Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not sure if you've made this up or not, but it's fully believable.

It's true.

Have to say he sounded very sincere when he was making that statement so something will likely have to change in the UK for that extension request to stand a better chance. The subtext of it might have been get rid of this PM, force a GE and then you will get your extension, but thats reading between the lines.
    The only reading between the lines I see is, "Ireland brace yourself, we will protect the single market!" In the event of a no-deal, you'll have to decide about the hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Have to say he sounded very sincere when he was making that statement so something will likely have to change in the UK for that extension request to stand a better chance. The subtext of it might have been get rid of this PM, force a GE and then you will get your extension, but thats reading between the lines.

I'd say forcing a 2nd referendum would be a better bet. The opposition have the parliamentary numbers to get this over the line, in theory. Not that the opposition are unified in their thinking - far from it, but as things come to the crunch and real desperate panic sets in, and Boris looks content to know that simple inertia will get Brexit over the line, voting for a 2nd ref would be the move that pulls the UK plane out of its determined nosedive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would say that a no-confidence vote in Johnson and a temporary government before a GE would do the trick there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The only reading between the lines I see is, "Ireland brace yourself, we will protect the single market!" In the event of a no-deal, you'll have to decide about the hard border.

On the other hand, he was very warm in his words about Leo and reassuring in their commitment to Ireland and the GFA, however much the border question is going to sting. I read that as them saying, look this is going to be tough for you, but you'll get every assistance from us we can give you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

There is no decision.

Nate

briany wrote: »
    I'd say forcing a 2nd referendum would be a better bet. The opposition have the parliamentary numbers to get this over the line, in theory. Not that the opposition are unified in their thinking - far from it, but as things come to the crunch and real desperate panic sets in, and Boris looks content to know that simple inertia will get Brexit over the line, voting for a 2nd ref would be the move that pulls the UK plane out of its determined nosedive.

That seems complicated to me for a couple of reasons. What do you base the referendum on and you also have to count on getting an extension beyond january which the eu has to offer.

There is no decision.

Nate
    In that case, hard border it is and all the troubles that come with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

After today's stunt by the incredible sulk the sooner the UK leaves the better.Johnson/cummings wants a crash out so let them have it.the EU needs to move on with life and leave England sew in its mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Correct.

Nate

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would say that a no-confidence vote in Johnson and a temporary government before a GE would do the trick there.

Have always had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that the legislation on its own would prove inadequate and we'd be back to the conundrum of temporary governments and who would lead it and all the malarkey we saw the last time it cropped up. Far from straightforward, but i still think it might end up being the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Have always had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that the legislation on its own would prove inadequate and we'd be back to the conundrum of temporary governments and who would lead it and all the malarkey we saw the last time it cropped up. Far from straightforward, but i still think it might end up being the only way.

Likewise. Get someone reasonable in there with moderate and realistic views (Kenneth Clarke comes to mind) before a GE, and I'd say the EU would be okay with another extension. If that doesn't happen, then its a No Deal unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1173607985911873542

The BBC really is nothing more than a Tory propoganda distributor these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The brexiteer Pram is being emptied of toys on social media. The general tone is how dare the EU do this to a U.K. Prime minister ?

Good.....'they don't like it up 'em' as Corporal Jones would say.
    Dads army ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Laura k showing she is totally out of her depth.clueless.meanwhile on lbc farage is having a field day about the nasty European's and the "humiliation" of poor old Johnson.even a reporter on lbc that I thought was ok on lbc Theo usherwood is now spouting the propaganda of plucky Britain.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Likewise. Get someone reasonable in there with moderate and realistic views (Kenneth Clarke comes to mind) before a GE, and I'd say the EU would be okay with another extension. If that doesn't happen, then its a No Deal unfortunately.

If it does come down to it and then fails to materialise, then it'll be because all those mps who kept telling us no deal was the worst thing that could possibly happen their country didn't actually turn out to be the case. I would imagine many of them are just hoping it doesnt have to come to making that choice, we'll just have to wait and see i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The UK don't want any deal as that would mean paying tax on their offshore accounts and that is the whole point of bankrolling Brexit.. who cares how the peasants suffer after a hard exit and crash. Dont Boris, JRM and Farage all make MORE money the harder they can crash the economy? And their paymasters?

Boris had nothing new and is wasting EU diplomats time to pretend like he wants a deal. EU are frustrated at being played like this, and express thus frustration. Playing right into the hands of Brexiteers... 'how dare this foreigner of a small country tell us how to behave'
    Media stir up the racist and no deal Brexit becomes a 'we'll show them'

Either way the 1% win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, but that's playing at home. Johnson didn't want to play away.

That makes a change...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Johnson seemed to tell Laura K on BBC News at 6 he would break the law if necessary to leave the EU on Oct 31

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Boris had nothing new and is wasting EU diplomats time to pretend like he wants a deal. EU are frustrated at being played like this
    You have to wonder if this is another part of the "gaming" strategy of Cummings - p1ss the European leaders off so much that they won't grant an extension.

In which case they should do as Andrew Adonis suggested, and give the UK an extension of 500 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

For a short while until the UK comes to its senses. A month, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Strazdas wrote: »
    Johnson seemed to tell Laura K on BBC News at 6 he would break the law if necessary to leave the EU on Oct 31

Was it just me or was the audio of Bettel of a bad quality in that report, were they trying to prove a point as why Boris didn't go out. Certainly didn't sound as audible as snippets on other news outlets that I've heard of the speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

British PM humiliated by Luxembourg

How the mighty have fallen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This was always going to be the case if the UK chose the default exit.
    We suffer from their choices but it's a no brain decision for us to stay within the EU.

Anyone who starts that crap again is a traitor to Ireland.
    However a hard Brexit is the most likely thing to help deliver a united Ireland!

serfboard wrote: »
    You have to wonder if this is another part of the "gaming" strategy of Cummings - p1ss the European leaders off so much that they won't grant an extension.

In which case they should do as Andrew Adonis suggested, and give the UK an extension of 500 years!

Could be i suppose, it would certainly square the circle between "I will obey the law" and "we will be leaving on 31 October deal or no deal" anyway. Problem with that is as soon as extension request is denied, parliament will surely vote Johnson out and then go back again with a new pm in place. At which point EU may well be exhausted by UK shenanigans anyway and simply tell them to hump off.

Equally, Johnson may be sincerely hoping to arrange a deal, some sort of fudge, he can take back and then ensure doesn't pass the house and slip into no deal that way. But your head would hurt trying to figure out all these possible permatations!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1173635257469480964

(click for thread)

The British "want more a border" now than previously according to Peston.

But the line from EU/Ire side has always been no physical infrastructure or associated checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I have a feeling Labour will win a majority next time round, even as polls suggest this to be very unlikely.

I sincerely doubt it. Corbyn is toxic to large swathes of voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Was it ever supposed to be otherwise ??

If we are serious about being a part of the EU or even about being a sovereign nation outside the UK then we have to protect our borders and the Irish \ EU markets.

There will be some fudge and we will be allowed some leeway \ delays by the EU but at the end of the day we arent a smuggling route for the UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Laura k showing she is totally out of her depth.clueless.meanwhile on lbc farage is having a field day about the nasty European's and the "humiliation" of poor old Johnson.even a reporter on lbc that I thought was ok on lbc Theo usherwood is now spouting the propaganda of plucky Britain.

She's angling for a Tory/government advisor/spin doctor. She's completely and utterly compromised.

And she comes across as immature and far too interested in rumors and gossip. Bang of a schoolyard off her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

knipex wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt it. Corbyn is toxic to large swathes of voters.

He can lose 5% off his vote percentage from the last general election he fought and do enough to form a government!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement