Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

Akrasia wrote: »
    It's a really poor choice of words, but he wrote a book about this 11 years ago 'The New Age of Empires' where he explained that the era of a monopolar world is ending with the decline of US dominance and the rise of other economic and political powers like China, India, Brazil etc

He is arguing that for Europe to challenge and compete, we need to work more closely together as a federation. He's a federalist which is no secret to anyone who is paying attention, given that he helped found the spenelli group which is pushing for a federal Europe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinelli_Group but stupidly insists on using the word empire so that the conspiracy theorists can run with it and pretend that it's all a 'new world order' plot to take over the world

He'd want to be a lot more careful about his language though as the word is just so extremely loaded in this part of the world and in the anglosphere generally (probably due to the history of most of us having been controlled by an Empire in the not to distant past). I mean, even if you look at the use of the word "Empire" in sci-fi, it's absolutely never the good guys. It's always some fictional space autocracy led by Darth Vader, the Klingons, the Terran Empire.

Perhaps it doesn't carry the same loaded meaning in Belgium (although it probably should given their own history in Congo) but it is just an abysmal choice of words, particularly when speaking about issues that involve the relationship between the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Interesting the Lib Dems have committed to cancelling Brexit if they get a majority. They clearly wont get an overall majority, in the current electoral system in the UK. But they are obviously trying to outflank Labour on the remain side. Labours Brexit position is so unclear it could win the Lib Dems a lot of seats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It can't turn into a federalised superstate without our explicit approval so I don't really see the issue. It's pointless scaremongering.

In todays world, I don't seee any option. China and the US will eat smaller states, unless like Russia they are highly militarized. The EU will turn into a federal superstate for our protection.

Don't like it? Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The potential of what Dominic Cummings is trying to accomplish in real life makes The Thick Of It's Malcolm Tucker seem quite benevolent in comparison, though.

Yes. I started into that series recently as had a few people recommend it and never saw it at the time. It's pretty good but of its time IMO.
    The issues at stake and the childish manoeuvrings of the sweary Scot spin-doctor Tucker (assume taking a cut at Alastair Campbell) do seem quaint now set alongside the political meltdown the UK's been undergoing since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

You did. By saying we needed to challenge other empires.

Would you rather that we be at the mercy of other empires?
    In more practical, contemporary terms, Im not happy with the EU sitting in on G7 meetings. 4 EU Member States are G7 Members, so they dont need to be there, and the other 24 are not in G7.

Ultimately, I dont think the response to Brexit etc is to talk about the EU as a cohesive whole. The EU has shown great unanimity since Brexit started, but I dont think that should lead to calls for increased federalisation. If anything, I think the EU needs to cool off on things like introducing more Member States or talk of Empires etc

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it, personally I think the EU should continue to expand, be that physically or in terms of remit as and when there is a solid case for that expansion. I don't support expansion for the sake of expansion, nor do I support restriction for the sake of restriction. The EU, in my opinion has proven itself to be an effective and competant orgnaisation that delivers many benefits to its members. There is no reason not to make use of the EU and the benefits it provides where there is a case for the benefit of further integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You did. By saying we needed to challenge other empires:

Also, in your post asking where anyone said Europe should throw its weight around:

In more practical, contemporary terms, Im not happy with the EU sitting in on G7 meetings. 4 EU Member States are G7 Members, so they dont need to be there, and the other 24 are not in G7.

Ultimately, I dont think the response to Brexit etc is to talk about the EU as a cohesive whole. The EU has shown great unanimity since Brexit started, but I dont think that should lead to calls for increased federalisation. If anything, I think the EU needs to cool off on things like introducing more Member States or talk of Empires etc

Agree with this. It's hard to know where exactly we are in the global cycle of nationalism which in turn fueled Trump, Brexit and many right wing governments in Europe amongst others (Duterte and Bolsonaro for example). Are they just getting going? Or have we reached a point where again, societies will largely look for more collaborative and socially inclusive governments for their countries.

I hope that once Brexit has occurred (or been shelved) that we do not see moves to make it difficult for countries to leave (I don't think they made it difficult for the UK, I think the UK did that for itself with it's red lines and 'we'll call all the shots attitude') or to reduce the level of sovereignty which they have.

We, as a country, need time to focus internally again after the last couple of years.

I hope that once Brexit has occurred (or been shelved) that we do not see moves to make it difficult for countries to leave

I think we should make it much, much easier for countries to leave. Send in an A50 letter and you are out on the spot, f*ck right off, who needs you, no negotiations, no deals you are out on your ear.

Last we'll hear of A50 from anyone, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The EU will turn into a federal superstate for our protection.

Or it'll fail and collapse + we'll get the wonderful Eurosceptic vision of the disunited nation states of Europe all sniping at each other (hopefully just across meeting tables) and dredging up old conflicts.

There's no law of nature that says a bunch of weak European statelets can't be the new playthings of the great powers in the 21st century. A backwater sort of place where where they will vie for spheres of influence among the local yokels or if we're really unlucky (ala the middle east currently) test out their shiny new weapons and theories of warfare!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All this talk about the Luxembourg PM should have been more restrained, or Juncker shouldn't use a certain type of word is nonsense. At the present time the UK government is in court because there is a very high chance that they lied to their own queen and tried to ignore the rules and conventions of their own parliament.

If they are willing to go against their own parliament, their own MP's, their own Justices and justice system, and even the monarch herself, how the Luxembourg PM talks to them is not really the issue here.

Is saying that, I do think he should have simply said nothing was discussed, nothing on the table blah blah and left it at that. I get his frustration, but they are dealing with a tantrum child, one that gets its kicks from the attention of being shouted out gets them. They are interested in logic, they aren't looking for a compromise. Johnson is too busy fighting at home to be worried about the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Milosmith

Boris has a funny way of talking , his words don't mean anything

They're like rambling nursery rhymes

• Advertisement

I think we should make it much, much easier for countries to leave. Send in an A50 letter and you are out on the spot, f*ck right off, who needs you, no negotiations, no deals you are out on your ear.

It doesn't need to be made easier, in fact 2 years is quite restictive, hence the transition period.

Most countries do not have the issue of NI and the GFA. Couple that with the fact that the UK didn't want to leave the EU they just wanted it to revert back to the EEC.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    There's no law of nature that says the a bunch of weak European statelets can't be the new playthings of the great powers in the 21st century.

Precisely why a bunch of weak states are teamed up as the EU, and aren't going split up just because the UK has taken leave of its senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be made easier, in fact 2 years is quite restictive, hence the transition period.

I am proposing to make it less restrictive and hence easier. No 2 years, no 2 minutes - just ask and you are out on the spot. What could be easier than that?

The current "quite difficult actually" regime has encouraged the UK to vote Leave because campaigners could pretend a magical deal with Unicorns was possible.

So change that so that everyone knows nope - f*ck off out and join the back of the queue for a trade deal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Would you rather that we be at the mercy of other empires?

Well we arent at the moment and I dont see things changing. If any other country threatened an EU State, the others are obliged to come to assistance and there is also thr NATO committment. I dont think there is a compelling case for the EU to do any more than that, and Id be actively opposed to them trying to e.g. impose their views on the Middle East or South China Sea as the US is doing.
    That is your opinion and you are welcome to it, personally I think the EU should continue to expand, be that physically or in terms of remit as and when there is a solid case for that expansion. I don't support expansion for the sake of expansion, nor do I support restriction for the sake of restriction. The EU, in my opinion has proven itself to be an effective and competant orgnaisation that delivers many benefits to its members. There is no reason not to make use of the EU and the benefits it provides where there is a case for the benefit of further integration.

In principle, i.e. where it is to everyones clear benefit, I dont see any reason why the EU cant have new members. But in practise, we are seeing that they have gone further than some Member States feel comfortable with. A big problem for the UK is the money they pay, a lot of which is paid over to Poland etc for development. A laudible aim, no doubt, but one which the UK voters were unhappy with. Germany likewise is uneasy with its contribution to the EU budget to be paid over to Eastern European countries.

This doesnt mean its wrong in principle, just that the EU increased its membership too quickly and perhaps have too rigid criteria for joining.

If the purpose of the EU is to prevent war in Europe, then it needs to ensure it doesnt become the source of tension between member states. Brexit aside, the existing tensions within the EU need to be looked at before it increases its competencies or introduces new Member States. If it doesnt, it exposes itself to the risk of being politically overstretched.

Im concerned that the reaction to Brexiteers claiming that the EU is trying to become an empire results in senior EU politicians talking about a European Empire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I always find myself watching A Different Bias.
    I love Phil's wry and sarcastic take on Brexit, it gives me a tiny bit of reassurance that not all the Brits have taken leave of their senses.
    He has a few interesting points on "that" press conference.
    My own theory, Boris didn't fancy it and threw a tantrum, nothing more. Of course the spam and troll bots are desperately trying to twist it into something else, some kind of ambush on Boris, that he bravely avoided, but nobody is buying that sh*t. You'd have to be daft to believe it was anything other than Boris throwing a wobbler.
    If someone complains that he was humiliated, yes, by himself and nobody else. Disagree?
    You're wrong. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thargor wrote: »
    Pretty embarrassing for Jo Swinson at the start of her revoke A50 campaign:

Lib Dems went rather overboard in opposing Lisbon (it was entirely possible to be against it and still go for an inside-pissing-out approach).

She was the wrong person to pick as leader particularly as she'll lose her seat to the SNP again unless she can get them to not run against her. Liability.

Although I'm not sure Davey was much better, bar probably keeping his seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Isn't that tempting us to "fly to others that we know not of" ?

Something you absolutely shouldn't.

"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" /Mat 6:13

Lars :)

The current "quite difficult actually" regime has encouraged the UK to vote Leave because campaigners could pretend a magical deal with Unicorns was possible.

I really don't think it made any difference. Facts were not the problem it was the people weren't listening. I remember listening to some interview or Podcast prior to the vote, where some professor of Law was summarising the issues of trying to sort out the complex interlinked laws and how long it would take. I don't recall exactly, but he said it would take years.

Nothing to do with trade EU citizens, NI. Just to sort of the law in the UK would take ages. But people didn't vote on that. And even now, No Deal is seen as a minor bump in the road, before the real negotiations can begin. That everything, it appears to me form what I have heard/read, will continue on as now, except that the UK will save on memberships fees.

If anything the 2 year timeframe is too short. 10 years. Notify A50 and 10 years later you can leave. This isn't a golf club, other countries have modified their systems on the basis on each other country, as we are seeing it causes a major headache to change the system.

It can't turn into a federalised superstate without our explicit approval so I don't really see the issue. It's pointless scaremongering.
    How many referendums do you think it will need to get that approval (the correct answer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure I'd have much concern with a federal superstate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How many referendums do you think it will need to get that approval (the correct answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

L1011 wrote: »

She was the wrong person to pick as leader particularly as she'll lose her seat to the SNP again unless she can get them to not run against her. Liability.

So certain are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

The UK has had 2 so far (I think) how many do you want them to have

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So certain are you ?

I'd bet a tenner on it...

I suspect the SNP will be 58 or 59/59 - that last Lib Dem islands seat could be impossible to shift - at the next election. Rennie appears to be useless from a non-Scottish viewpoint, Dugdale's replacement is anonymous and the Tories are dead up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Well we arent at the moment and I dont see things changing.

Indeed not, evidence if evidence were needed that the integrated European approch has served its purpose and allowed the small nations of Europe to challenge the other global powers instead of being pushed around by them.
    If any other country threatened an EU State, the others are obliged to come to assistance and there is also thr NATO committment. I dont think there is a compelling case for the EU to do any more than that, and Id be actively opposed to them trying to e.g. impose their views on the Middle East or South China Sea as the US is doing.

The military aspect is a seperate issue and one that I don't really want to get bogged down in. Personally I would favour military integration at a European level only in a very limited and gradual sence.

That said there is a lot that could and probably should be done. NATO is only as useful as US commitment to defending Europe, I think it is clear that it would be short sighted to be complacent on that front. Its unlikely that the US will put European interests ahead of its own and US and EU interests will not always be aligned. While there is a commitment to mutual assistance in the face of agression within the EU, I think there is a very strong argument to be made that European defence beyond NATO is far from what it could be and that there is a lot that could be gained from closer cooperation. Simply in the areas of supply chains, inter-army training and more integrated defence R&D much greater bang could be got for our existing at a European level through more cooperation. There is chronic duplication and waste as things stand. Issues like that could be addressed and would be of benefit to members, long and ever before the prospect of an EU Army became a realistic proposal.

As for the EU trying to impose its will on other regions of the world through military means, I agree, totally opposed.

Im concerned that the reaction to Brexiteers claiming that the EU is trying to become an empire results in senior EU politicians talking about a European Empire

They were talking about a federal Europe long before Brexit became a credible issue, and yes those that favour a more federalised EU may seek to use Brexit to push for further integration but I say let them. Lets hear the case and make our minds up if we agree or not, ultimatly they wont get what they want unless they can convince the member states, and in our case the electorate, as to the merit of their arguments.

Personally, I think that there is merit to the argument that many of the valid issued people bring up as criticisms of the EU do not stem from too much EU, but rather too little. Lack of progress on issues like fiscal integration or immigration are not due to an EU that has become too powerful but member states who have been holding those issues back for their own individual interests (we ourselves could be accused of the same on the issue of tax harmonisation). The criticism is valid in many cases, but the fault often lies not with the EU but rather with the member states, and less EU would make it worse not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You are saying this country should consider giving up it's national independence.

Ok.

What was it all for then? We may as well have remained in the United Kingdom.

I think it would cause very serious trouble and not only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I am proposing to make it less restrictive and hence easier. No 2 years, no 2 minutes - just ask and you are out on the spot. What could be easier than that?

So change that so that everyone knows nope - f*ck off out and join the back of the queue for a trade deal.

NI is the only thing making it difficult. Other countries without such problematic regions would have little issues withdrawing quickly should they want to. it would still be a total mess for them but it would be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Speaking of the Lib Dems embarassing themselves, has anyone seen that video of them singing 'Tony Blair fuçk off and die".

Absolutely bizarre and shocking to be honest. How adults - politicians no less - could think it ok to gather together and sing that is beyond me. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement

You are saying this country should consider giving up it's national independence..
    Yes. Who cares about Idaho or Rhode Island? They are only dots on a map like Luxembourg or Ireland.

But the EU and the USA are world players, and if we are not a world player we will be a casualty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement