Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

dublinjock wrote: »
    Its not a question of good or bad laws its a question of making your own rules laws for MPS or MSP.
    Sure what the EU stands for does seem good but it dont seem accountable.
    Yes Scotland being independent is good idea.

Try to clear it up for me, you don't want the EU to make your laws but you cannot cite the laws you disagree with that made you reach this conclusion, is that right?

Also I believe Scotland as an independent nation can thrive, but only if it has a close relationship or joins the EU. Scotland as an independent nation with a distant Brexit relationship with the EU will not survive for long. To get a close relationship with the EU for trade you need to buy into a lot of the EU rules and regulations and to ensure that when a dispute happens there is a court to sort it out you need to sign up to ECJ jurisdiction. That means EU laws made by the EU will still influence you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

To be honest i have been full of leaving the UK and only in the last few years gave the EU much thought.
    But the more i learn and talk to people the more i worry, like the London is undemocratic to Scotland i fear the EU will be as bad.

I'm wondering who you're talking to or where youre reading some of this propaganda? You're living in Ireland. Who is feeding you this stuff?

Have you researched the links given to you earlier explaining the structures within the EU and do you understand that the term President in the context of the EU is not what you seem to have believed it is?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thank you nice post.
    Yes i am allowed my view my beliefs and i would fight to my last breath to keep this.
    It does appear im having a big say on this thread because so many people are asking me questions and im doing my best to answer each of them as best i can.
    But now words are being put in my mouth that im stated imm a self claimed expert, which i have never claimed.A lot of people dont like my view fair enough.

I dont think the EU is Democratic the path its on its gonna get more powers and that frightens me.You might not like my view you might not accept my view but please let me have this and dont try to put words in my mouth. Im not saying you did but one poster already did.
    I dont want to shackled to the EU i dont want be shackled to the UK i would like to see a free and independant Scotalnd free to make its own laws . Is this so bad?
    Mod: Leaving all the hyperbole out of it, there's little of substance to most of your posts - raise the bar please!

Thank you nice post.
    Yes i am allowed my view my beliefs and i would fight to my last breath to keep this.
    It does appear im having a big say on this thread because so many people are asking me questions and im doing my best to answer each of them as best i can.
    But now words are being put in my mouth that im stated imm a self claimed expert, which i have never claimed.A lot of people dont like my view fair enough.

I dont think the EU is Democratic the path its on its gonna get more powers and that frightens me.You might not like my view you might not accept my view but please let me have this and dont try to put words in my mouth. Im not saying you did but one poster already did.
    Explain why you believe that the EU is not democratic. Explain why that frightens you but were content to vote for Brexit (despite not understanding the detail).
    In terms of us liking your view or not, you are failing to provide much more than statements with nothing behind them and for this reason I posted the above mod note.
    I dont want to shackled to the EU i dont want be shackled to the UK i would like to see a free and independant Scotalnd free to make its own laws . Is this so bad?
    Please define "free and independent" in terms of being a global trader?
    Can you clarify one law made by the EU you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dublinjock

VinLieger wrote: »
    Whats stopping you making laws within the EU, Please point me to specific examples?

Okay lets say Scotland is independent how do you think a country with 5.5 population, limited natural resources or industry is going to fare on the international stage when it comes to trade?

I say quite well given a chance. Im sure we could have a good arrangements with our friends in England and wales and a good relationship with our friends in Europe.
    If and once we leave the UK let the people decide in a vote for Scotland to leave the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    To be frank, whether I accept your view or like your view is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether your view is fact based or an emotion based gut feeling.

I'd ask precisely where you see the democratic deficit in the EU, and what makes you think it's going to get more powers?

What part of being in the EU has personally negatively impacted you, or what powers do you think the EU is going to have in the future that could negatively impact you?

As I'm sure you're already aware, due to the Irish constitution, any further pooling of sovereignty would require that the majority of Irish people agree to it in a referendum. The idea that the EU can just seize power from a country is paranoid and preposterous to be honest with you.

So you admit the EU does have powers, so again who gave them these powers? Who are they accountable to? How do we take these powers back?

Why would the EU seize power of any country? I know during the bail out here in Ireland the EU did not step in to help with the gambling debts of the bankers, so on that basis you would imagine they would never interfere in countries Ecomines??? So i dont see the EU seizing power.

No one has said the EU doesn't have powers, it'd be pretty useless and pointless if it didnt. The question is whether the pooled sovereignty of 28 (soon 27) countries is greater than the sum of their parts on the international stage. Evidence indicates that it is.

As to who gave them these powers, you did, I did, as did the other citizens of the member states of the European Union. Once more, I'd suggest further research into the structure of the EU, and how your perceived democratic deficit compares to, for example, the 'democracy' the United Kingdom is fighting so hard to 'reinstate'.

I'm really struggling to read your final paragraph, if you'd like to clarify it, I'll certainly address it.

Call me Al wrote: »
    I'm wondering who you're talking to or where youre reading some of this propaganda? You're living in Ireland. Who is feeding you this stuff?

Have you researched the links given to you earlier explaining the structures within the EU and do you understand that the term President in the context of the EU is not what you seem to have believed it is?

Propaganda thats a totally unjust statement.
    Yes i have read the links

Can you answer my simple questions without putting up links?

If you accuse peoples views of being Propaganda then your gonna end up with people not epressing there views. Is this what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I am educating myself about the EU and to me if we are not careful this EU could and properly will become a monster.
    Would you care to back this statement up with any actual facts?
    Im currently living in a country that has a common travel area with the UK. This nothing to do with the EU.
    And this statement has nothing to do with what I posted. I have no idea why you would think this was relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Seems like the Operation Yellowhammer papers released isn't the detailed reports and the government is once again playing their games.

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1171903953199611905?s=20

If it is the will of the (Scottish) people to leave the UK and join EU who are these enemies of the people who would ignore their will? Sexit means Sexit

If it the will to leave the UK yes if it the will of the Scottish people not to join so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I say quite well given a chance. Im sure we could have a good arrangements with our friends in England and wales and a good relationship with our friends in Europe.
    If and once we leave the UK let the people decide in a vote for Scotland to leave the EU.

Okay i cannot put this any more politely but you do not have a single clue how international trade works.

Have a quick watch of this, its a personal favorite of mine to use when brexiteers try to boast about all the great trade deals they will do outside of the EU

Enzokk wrote: »
    Try to clear it up for me, you don't want the EU to make your laws but you cannot cite the laws you disagree with that made you reach this conclusion, is that right?

Also I believe Scotland as an independent nation can thrive, but only if it has a close relationship or joins the EU. Scotland as an independent nation with a distant Brexit relationship with the EU will not survive for long. To get a close relationship with the EU for trade you need to buy into a lot of the EU rules and regulations and to ensure that when a dispute happens there is a court to sort it out you need to sign up to ECJ jurisdiction. That means EU laws made by the EU will still influence you.

Its not a question of disagreeing or agreeing with its laws it has made. Its a question of who made these laws who gave them the powers to make these laws. Was my local MP involved did he agree of disagree?

I think any country should be able to thrive and be able to have good relationships with the EU. I think Scotland could have a good relationship with the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I am educating myself about the EU and to me if we are not careful this EU could and properly will become a monster.

Im currently living in a country that has a common travel area with the UK. This nothing to do with the EU.

You can't be serious with this rhetoric.

We're thankfully beyond this nonsense in this country.

But please stop. We get it, you misunderstand what the EU is or its role.

For 2 days you've repeated the same rubbish despite people (patiently) engaging with you.

It would suit those of us who know better to continue the serious discussion at our normal level of discourse. This is painful to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

which bits that you've learned (and from where) led you to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Its not a question of disagreeing or agreeing with its laws it has made. Its a question of who made these laws who gave them the powers to make these laws. Was my local MP involved did he agree of disagree?
    Everybody can be involved in EU directives or 'laws'. Not just MPs. If you take the trouble to follow one through from start to finish, you can register your concerns, advice and input. Proposed directives are published on the EU websites, the websites of the concerned departments of EU member states and consultation and feedback is encouraged. Something I have done myself.

Mod: Leaving all the hyperbole out of it, there's little of substance to most of your posts - raise the bar please!

Ok i will not post on this thread anymore because the site believes there is little substance im my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

Seems like the Operation Yellowhammer papers released isn't the detailed reports and the government is once again playing their games.

It's no coincidence that Yellowhammer is an anagram of Orwell Mayhem.
    A nice twist provided by a crossword doing civil servant perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We all knew they were crap yesterday and now we have this confirmation.

This is gonna be a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

When the short summary they released yesterday was leaked to the press previously it was dated August 1st and subtitled Base Scenario.

Yesterdays release was dated 2nd August and subtitled Worst Case Scenario. They doctored even this summary before releasing it.

Edit: And of course, when it was leaked the Government claimed it was outdated, but when forced to they released a version dated one day later and otherwise unchanged. Liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

No, however your local MEP did. Expecting your MP to have input is similar to expecting your local councilor to have direct input to decisions of the national parliament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Propaganda thats a totally unjust statement.
    Yes i have read the links

Can you answer my simple questions without putting up links?

If you accuse peoples views of being Propaganda then your gonna end up with people not epressing there views. Is this what you want?

I haven't put up any links so I'm unsure what you mean. The links I'm referring to are those of the posters last night who went to great lengths to clarify incorrect facts you had wrt the EU, its structures, and its democratic systems.

I'm accusing large tracts of the UK media of regurgitating propaganda they've been dripfed over decades. People seem to choose to swallow it whole without asking critical questions of this (good and bad), and choose not to see the huge benefits that have evolved as a direct result of their country's EU membership.
    So I'm wondering where you're reading this stuff. Feel free to answer or not as you choose.

FYI The Scottish courts ruled prorogation illegal and essentially stated that Johnson lied to the Queen, and last night the British government released the Yellowhamner report, ... (a report that's full of facts - frightening facts for many I'm sure). Two EXTREMELY serious events.
    The Daily Mails front page today?
    UKs Cancer Care Shame
    The Yellowhammer report or Scottish ruling don't even get a mention.

ETA the Sun and The Express aren't any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

One paragraph (energy supply and NI related) caught my attention:
    5. Demand for energy will be met and there will be no disruption to electricity or gas interconnectors. In NI there will be not be immediate disruption to electricity supply on Day 1. A rapid SEM split could occur months or years after EU Exit. ...
    It looks like edit/delete options were left in the paragraph for all now to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

darem93 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Jack_Blanchard_/status/1172015270589870081

The right wing media are now trying to find dirt on the Scottish judges who made the ruling yesterday. One of them 'likes France' and the other 'likes jazz and thinks Brexit is going to be difficult'. It's would be laughable if it wasn't so worrying.

Meanwhile Boris LIED to the QUEEN.all over the Mirror. cause the alternative would be the queen protecting her offshore Cayman accounts.. so sorry Boris, the jig is up and your under the bus...

I wonder if Boris saw this coming..
    After his talks with the EU he said 'The EU now see the shape of our problem'
    Boris laid it out the plan of his paymasters..

He mentioned 'I would rather be dead in a ditch' than not leave the EU.. death threats?

And Leo's 'we will be the Athena to your Hercules' .. we will save you from yourselves.. .. and Boris winces.. EU promising to help but at a cost to Boris career?

Or am I reading WAY WAY too much into it all?

John Lewis issues a stark warning...
    UK retailer John Lewis has issued a stark warning on the possible impact of a no-deal Brexit as the retail group reported a £25.9 million (€33 million) pretax loss before exceptionals for the first half of its financial year.

“Should the UK leave the EU without a deal, we expect the effect to be significant and it will not be possible to mitigate that impact,” the partnership’s chairman, Charlie Mayfield, said in a statement.

“We have ensured our financial resilience and taken steps to increase our foreign currency hedging, to build stock where that is sensible, and to improve customs readiness. However, Brexit continues to weigh on consumer sentiment at a crucial time for the sector as we enter the peak trading period.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/john-lewis-issues-stark-no-deal-brexit-warning-1.4015957

• Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Vinlegar, that's the best short synopsis of UK's problem. She nailed it in less than two minutes. An expert with clarity. The two things every Brexiteer hates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Out of interest, when is Mrs Merkel's "30 day deadline" up? Considering the UK have proposed no realistic alternatives to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Out of interest, when is Mrs Merkel's "30 day deadline" up? Considering the UK have proposed no realistic alternatives to date.

It wasn't a real deadline, the UK rags seized upon a purposeful mistranslation of her basically saying "there's time enough to get things sorted in 30 days if we really want to" and turned it into "you have 30 days"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It wasn't a real deadline, the UK rags seized upon a purposeful mistranslation of her basically saying "there's time enough to get things sorted in 30 days if we really want to" and turned it into "you have 30 days"

Oh I'm aware of that, but they seized on it and have gone very quiet on it since.

Johnson must have run out of energy and determination.

gooch2k9 wrote: »

I think Sept 20th (as they met on Aug 21st) but as mentioned, it isn't a deadline, just something the UK press incorrectly interpreted as one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Thats not even what she was saying, it was more "we have not been able to find an alternative to the backstop in 3 years, perhaps you can find the answer in 30 days, good luck with that, you know where to find us when you come up with something".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement