Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

The point about the SIEM is well made - there is no agreement on trading electricity in the intra-island market in a no-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

trellheim wrote: »
    The point about the SIEM is well made - there is no agreement on trading electricity in the intra-island market in a no-deal

Something many people pointed out several threads back but it was added to the project fear list i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think Sept 20th (as they met on Aug 21st) but as mentioned, it isn't a deadline, just something the UK press incorrectly interpreted as one.

Well, yes, but since the British Press seized on it as a 30 day reprieve for Boris, they will presumably hammer him in front page capitals when he reaches the 30 day "deadline" and still has nothing?

Just kidding, of course on the relevant day they will say nothing at all, and if anyone kicks up a fuss, they will explain that it was never a real deadline, that was just a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I am staggered that there seems so little push back about the Yellowhammer document. From the bits on the media tht I have read and heard, the discussion seems to revolve around whether it is base or Worst case!

Nobody seems to be outraged that Brexit has even the possibility of creating food shortages, price hikes, medicine shortages, massive tailbacks at the border. That a government can publish a document like this and the overall reaction amounts to little more than a shrug of the shoulders is baffling to me.

"We are putting in place preparations to avoid these outcomes" seems to be the government line. But no-one, that I have heard, has asked for examples. How do they deal with the medicines? Is there a cost involved, how long will it continue, when it will return to pre-Brexit levels? When will the UK actually see the benefits of Brexit?

What outcome can different parts of the public expect to see and when? Poor, middle class etc. Just yesterday the government rowed back on there visas for students (was 4 months now 2 years) so already immigration is going to go up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Although I didn't hold out much hope for it, it is still a pity. :(

Legal challenge to British Brexit strategy dismissed in Belfast
    One of applicants was high-profile victims’ campaigner Raymond McCord
    A Belfast High Court judge has rejected an application that it would be unlawful for the British government to leave the European Union without a deal....
    He said there was no substance to the suggestion the United Kingdom would be acting unlawfully if it withdrew from the European Union without a withdrawal agreement.

In his judgment, he referred to the “evolving, fluctuating and uncompleted Brexit saga”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/legal-challenge-to-british-brexit-strategy-dismissed-in-belfast-1.4015929

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,292 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I am staggered that there seems so little push back about the Yellowhammer document. From the bits on the media tht I have read and heard, the discussion seems to revolve around whether it is base or Worst case!

Nobody seems to be outraged that Brexit has even the possibility of creating food shortages, price hikes, medicine shortages, massive tailbacks at the border. That a government can publish a document like this and the overall reaction amounts to little more than a shrug of the shoulders is baffling to me.

"We are putting in place preparations to avoid these outcomes" seems to be the government line. But no-one, that I have heard, has asked for examples. How do they deal with the medicines? Is there a cost involved, how long will it continue, when it will return to pre-Brexit levels? When will the UK actually see the benefits of Brexit?

What outcome can different parts of the public expect to see and when? Poor, middle class etc. Just yesterday the government rowed back on there visas for students (was 4 months now 2 years) so already immigration is going to go up.

The belief in Brexit is akin to devout religious faith. Brexit is existential for the faithful. It is beyond fact, beyond logic, beyond debate. The people voted for it on a given day so it must happen, no matter the cost or consequence.

Its worse than that. In the worst case, with the SEM problems, if not addressed the lights actually go out in northern Ireland as we sell them most of their electricity and that market is regulated by the ECJ eventually.

(this is why the proposal a while back for a fleet of barges with gennys).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

David Sassoli, the new president of the European parliament, speaking today:

No Backstop = No Agreement.

and- EU Parliament have ... guess what... a veto over any deal or agreement ....

HERE WE GO FOLKS

Trust the express to spin it like this as the EU caving... lads its a fking intervention to what you wanted originally.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1177064/brexit-news-irish-border-backstop-EU-deal-boris-johnson
    EU offers Northern Ireland-only backstop - a deal they pedalled from the very start...
    THE European Union is ready to offer Boris Johnson the Northern Ireland-only backstop in a desperate bid to strike a Brexit deal.

• Advertisement

I agree with this. There is very little about it being discussed in an urgent manner. The Brexit runaway train is fast approaching, and many of us are in the dark as to what that will bring.

I was also a bit in the dark until six weeks ago when I was talking to a farmer from Connacht. He has beef cattle, and suddenly no factories would take them (abattoir). The cattle were approaching their sell by date. Some of them had 2 weeks to go. I never heard the outcome, but it did make me realise the ripple effect this would have on rural farming communities.

Everyone with sense already knew all of that. It is obvious.

The reason folks are focusing on Base vs. Worst Case is because:

1) The Government are still lying

2) The real worst case is obviously much worse than this

• Registered Users Posts: 39,818 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

HERE WE GO FOLKS

Trust the express to spin it like this as the EU caving... lads its a fking intervention to what you wanted originally.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1177064/brexit-news-irish-border-backstop-EU-deal-boris-johnson

The EU are offering is it ? The backstop is a solution to the red lines that the UK had and the backstop was suggested by the UK... wait for it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The EU are offering is it ? The backstop is a solution to the red lines that the UK had and the backstop was suggested by the UK... wait for it first.

most people reading that have no interest in detail whatsoever - so remembering details from a few years ago which would probably have been misreported at the time is an unreal expectation.

that this was agreed but for the charge of the DUP brigade won't even have registered with most readers of that rag..

the fact that the express are spinning it like that means its there for Boris to run with if he wants.....

Watch Steve baker's twitter for white smoke

Trust the express to spin it like this ]

EU offers Northern Ireland-only backstop - a deal they pedalled from the very start...

Pedalled?

Shocking stuff, an alleged newspaper verging on actual illiteracy on the front page.

Everyone with sense already knew all of that. It is obvious.

The reason folks are focusing on Base vs. Worst Case is because:

1) The Government are still lying

2) The real worst case is obviously much worse than this

Everybody didn't know. It was rumoured, it makes perfect sense if you look at it, but the government had claimed it was all 'project fear' and therefore a large amount of people see it as little more than a largely unlikely scenario. It might happen, but as Leadsom said yesterday she might be hit by a bus in the morning, the inference being that it is very unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/11/amber-rudd-proportional-representation-voting-system-speech-brexit

While I don't agree with her history and politics, and realise PR would give nutters like BP a bigger say, Proportional representation is more democratic, and we have seen how the UK political system has failed.

To be fair PR would mean the nutters like BP would only be able to have a more accurate amount of representation: ie small amount. It would not be able to do what the conservatives have done in the past and be able to have a majority with less than 40% of the vote.

The UK system is badly in need of a reform their media needs to be held to account for publishing blatently false or misleading headlines and articles, they need a written constitution at this point to modernise their system and purge archaic and irrelevant law from their statues and of course FPTP needs to be chucked in the bin as it's distorting the representation as well as disenfranchising voters in "safe seat" areas.

the government had claimed it was all 'project fear' and therefore a large amount of people see it as little more than a largely unlikely scenario.

Everyone with sense knew, just like everyone with sense knew the government were lying.

The Brexiteers will continue to pretend not to know this stuff, when the reality is they knew all along but don't care as long as they get Brexit.

Everyone with sense knew, just like everyone with sense knew the government were lying.

The Brexiteers will continue to pretend not to know this stuff, when the reality is they knew all along but don't care as long as they get Brexit.

You say that, and logic would lead one to agree, but look at the headlines in the papers today. Hardly a word.

The majority of people simple don't understand what is going on, especially when the likes of Gove came out and blatantly lied when the report was first leaked and Leadsom simply dismisses the report.

When the likes of the BBC don't press this is a leading story then it is no wonder that people can easily dismiss it.

Rather than the acceptance that this will happen, people are too easily convinced that it only may happen, and even then only for a short time and sure bravado and a sense of daring-do will sort it out.

Nobody is thinking of the people already struggling to make ends meet being forced to pay more for food or electricity. Nobody is thinking about those in social care that need to pay more for medicines but for which the budgets won't be increased.

There is a significant amount of people within the UK with the 'I'm all right' attitude and this is being feed by the politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

HERE WE GO FOLKS

Britain victorious as Germans offer to take ownership of Dunkirk

Jolyon Maughams been hinting at something to come out this afternoon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Infini wrote: »
    To be fair PR would mean the nutters like BP would only be able to have a more accurate amount of representation: ie small amount. It would not be able to do what the conservatives have done in the past and be able to have a majority with less than 40% of the vote.

The UK system is badly in need of a reform ... and of course FPTP needs to be chucked in the bin as it's distorting the representation as well as disenfranchising voters in "safe seat" areas.

As time wears on, this looks (to me, at least) like the most profound change that will come out of the Brexit Era. During the "have an election" debate at the start of the week, there was that one Tory who pointed out that the next election would be a four-way contest, and traditional Red vs. Blue make-up of Parliament would probably never be seen again.

All the recent polls show the same. While there is maybe, just maybe, an outside chance that the Tories could scrape a majority at some point in the future, the polls indicate that the next government will be controlled by either the SNP or the Lib Dems, either in the form of a coalition or through a confidence and supply agreement.

A side-effect of Brexit and Boris' failed prorogation coup has been to force Labour into coordination (if not outright collaboration) with both the LibDems and the SNP to defeat the Tories. The chances of the Lib Dems subsequently getting into bed with the Tories must be somewhere below zero; and the SNP are not known for leaning towards Conservatism either.

So it seems like the UK will have a minority Labour government for at least five years, and as I've said before, the price of support from the LibDems will be the introduction of proportional representation. This would, in fact be a boon to Labour, as the Brexit Party would be more likely to take safe seats from the Tories than Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Do we have mitigation plans for Brexit published anywhere?

Just wondering what preps our gov have ready cause it looks like no matter what happens it will be a hard Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pedalled?

Shocking stuff, an alleged newspaper verging on actual illiteracy on the front page.

Well, the UK have been trying to take the EU for a ride tbf.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Just wondering what preps our gov have ready cause it looks like no matter what happens it will be a hard Brexit.

Actually I think the chances of hard brexit have dropped considerably since Johnson arrived in Parliament, and the chances of No Brexit at all have increased a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Infini wrote: »

The UK system is badly in need of a reform their media needs to be held to account for publishing blatently false or misleading headlines and articles, they need a written constitution at this point to modernise their system and purge archaic and irrelevant law from their statues and of course FPTP needs to be chucked in the bin as it's distorting the representation as well as disenfranchising voters in "safe seat" areas.

The UK overwhelmingly voted against changing the First Past The Post system recently enough. (2011)

A bit like Cork City rejecting the idea of a directly elected mayor in their recent plebiscite. (With less than a thousand votes making the difference)

If the people democratically vote against having more democracy, then that's the democratic decision. (Unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Actually I think the chances of hard brexit have dropped considerably since Johnson arrived in Parliament, and the chances of No Brexit at all have increased a lot.

I don't know.

The UK main stream media is managing to ignore all the detail and still pushing for no deal. We know what's going on here, but if you rely on mainstream news in the UK your clueless.
    And it seems the true power still lies with those who will profit most from a crash..

Still, just wondering what preps we have in place? We've had three years, surely we are not oil/petrol dependent on UK by now?
    Have ferries been increased? What have we done to 'uncouple gracefully' from the UK? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

HERE WE GO FOLKS

This is good though.

All they seem to actually want is to claim some sort of victory over Jonny Foreigner - substance matters very little.

While a small part of me wants to see them see through their self inflicted implosion just so they see the folly of their arrogance, the reality is the fallout isn’t worth it.

So let them call it whatever they want, the worst of the damage will be avoided on EU terms and some sort of normality is restored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

bobmalooka wrote: »
    This is good though.

All they seem to actually want is to claim some sort of victory over Jonny Foreigner - substance matters very little.

While a small part of me wants to see them see through their self inflicted implosion just so they see the folly of their arrogance, the reality is the fallout isn’t worth it.

So let them call it whatever they want, the worst of the damage will be avoided on EU terms and some sort of normality is restored

Exactly. I was just about to post something similar. The spin is beginning to accumulate around a NI backstop and when the Express is on board, there will be acceptance from the multitudes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement