Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

In no surprise whatsoever The Daily Telegraph didn't touch the verdict or the Yellowhammer papers in their front page for tomorrow and The Daily Mail went with a story about cancer survival in the UK. There is a snapshot of why the UK is in the position it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

Everyone knew Boris was lying to the Queen. Even the Queen knew it, but she has to fill her role and allow his request for a Queens speech.
    5 weeks off is a joke, 5 days, okay that would be normal.

The question that will decide the stability of the UK long term is whether there are any consequences to lying ot the Queen about the prorogation. If not, then the UK constitution is basically not worth the paper it isn't written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The poor will suffer the most with the rise in food and fuel prices, and these are the winners.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1171903096965992449?s=20

And still you have people eating up what they have to sell them. People buying ice in the middle of the arctic winter and being upset when someone points out they can get it for free and they should stop and think a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Enzokk wrote: »
    The poor will suffer the most with the rise in food and fuel prices, and these are the winners.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1171903096965992449?s=20

And still you have people eating up what they have to sell them. People buying ice in the middle of the arctic winter and being upset when someone points out they can get it for free and they should stop and think a little.

I wouldn't be a fan of Corbyn but he nailed it with this tweet:

Official government documents confirm Boris Johnson is prepared to punish those who can least afford it with a No Deal Brexit to benefit his wealthy friends.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Lewis Goodall has posted a good thread here about Yellowhammer
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1171857956935294977

Click the tweet to see the long thread about all the issues as he's posted a series of them with excerts and also some analysis.

Very scary stuff, but the leavers seem to be saying it's worth it or it's project fear! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Also it's very noticeable that The Sun and the Daily Mail have nothing at all about Brexit on the front page on Thursday, the first day I can remember it being the case for many weeks.

I guess they decided since events happened which don't support their agenda, they'll pretend they never happened and try and hide them from their readership rather than be honest with them.

A damning indictment of the British Press.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

UK are in a long standing political, economic and social union with the EU and the European countries it represents. Ultimately Europeans share the common values of the Enlightenment etc. The events surrounding the UK suddenly deciding to leave the union- 'Brexit' - are so big, the ramifications so far reaching, and the scandals involved so huge, the mechanisms of government and its supposed safeguards just can't react quickly enough to deal with it. Communities, politicians, people, familes, friends are all effected and find it hard to comprehend or digest all of this to a certain extent, and that's probably intentional. A majority want it 'over', but don't take the time to understand how this can 'end'.

With shocking news every other day, there becomes a creeping normality to it, Brexit is like a daily soap: we have the joke about what 'series' it is (must be series 3). The thing about this is when there is so much shocking news, it becomes hard to isolate any one item and concentrate on it, as the news cycle just constantly moves on to a new scandal. This leaves one society somewhat punchdrunk and allows bad actors to do some really nefarious sh1t.

Why has there still been no proper investigation into Vote Leave etc? This is being left till afterward, but it needs to happen now.

There are 'dead cats' everywhere to occupy us. Well, the UK really need to snap out of it and be shook from this paralysis, or metaphorically slapped in the face. This stuff needs to be tackled immediately. Some of the worst villains in this tragedy are are complaining the judiciary are political, well, I say they should be in fear of them as these men are criminals. Of course they discredit the judiciary. The police have work to do - some of this is white collar crime of the worst sort. The police must also be careful not to be politicised. Johnson jokes he doesn't even know his rights.

Yellowhammer now anticipates protests and counterprotests. A rise in disorder and community tensions. At first this is surely angry remainers against angry leavers as things unravel. Then it is just general disorder once wider society reases it has been duped.

Unreal how this keeps degenerating and these bastards continue to get away with it, many of them priviliged sh1ts who were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. They are hoping to make money out of this. Out of yanking the UK out of our union, and so recklessly and in such a brazen and shameful manner.

I mentioned the Shock Doctrine just recently and now we have the Cadwalladr revelation. This is all scary stuff, terrifying to witness really, and hard to stomach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Sunday Times journalist believes she has the scoop on the redacted element of Yellowhammer

twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171873763295682560
    Some scoop

Even the BBC had that one a couple of weeks ago. With numbers.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49405270
    There are six major petroleum refineries in the UK, supporting around 120,000 jobs directly and contributing about £8.6bn to the economy.
    The current tariff on fuel imports from non-EU countries is 4.7%.
    At the same time, the EU has said it will apply a tariff, under WTO rules, of 4.7% to UK exports, making the trade with, for example, Ireland "uneconomical", according to insiders.

£8.2bn is roughly the nett cost of UK contributions to the EU.
    That alone is pure Brexit.

Worst case for us is we get more of our refined fuel from Rotterdam which means it takes a day longer to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In no surprise whatsoever The Daily Telegraph didn't touch the verdict or the Yellowhammer papers in their front page for tomorrow and The Daily Mail went with a story about cancer survival in the UK. There is a snapshot of why the UK is in the position it is.

Keep in mind too that those two rags were acting as cheerleaders for prorogation and the Queen been misled, a potentially illegal act.....this is quite awkward for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I guess it also answers who benefits from the hedge fund gamble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    For this reason alone, I would hope nothing happens on 31st October and they lose a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

This has significant consequences for Ireland - the majority of our petroleum products come from UK refineries

I believe plans were set in motion a while back to move those supplies out of the UK back to Ireland it was mentioned in one of the previous threads.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Keep in mind too that those two rags were acting as cheerleaders for prorogation and the Queen been misled, a potentially illegal act.....this is quite awkward for them

Im sure they can ride the akwardness. Im sure also that people involved with these newspapers stand to make a lot of money from Brexit. They are pushing an editorial line, not printing the reality, facts. They need to be held to account, and government needs to see to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Including some of our reserves or at least that was the case.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 3 month reserve was moved from the UK to the EU (France? I think) about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The population of yellow buntings must be at risk, considering their seems a push to shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Looks like back to square one and Groundhog Day- no Reg divergence whatsoever from the DUP and Johnson statement I see online
    'That simply doesn’t work for the UK' - Boris Johnson rules out Northern Ireland-only backstop

• Registered Users Posts: 39,818 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Are the DUP that bloody petty that they'll risk hurting the NI economy and the people in it just because of the "precious union" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Are the DUP that bloody petty that they'll risk hurting the NI economy and the people in it just because of the "precious union" ?

I know one word replies aren't liked on this forum, but I the answer to that is a most definite "YES".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,818 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also, whatever else you can say about the British monarchy and the head of that monarchy is Queen Elizabeth II, she herself is very popular and the royal family are popular and somehow the sitting PM either was at best economical with the truth about why he wanted to prorogue parliament and at worst flat out lied, to a person the British people on the whole see as a steadying force.

Are the people in charge that dense ? I'm not even British and I've no loyalty to the British royal family but even I know that that doing that is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Also, whatever else you can say about the British monarchy and the head of that monarchy is Queen Elizabeth II, she herself is very popular and the royal family are popular and somehow the sitting PM either was at best economical with the truth about why he wanted to prorogue parliament and at worst flat out lied, to a person the British people on the whole see as a steadying force.

Are the people in charge that dense ? I'm not even British and I've no loyalty to the British royal family but even I know that that doing that is stupid.

So the queen isn’t in charge???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes- of course! They could all be in the poorhouse so long as the curtains were still draped in Union flags. Their one and only aim is to maintain the Union like a cult pretty much like Brexit itself

This is the cover of the Mirror. It's quite striking.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1171901664883814403

I think I need a lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Oh dearie me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Ardent

The UK independent are laying into him as well. Someone's been a bad boy and is in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

bilston wrote: »
    Brexiteers (well some) remind me a bit of the guy at the end of Dr Strangelove riding the nuclear bomb and seemingly loving every minute of it.

Great movie, great role. And the name of the actor aptly describes the UK economy post no-deal: Slim Pickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Popeleo wrote: »
    Great movie, great role. And the name of the actor aptly describes the UK economy post no-deal: Slim Pickens.

Slim had a brother, also an actor, who went by the name of Easy Pickens. This would describe what the Brexiteers promised the British people if they voted for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

SeaBreezes wrote: »

The Byline Times (who I'll admit, I'd never heard of before) have an article on that...

BREXIT DISASTER CAPITALISM £8 Billion Bet on No Deal Crash-Out by Boris Johnson's Leave Backers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I refer to them as the Dumbass Unionist Party for a reason: They're that thick, stupid and incompetent and would wreck NI purely out of spiteful idiocy. The only thing is that they don't speak for the significant majority of NI and honestly should not be given any time so long as they remain in the land of incoherent fantasies and unicorns. They only even got a disproportionate amount of importance and power because they propped up the PseudoTories though they've now outlived their usefulness you can certainly hear Boris in the big red bus being certainly backed up on them as we type! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The DUP could not give a dam about the Union, their objective is to maintain the status quo in NI and that requires the GFA to be torn up and this is there best chance of doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Ever hear that song , "The orange and the green"?

That's Britain right now.

"Oh it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen
    My Father he was British and my Mother European".

That is U.K. politics right now. Delivering unto themselves a division they sowed across their Colonies/Empire. That same Elite are now playing the game on their own Island.For their own narrow gain.

I feel sorry for their people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement