Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The UK overwhelmingly voted against changing the First Past The Post system recently enough. (2011)

A bit like Cork City rejecting the idea of a directly elected mayor in their recent plebiscite. (With less than a thousand votes making the difference)

If the people democratically vote against having more democracy, then that's the democratic decision. (Unfortunately)

One wonders what the result would be now. I suspect FPTP would be ditched by a heavy margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

But

(as we said above)

Ratification needs a majority. Labour have always went against the WA , and the ERG have been consistent in their opposition. With the Benn bill they have a majority for 2nd ref ....

so unless I am missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

The UK overwhelmingly voted against changing the First Past The Post system recently enough. (2011)
    The result was 68% to 32% against, and on the face of it, that seems overwhelming enough.

Until you see the turnout, and particularly in England. 40%. Therefore England voted overwhelmingly not to bother voting.

And they wonder why they're in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Strazdas wrote: »
    One wonders what the result would be now. I suspect FPTP would be ditched by a heavy margin.

The problem is explaining the differences going from FPTP to STV.

I think that was a key reason the previous ref on voting failed because the average person doesn't really care enough to try to understand why AV is a far better choice than FPTP, trying to get them to understand STV is a whole different beast

• Registered Users Posts: 21,322 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can Parliament change the voting system without a Ref? I would presume so as it is the supreme governing body.

One could also have a federation with each of the 4 parts having its domestic parliament. HOC would be separate and deal with matters like security and external affairs. Might satisfy SNP.

Yellowhammer was never a worst case scenario and any politician saying so is lying. It's either the most likely or a fairly glum but reasonable prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Water John wrote: »
    Can Parliament change the voting system without a Ref? I would presume so as it is the supreme governing body.

Yes they can, there is no written constitution in the UK, so never a requirement to have a referendum like we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

VinLieger wrote: »
    The problem is explaining the differences going from FPTP to STV.

I think that was a key reason the previous ref on voting failed because the average person doesn't really care enough to try to understand why AV is a far better choice than FPTP, trying to get them to understand STV is a whole different beast
    As far as I understand it, the AV system was just another name for STV. In fact (quelle surprise), the 'No' campaign were arguing that it meant that some people would get more than one vote* and used "one person, one vote" as a campaign slogan. Which of course is a gross distortion (quelle surprise encore) of what STV means.

*The 'logic' here being that the longer your vote stayed alive through first and subsequent counts, meant the more votes you got.

You'd think that this would have been a lesson for those in government that referendums need to be well thought out in advance and lies strictly policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

trellheim wrote: »
    Ratification needs a majority. Labour have always went against the WA , and the ERG have been consistent in their opposition. With the Benn bill they have a majority for 2nd ref ....

Yes, this could only have worked if Johnson could believably have pitched the WA+NI backstop deal as the only thing which could prevent No Deal crashout.

He needed 31st October Brexit guillotine to force MPs to give in, it was never about making the EU give in.

This is why he is still using dangerous language saying he won't ask for an extension, he wants to maintain the bluff so that MPs will agree on the WA.

But all the opposition need to do is reject his deal until the 19th October to force him to quit or request an extension, setting up a Nov election where they beat the Tories. They'd much rather have that election than the WA, which is a terrible deal for the UK.

So Johnson's bluff is pointless - no-one is falling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

lawred2 wrote: »
    most people reading that have no interest in detail whatsoever - so remembering details from a few years ago which would probably have been misreported at the time is an unreal expectation.

that this was agreed but for the charge of the DUP brigade won't even have registered with most readers of that rag..

Clicking on that link hurt, but at least i now know that the EU fears it is being played by Johnson - according to Katya Adler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Apparently, Jolyon Maugham has been interviewed for a significant breaking Brexit news story that will be revealed at 4 p.m.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1172020016801374208

• Advertisement

cough I said that upthread

jolyon maughams a law type so what court judgments are due at 4 ? is it the welsh or ni prorog cases ? He's been coy all day on twitter but he knew about it at 0730 am

jolyon maughams a law type so what court judgments are due at 4 ? is it the welsh or ni prorog cases ? He's been coy all day on twitter but he knew about it at 0730 am

It's not a court judgement : it must be something else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The NI court already gave its judgement earlier today. There is no Welsh court hearing as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The NI court already gave its judgement earlier today. There is no Welsh court case as far as I know.
    The NI judgment was on the brexit process effect on the GFA.

Edit: Sorry, there were two judgments today. Including the prorogation case.
    Edit again: Scratch that. Stupid headline writers got it wrong and I fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

But

(as we said above)

so unless I am missing something

Well, there's still the EUlephant in the room! ;)

To a large extent, the Johnson-Cummings coup has (again) backfired spectacularly: the EU has seen that all of Boris' efforts are directed towards a no-deal, but that the majority of MPs want something else. The anti-prorogation movment coupled with recent polling means that the EU now knows that there's a possibility of having a grown-up conversation with a different negotiating team in the very near future, and recent statements (and leaks) from EU spokespersons serve to remind the incoming government at to what's potentially re-negotiable and what's absolutely not up for discussion.

While Johnson is backed into the corner of his own making, and is obliged to reinforce his "do or die [in a ditch]" position in order to keep the Brexit Party at bay, Corbyn has the luxury of being able to sit down with the LibDems and the SNP and quietly figure out a compromise position between themselves that is likely to be acceptable to the EU. Once they have agreed a reasonable plan of action, they can plead for an extension on the grounds of being the Britain's common-sense coalition and a promise to behave sensibly when they get into power ... if the EU would just give them enough time to have that election.

As always Peter Foster says what I try to, far better than I ever could . Brilliant analysis of current EU position and deal possibilities

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1172151802206326786

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm a bit saturated where 'big news' is concerned at this stage. None of this news really seems to make a difference to the end goal. Just seems to be all dismissed as inconveniences.

Lost in the next 'big news' cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have Grieve et al given up on trying to obtain personal communications between government advisors?
    Are they going to settle for just a summary of Yellowhammer?
    Seems a bit underwhelming compared with what they originally asked for.

Ref Jolyon Maugham

I'd say its something to do with the prorog being invalid and a court case taken to open the doors of the Commons because the Supremes have not ruled, so therefore the Scots case takes precedence.

Ref Jolyon Maugham

I'd say its something to do with the prorog being invalid and a court case taken to open the doors of the Commons because the Supremes have not ruled, so therefore the Scots case takes precedence.

Yes, I'd guess it's along the lines of a new legal challenge or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Textra_vision

A relative of mine tried to buy something in a shop recently in Ireland and was charged an extra 3 euro over the listed price on the tag, was told this was "because of brexit".

The price tag lists prices for various currencies, including "EUR - 39.99" at the top and "€IE - 42.99" at the bottom.

Is this really an effect of brexit or is it something else? Shops taking the piss? The person in the shop might have been just waffling, but I'm not sure.

Have a pic but can't post links as I'm a new user.

A relative of mine tried to buy something in a shop recently in Ireland and was charged an extra 3 euro over the listed price on the tag, was told this was "because of brexit".

The price tag lists prices for various currencies, including "EUR - 39.99" at the top and "€IE - 42.99" at the bottom.

Is this really an effect of brexit or is it something else? Shops taking the piss? The person in the shop might have been just waffling, but I'm not sure.

yeah that's what's known as a gouger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What shop was that? Sounds illegitimate.
    Post the link, just break it up. E.g. www. Link. Com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Where was did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭josip

If people don't know the reason for something it can be easy to blame Brexit.
    I suspect the higher Irish cost is to cover the additional transport costs of getting it on to our island.
    Also, from your description it sounds like they were charged the correct price as per the manufacturer's tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Extracting the urine is the phrase you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Textra_vision

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What shop was that? Sounds illegitimate.
    Post the link, just break it up. E.g. www. Link. Com

Ok will give it a try:

https: //i.ibb.co/94PgqW4/image1. jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ok will give it a try:

https: //i.ibb.co/94PgqW4/image1. jpg

image1.jpg

• Advertisement

well one thing is for sure that's not Brexit related..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement