Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

knipex wrote: »
    Was it ever supposed to be otherwise ??

If we are serious about being a part of the EU or even about being a sovereign nation outside the UK then we have to protect our borders and the Irish \ EU markets.

There will be some fudge and we will be allowed some leeway \ delays by the EU but at the end of the day we arent a smuggling route for the UK..

Of course, and the leeway has already been confirmed iirc. It is inevitable that the longer no-deal lasts the harder the border will become, which is why any talks with the UK after no-deal have to be contingent on conceeding the backstop. It is unlikely that the UK will be able to hold out for a protracted period in a no-deal brexit so hopefully the backstop will be agreed before the border becomes noticably disruptive on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

While I enjoyed Bettel introducing a dose of reality, I can't help but feel this was a tactical misstep. We all know Johnson and co. are preparing to play the blame game and no doubt the Brexiters will seize on this as evidence of the EU's unacceptable attitude. Even listening to Channel 4 news earlier they were talking about how Bettel was making the most of his moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

While I enjoyed Bettel introducing a dose of reality, I can't help but feel this was a tactical misstep. We all know Johnson and co. are preparing to play the blame game and no doubt the Brexiters will seize on this as evidence of the EU's unacceptable attitude. Even listening to Channel 4 news earlier they were talking about how Bettel was making the most of his moment.

It doesn't matter what the EU do, the goal is no deal and they will blame whoever they can .. the UK media are all owned not a discerning voice among them..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For literally years now when the UK mess up and the Irish or another government or the EU lets them get egg on their face, it is being portrayed by some as a poor move by said governments or institutions.

We saw t recently with Merkel and the '30 days' and was the same when Varadkar gave his Hercules and Athena speech and now again with Bettel.

Let the UK pontificate about unacceptable attitude, the sensible people will see this for what it is, an out of depth politician and Brexit strategy being found out and the bed which Brexiteers made for them selves being left for them to lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Who cares to be honest. For too long the EU and European leaders have been overly sensitive to the UK psychodrama. During May's multiple trips to the EU, it was constantly said that May needed to be 'given something to go back with'. She needed to be drip fed something to allow the UK to create a false narrative for their bizarre electorate. Always the same. Cameron demanded more and more concessions. Now Boris is going about to 'get something to bring home'. Well, no more free lunch. Maybe it is now time the UK 'bring something'.

• Advertisement

Seems a backlash against Kuenssburg and the BBC is deepening and becoming 'mainstream'.

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1173646862894735360

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭briany

For a short while until the UK comes to its senses.

I'm not so optimistic that'll ever happen. I mean, I hope it does, but I find it hard to envision right now. A lot of sh*t has been brought to bear with Brexit. Great reservoirs of public resentment and anger. It's difficult to quite understand how that's going to just be locked away again and resume things as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭briany

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Seems a backlash against Kuenssburg and the BBC is deepening and becoming 'mainstream'.

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1173646862894735360

As much as I'm loath to say this, I can see Boris's and Laura's point. It would be virtually impossible for him to hold a press conference and look statesmanlike when you have protesters chanting right in his face, and it completely nullifies all chances of the presser looking any way even-handed, before even a word is said. If Bettel had come to Britain, and had to do a presser with a loud group of Brexiteers chanting away only feet from him, would've he been enthusiastic?

That said, it was a dumb tweet to put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Anyone watching The Cameron Interview on ITV at this moment?

briany wrote: »
    As much as I'm loath to say this, I can see Boris's and Laura's point. It would be virtually impossible for him to hold a press conference and look statesmanlike when you have protesters chanting right in his face, and it completely nullifies all chances of the presser looking any way even-handed, before even a word is said. If Bettel had come to Britain, and had to do a presser with a loud group of Brexiteers chanting away only feet from him, would've he been enthusiastic?

If anything, it would (potentially) have reflected poorly on the EU (or Luxembourgers) were Boris to be heckled through a speech. He could have used that to appear (a) a victim or, (b) tough in facing it out under pressure.

Instead he wimped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

While I enjoyed Bettel introducing a dose of reality, I can't help but feel this was a tactical misstep. We all know Johnson and co. are preparing to play the blame game and no doubt the Brexiters will seize on this as evidence of the EU's unacceptable attitude.

After EU leaders laugh at the UKs proposals at the October summit, they will decide the length of the extension which the UK can ask for and send Johnson home to Westminster to be told to ask for it.

His humiliation in Dublin and now Luxembourg is nothing compared to what he'll get in Brussels and London.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

What did Johnson go there for today exactly ? Did he have anything to propose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,575 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems quite simple to me. They both knew what was going to be said at the presser.
    How ridiculous would it have looked if Boris was standing there saying negotiations were going well while Bettel was laying into him. It would have been a fiasco for Boris so he wimped out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seriously, if by any miracle UK does not leave the eu, would anyone want them sniping and giving out (Farage and others) ad infinitum? They will be a thorn in the side forever more given their superior stance and hubris lol.

I think the issue is over now. They should just go and leave us all alone. But I do realise their decision will impact us and many others, another sign of their cavalier attitude towards their neighbours. But so be it.

Clean break needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There wasn't these type of protests with May, so it is not a anti-Brexit thing. It is purely against Johnson, so you have to think why it is aimed against him personally. He has pursued the most damaging possible Brexit that will hurt us and the EU the most and he has misled the public by saying they are busy negotiating and sending proposals when all we hear from the EU is this isn't happening.

So if he wants to play games or pursue the most damaging exit from the EU, he should expect push back from both the EU and its citizens. The response from a journalist supposed to be impartial says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Anyone watching The Cameron Interview on ITV at this moment?

Caught the end of it. He can say sorry as many times as he likes, but he's never going to be politically detoxified. Never. I think he may have some bit of a point in terms of the reasons for calling the referendum - plenty of other moderate conservatives and other parties had been calling for it too - but it was everything after that where the horror began.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'm not so optimistic that'll ever happen.

A month after No Deal, a whole lot of people who don't care about Brexit are going to want to know why shelves are empty and they are queuing for petrol, why Honda, Nissan and airbus have laid everyone off, it costs a pound to buy a US dollar, they can't afford last years holiday and there are soldiers surrounding Westminster to protect it from its own people.

Caught the end of it. He can say sorry as many times as he likes, but he's never going to be politically detoxified. Never. I think he may have some bit of a point in terms of the reasons for calling the referendum - plenty of other moderate conservatives and other parties had been calling for it too - but it was everything after that where the horror began.

Will you purchase his book, because this is what it is all about. Cameron has been very silent up to now, but book launch, and all of a sudden he is verbose.

As if he needs the money either, but I think I read somewhere that the proceeds are to go to charity or something. I dunno if that's true though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: below standard posts deleted

Will you purchase his book, because this is what it is all about. Cameron has been very silent up to now, but book launch, and all of a sudden he is verbose.

As if he needs the money either, but I think I read somewhere that the proceeds are to go to charity or something. I dunno if that's true though.

Definitely wont purchase it, but will have a look when it becomes available in local library down the line. Obviously, he's on a book tour, but i would guess deep down a part of him will be thinking his political redemption has to start somewhere. Blair seems to have got there after how many years??

Edit: yes, definitely true about the charity.

• Advertisement

Oh and while I am on a roll, why are the commentators talking about a DEAL. They have one, it was rejected by Parliament, I don't get it.

So because the original Deal that was negotiated amongst all countries in EU and approved by them doesn't actually suit UK, they are talking about ANOTHER DEAL. NO, it is another negotiation for another deal. Start all over again. But nothing will satisfy them IMO now. So out they go and bloody good riddance.

Idiotic hubristic attitude is so evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What did Johnson go there for today exactly ? Did he have anything to propose ?

Seems to have just been a PR job / propaganda exercise by Johnson. He set up the meeting himself and wasn't invited there.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Imagine you had agreed a deal with someone to buy a car. The next day they came back and said, actually when I got home the wife said she doesnt agree so the deals off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Cameron's book is more about excusing himself from the whole Brexit mess when the sh!t really hits the fan in the UK. Getting his excuses in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

quokula wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1173607985911873542

The BBC really is nothing more than a Tory propoganda distributor these days.

I'm not a Boris Johnson fan, but maybe he had a point. It would have been chaotic if he had taken part with protestors there cheering the Luxembourg PM and probably booing him. No politician in their right mind would have taken part.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1173578797171560448

Not sure, but i imagine that comes from the cameron book.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not a Boris Johnson fan, but maybe he had a point. It would have been chaotic if he had taken part with protestors there cheering the Luxembourg PM and probably booing him. No politician in their right mind would have taken part.
    Like I said earlier, if he can't publicly defend the effect his policies will have, not only on his country but also in Europe, then he should not be in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But there was no onus on Bettel to cancel the press conference either. There were 140 journalists present, mostly international.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why not? Does he not believe in nor have confidence in his own words? It's his Brexit.

Where were all the ooomph and vigour and hulk like powers that we've all been told is needed to deliver Brexit?

Or is it that that's just all bluster to cover for ignorance and being deeply ill informed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Theresa May would have, and Thatcher would probably have relished it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement