Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headshot wrote: »
    It's great to see the Luxembourg PM backing Ireland all the way and the crowd cheering him on. Great to have friends across Europe
    Indeed...
    The Irish are part of the EU family

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Really laying in.

"Won't let Varadkar down"

"No new proposal, time for talk is over"

"No extension unless valid reason"

The crowd cheered when he was talking about the border.

He's accusing Johnson of waffling / spoofing in public and no new real proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

VinLieger wrote: »
    Labour and specifically Corbyn have been consistent in their fence sitting, nothing more.

If half the electorate vote for one thing, and the other half vote for the opposite, the responsible thing to do is to find common ground and find a way to compromise, rather than just pretend you can just suppress half the country and they'll quietly fall in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Bettel is one hell of a speaker. I think it speaks volumes that he came out, highlighted the right to demonstrate and did his job as PM.

Guardian has covered this. But I wonder how much other - eg - TV news coverage there will be later.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd buy the Luxembourg PM a pint. He's not sugar coating the mess that brexit is. Fair play and the anti EU cant say it's the bigger countries like France and Germany doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

This is so weird, having only one leader present making a statement and taking questions. It is a bad look not taking any questions because of some protests. It was mentioned on Remainiacs that Johnson wants to be liked more than anything else and this is not happening. It must be grinding him that he is despised and probably why he is not facing up to the press.

Strong finish to the press conference. Brexit is a mess you made, don't blame us for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Was anyone else clapping when Xavier Bettel finished with the news conference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This Luxembourg PM isn't holding back anyway! Showing Johnson up for the spoofer that he is. This situation is an absolute disgrace of the highest degree.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headshot wrote: »
    Xavier Bettel is really laying it into Brexit

Go wan Luxembourg PM
    That was some speech!
    There can't be any doubt now in WM about the Eurpoean sentiment towards the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Calina wrote: »
    Bettel is one hell of a speaker. I think it speaks volumes that he came out, highlighted the right to demonstrate and did his job as PM.

Guardian has covered this. But I wonder how much other - eg - TV news coverage there will be later.
    Well the sky news reporter is saying he seemed to be playing the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That was excellent from Bettel, he destroyed the UK political class and in particular the Tories. Called them perfectly on their disgraceful behaviour. Another PR disaster from Johnson. Skipping out from a press conference to boos and then being told the hard truth. The game is up.

Johnson running away to boos and the Lux PM being so passionate should make the UK bulletins.

It sounds like he was exasperated with Johnson's bluffing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hopefully some kind poster will share a replay of Bettel's conference... at work here

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hopefully some kind poster will share a replay of Bettel's conference... at work here

Go to 14:32

lawred2 wrote: »

It's a great conference. The anti-Johnson protesters are all cheering Bettel as he takes questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Well the sky news reporter is saying he seemed to be playing the camera.

What I mean is how much the UK news will highlight Johnson's no show at the press conference. I suspect it will not be the top story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, no extension without a good reason? Think it's time for HM Opposition to break that emergency glass.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Johnson running away to boos and the Lux PM being so passionate should make the UK bulletins.

It sounds like he was exasperated with Johnson's bluffing today.

I'd say that's only the tip of the iceberg of how exasperated they all are. Two years of negotiation down the drain, spoofing and blame game now fully underway in Downing Street.

It only convinces me more and more that the idea of a civilised and orderly Brexit is an impossible fantasy. The UK hasn't put forward any concrete ideas because no options exist. Simple as. It's going to be either May's deal, a crash out, or the end of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I suspect it will not be the top story.

Time to dust off the Iran War/Trump/Coronation Street stories to hide this embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Em, why wasn't the press conference just moved indoors?

The response to this from Brexit/Boris/Tory supporters is quite obvious and will only entrench things even further (if possible). And that was without the Luxembourg PM deciding to proceed alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Wow, Bettel is really Pissed Off.

Was anybody watching it on the BBC news? The news presenter was very funny at the end of the press conference.
    "The prime minister speaking there with clarity and passion"

*pause*

"The Luxemburg prime minister"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

What I mean is how much the UK news will highlight Johnson's no show at the press conference. I suspect it will not be the top story.

it will probably be pretty much ignored, after leo tore him apart to his face last week i assumed it would be all over the British media, hardly a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Yup, how were the protesters so close?

There is a touch of a setup about it but the British diplomats should surely have known a protest was a possibility and been prepared to work around it???

Rather strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The response to this from Brexit/Boris/Tory supporters is quite obvious and will only entrench things even further (if possible). And that was without the Luxembourg PM deciding to proceed alone.

Why should they move it inside to protect his fragile ego?

And tbh he would have got far more play with the hard brexiteers if he stood up in front of the podium and let the crowd shout over him every time he uttered a lie or nonsense answer.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'd say that's only the tip of the iceberg of how exasperated they all are. Two years of negotiation down the drain, spoofing and blame game now fully underway in Downing Street.

It only convinces me more and more that the idea of a civilised and orderly Brexit is an impossible fantasy. The UK hasn't put forward any concrete ideas because no options exist. Simple as. It's going to be either May's deal, a crash out, or the end of Brexit.

It seems Johnson must have given Bettel a load of hot air and Incredible Hulk nonsense. He (Bettel) seemed really angry.

Strazdas wrote: »
    It seems Johnson must have given Bettel a load of hot air and Incredible Hulk nonsense. He (Bettel) seemed really angry.

He seemed furious. Good for him. It's about time someone came out and called this for what it is. A sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Johnson live on euronews twitter now lying his ass off

https://twitter.com/euronews/status/1173605763593510914

Edit: finished quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Because the Luxemburg PM mentioned it, in a democracy people have a right to protest and to be heard. To do it inside away from the crowds solves nothing and doesn't help democracy at all. Johnson may be able to avoid scrutiny in the UK but the EU will not give him that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

PropJoe10 wrote: »

An election and a Labour led government could easily lead to a sensible exit that looks a lot like EFTA, as they've been in favour of since the referendum, as have many moderate Tories. Such a deal is completely compatible with the withdrawal agreement.

I've said it before, but the vast majority of MPs (i.e. the opposition) who voted against the deal did so because the political declaration didn't have any strong commitments and basically gave May a free hand to degrade standards and rights in the UK. The backstop was only a concern for the hard right Tory rebels. The right wing media have run with it since then and made it the main issue.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Johnson live on euronews twitter now lying his ass off

https://twitter.com/euronews/status/1173605763593510914

Edit: finished quickly

What did he say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement