absolutely gobsmacked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Watching sky news press review this evening, Tom Newton Dunn from the sun said that he is informed that Boris will propose that, for a temporary period, Ireland would follow Britain's rules and regulations rather than the EU's, thus removing the border problem.

It's bizarre. What's even more alarming is the fact that Tom Network Dunn seemed to think that this 'solution' was runner and could be used to overcome the backstop problem. It shows the complete misunderstanding, or complete lack of any understanding, when it comes to Ireland's position on Brexit and the backstop.

It's an insulting proposal which should be immediately condemned by all Irish political parties. If this is Johnson's big plan then things are looking bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I don’t understand, strategically what he aims to get from this stuff.

We know he wants it shot down so he can say why is it acceptable for the EU to want the reverse etc but where does he actually see it going?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

30% of NI exports head south. 1% of our exports head north.

70% of deliveries between NI and GB go via Dublin.

A large part of the £9.2Bn a year goes to the 45% of the jobs are state , semi state or state sponsored.

It just doesn't work as an independent state if there's a hard border and a siege mentality with the neighbours.

I can't imagine the Unionists creating loads of new jobs and nothing worth talking about west of the Bann. CBA looking it up now but a report a while back was predicting 200,000+ new jobs over the next few years for the Island and IIRC only 9,600 would be in the North.

NI would have to have open links with the EU ,AND the UK, AND drop corporation tax to our levels to begin to compete with the IDA
    https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/BKMNEXT379_NI.pdf Page 20 for Hard Brexit but still being bailed out by the rest of the UK.
    The cumulated loss of FDI inflows over 2019-2030 would be
    equivalent to 123.1 million GBP. If additional dynamic effects are taken into account associated with
    foregone trade-related productivity growth, in the no-deal scenario, the corresponding losses would
    be 6% in the case of the number of FDI projects and 7.6% for FDI-related new jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

If anything it’s now the complete opposite- once they reverted to type and started insulting and belittling Ireland that has been it. It’s brought out the green white and gold in the most indifferent Irish nationalists. The pervading attitude I sense is let them jump off that cliff come 31st October or preferably sooner. They can come when they want sensible discussions and if not then so be it, we’ll have to re adjust our trading patterns and lives accordingly. I’ve heard no one talk about dropping the backstop- almost completely the opinion as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Were you gobsmacked when the idea that part of the UK should continue to follow EU rules was proposed?

Perhaps now you know how many in the UK felt when that idea was floated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Watched both Sky News at 9 and BBC News at ten.

Both of them opened the news about Tusks response to Boris's letter with an introduction of what the backstop actually is with graphics to illustrate it.

It's like they've only realized now it needs to be understood.

Did either mention the GFA in the segment? BBC's online video snippet didn't refer to it at all and I'm wondering if that is on purpose.

Firblog wrote: »
    Were you gobsmacked when the idea that part of the UK should continue to follow EU rules was proposed?

Perhaps now you know how many in the UK felt when that idea was floated.

It was floated by the UK though.
    Big difference.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Did either mention the GFA in the segment? BBC's online video snippet didn't refer to it at all and I'm wondering if that is on purpose.

No didn't actually.
    Maybe that would be too much information for one night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement