Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I don't see why posters are giving dublinjock a hard time. All these self confirmed experts on the EU, how it works, more than likely wouldn't have had a clue 3 years ago. I just see a poster trying to make sense of the mess who says he voted Brexit, presumably being one of many who fell for the lies of the leave campaign.

Or precisely the type of Brexit voter who could change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    All these self confirmed experts on the EU, how it works, more than likely wouldn't have had a clue 3 years ago.
    Not always correct now either, some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't see why posters are giving dublinjock a hard time. All these self confirmed experts on the EU, how it works, more than likely wouldn't have had a clue 3 years ago. I just see a poster trying to make sense of the mess who says he voted Brexit, presumably being one of many who fell for the lies of the leave campaign.

Asking questions on what they have posted and correcting misinformation about the EU, UK and Brexit is hardly giving them a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Call me Al

dublinjock wrote: »
    I told you why i voted to leave, you dont accept or agree with it so lets leave it at that.
    I wouldn't mind independence from London/UK. I voted to leave the UK as well as the EU. But if i was to bet my money would be on Scotland staying in the UK. But maybe Brexit will give us our independence from the UK.

You didnt do your research, and based your vote on inaccurate and misleading information. You placed your trust in your politicians, and you expected them to act in the national interest, but they turned out to be ignorant arrogant con-men and shysters who have left a trail of destruction in their wake. They have proved to be at best duplicitous and at worst potentially treasonous.

Personally I can't understand why you're not hopping mad that your trust/vote has been abused and thrown back in your face, whilst being used as justification for a no-deal Brexit, and the fallout that will ensue, when that was never your expectation or understanding of the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dublinjock

VinLieger wrote: »
    Beyond the incredibly broad and objectively inaccurate reason of the EU being undemocratic why else do you want to leave it may I ask?

I want to be unshackled from London, i dont then want to be shackled to the EU.

Inquitus wrote: »

Is this the the full document? Have they also released the messages and other info requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

Thanks but i wont be changing my mind.
    The forum is the same as people in thr UK everyone is an expert everyone knows best. Im finding many wonyt talk about there views because of the grief they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I want to be unshackled from London, i dont then want to be shackled to the EU.
    You're in the right country and the wrong country in that order. :)

• Advertisement

The forum is the same as people in thr UK everyone is an expert everyone knows best. Im finding many wonyt talk about there views because of the grief they get.
    Fair enough, it's good to see the other side of an argument and not confine oneself to an echo chamber.

Call me Al wrote: »
    You didnt do your research, and based your vote on inaccurate and misleading information. You placed your trust in your politicians, and you expected them to act in the national interest, but they turned out to be ignorant arrogant con-men and shysters who have left a trail of destruction in their wake. They have proved to be at best duplicitous and at worst potentially treasonous.

Personally I can't understand why you're not hopping mad that your trust/vote has been abused and thrown back in your face, whilst being used as justification for a no-deal Brexit, and the fallout that will ensue, when that was never your expectation or understanding of the process.

Yes your right i so agree i gace my MP instructions and they threw it in my face. You cannot trust polictins this you are right.

I am hoping mad we voted to leave yet i dont think we will. This is all going to end badly. I only expected for the referendum to be honored i was a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

What were the elements of the original Withdrawal Agreement that caused it to be voted down? What needs to be renovated? Will a re-worded NI only backstop be acceptable?

Apologies if I've come across as antagonistic but im honestly really curious as to why you dislike the EU so much.

Fair enough, it's good to see the other side of an argument and not confine oneself to an echo chamber.

Yes its always good to see both sides agree or not agree we all should always be allowed our views.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Planning assumptions only, no mitigation planning. Either this is incomplete or they are a total shambles.

I would have expected far more detail.

Asking questions on what they have posted and correcting misinformation about the EU, UK and Brexit is hardly giving them a hard time.
    Sure, it's the dismissive I know better than you tone, that grates. And precisely why the remain argument in the UK is alienating potential swing votes. All in the background of decades of anti EU lies.

Apologies if I've come across as antagonistic but im honestly really curious as to why you dislike the EU so much.

To be honest i have been full of leaving the UK and only in the last few years gave the EU much thought.
    But the more i learn and talk to people the more i worry, like the London is undemocratic to Scotland i fear the EU will be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes your right i so agree i gace my MP instructions and they threw it in my face. You cannot trust polictins this you are right.

I am hoping mad we voted to leave yet i dont think we will. This is all going to end badly. I only expected for the referendum to be honored i was a fool.

Which MP, I thought you were resident in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,818 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Having read through that document(I wonder what paragraph 15 says.) and if there are still people on the UK thinking that a no deal brexit would be all sunshine and rainbows then I'm sorry but they need their heads examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Having read through that document(I wonder what paragraph 15 says.) ...

apparently covers risks relating to Oil Supply and refineries

Which MP, I thought you were resident in Ireland?

Stewart Hosie

Stewart Hosie.
    I live here yes but you can still vote in the UK elections. This all part of the common area. I can vote in all elections in Ireland and the UK. I cannot vote in Ireland referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Something chilling about the simplicity of the language.
    17 Low income groups will be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel.

That sentence could result in everything from price fixing to rioting.
    Thankfully Farage, JRM, Banks et al are standing up for the working class against the big bad EU.

Stewart Hosie

Stewart Hosie.
    I live here yes but you can still vote in the UK elections. This all part of the common area. I can vote in all elections in Ireland and the UK. I cannot vote in Ireland referendums.

I forgot the UK still allows their emigrants to vote

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Id be curious to know who your MP was and what they campaigned for. Not their specific name or constituency, as this is an anonymous forum, but some detail about them e.g.

1. Tory, campaigned for Brexit, voted for deal, still a member of the party and now backs no deal
    2. Labour, backed remain but changed to leave after the refendum and ran on a policy of a deal but not the Tory deal. Voted against the May deal twice but for it in the "meaningful vote"
    3. Lib Dem, ran on pledge of second ref etc

I ask this because if they campaigned on

The reason I ask is that your TD represents not just you but all of your constituents, and if youre not happy with what they stand for you can tell them, seek to have them recalled or vote against them in the next election.

Then, looking at what they ran on, how have they voted? If they ran on no deal and have voted against the deal that is in keeping with their pledges. The troble is that the other public representatives have been selected because they oppose no deal or the Tory deal. Hence the politicial crisis.

Until there is a clear majority amongst the British people of no deal, leave with deal or remain, or alternatively that the leave with deal people can back either no deal or remain as the least worst option, then its hardly surprising that the politicians are reflecting this inability to reach a majority on any course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

UK citizens can continue to vote in UK elections and referendums for up to 15 years after leaving the country, as far as I know.

Its the same for the Irish they can do the same in the UK.
    The common travel area does not class you as an Immigrant.

To be honest i have been full of leaving the UK and only in the last few years gave the EU much thought.
    But the more i learn and talk to people the more i worry, like the London is undemocratic to Scotland i fear the EU will be as bad.

Why do you fear this? Is there specidic instances in the history of the EU that give you reason to think this?

Do you understand the economic upheaval that would occur in a Independent Scotland outside both the EU and UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Dante7 wrote: »
    What were the elements of the original Withdrawal Agreement that caused it to be voted down? What needs to be renovated? Will a re-worded NI only backstop be acceptable?

No individual elements, more that purist Brexiteers and Remainers effectively have a blocking majority between them, so that arithmetic is unlikely to change no matter what tinkering is done to it.

• Advertisement

Id be curious to know who your MP was and what they campaigned for. Not their specific name or constituency, as this is an anonymous forum, but some detail about them e.g.

1. Tory, campaigned for Brexit, voted for deal, still a member of the party and now backs no deal
    2. Labour, backed remain but changed to leave after the refendum and ran on a policy of a deal but not the Tory deal. Voted against the May deal twice but for it in the "meaningful vote"
    3. Lib Dem, ran on pledge of second ref etc

I ask this because if they campaigned on

The reason I ask is that your TD represents not just you but all of your constituents, and if youre not happy with what they stand for you can tell them, seek to have them recalled or vote against them in the next election.

Then, looking at what they ran on, how have they voted? If they ran on no deal and have voted against the deal that is in keeping with their pledges. The troble is that the other public representatives have been selected because they oppose no deal or the Tory deal. Hence the politicial crisis.

Until there is a clear majority amongst the British people of no deal, leave with deal or remain, or alternatively that the leave with deal people can back either no deal or remain as the least worst option, then its hardly surprising that the politicians are reflecting this inability to reach a majority on any course of action

SNP campaigned against the referendum taking place and campaigned to revoke Article 50. He voted against invoking Article 50, voted against the Withdrawal Agreement, voted for motions to revoke Article 50

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement