Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Enzokk wrote: »
    The Supreme Court case is hearing argument again, the Government representative is much better this morning than Lord Keen last night in his presentation at least. He sounds calm and in control and not like he isn't in control, which Lord Keen seemed to be yesterday afternoon. As GM228 noted there are a lot of arguments and valid ones that the UK government is providing. On whether the courts should intervene the argument does seem to be that it is up to parliament to act and not need for the courts.

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1174277996661944320?s=20

The question then is how does parliament act if it has very little time or it is prorogued? This is a question that is obviously on the minds of the justices as well. His answer seemed to be parliament needs to act in time before or by calling a VONC when they come back.

Along the lines of someone dropping a brick from a bridge onto a train. The train driver (parliament) had the option of putting the brakes on and it's not the governments fault that they were hiding on the bridge with a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Akrasia wrote: »
    So the Solution to the parliament being shut down to prevent them from stopping the horse from bolting, is to tell them that they can always shut the stable door later on when the horse is long gone.

This is why the Supreme court needs to rule against the government on this matter. If they accept the argument that the prime minister can shut down parliament on a whim and cannot be challenged by anyone except a parliament that has been shut down, it's a ludicrous state of affairs that could by abused by anyone tyrannical enough to dispose of the democratic institutions to push through their own personal agenda.

Exactly. From my understanding, if the government were to win the case then effectively there is nothing to stop any PM from simply prorouging parliament on the 1st day of session until 5 years is up.

Of course many will say it could never happen, but the problem is (as I heard on a podcast) that the UK is governed by rules that were based on everyone behaving like gentlemen. Trump has shown that even a written constitution is not a full protection against someone who willfully rejects the conventions.

These things should be written into law. If it really is necessary to prorouge before a queens speech, and if it really is necessary to have a queens speech then formalise the whole thing. State the length of time, when for what reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The Boris Johnson tour of the UK is going well, he went to a hospital and as you can imagine it turned out not too great for him.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1174293865471324161?s=20

The person confronting him is the parent of a sick child in hospital. He then has the audacity to try and tell him it is not a press opportunity as there is no press there, as you hear the clicking of camera's and the video is being taken.
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Exactly. From my understanding, if the government were to win the case then effectively there is nothing to stop any PM from simply prorouging parliament on the 1st day of session until 5 years is up.

Of course many will say it could never happen, but the problem is (as I heard on a podcast) that the UK is governed by rules that were based on everyone behaving like gentlemen. Trump has shown that even a written constitution is not a full protection against someone who willfully rejects the conventions.

These things should be written into law. If it really is necessary to prorouge before a queens speech, and if it really is necessary to have a queens speech then formalise the whole thing. State the length of time, when for what reasons.

Parliament would have to sit for one week a year to pass the Finance and Army legislation. Once they're done, MPs can be on hols for 51 weeks of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Boris Johnson tour of the UK is going well, he went to a hospital and as you can imagine it turned out not too great for him.

The person confronting him is the parent of a sick child in hospital. He then has the audacity to try and tell him it is not a press opportunity as there is no press there, as you hear the clicking of camera's and the video is being taken.

you can see the handlers were desperate to put that man back in his box

disgusting propaganda seeking cretins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don’t see the issue with Corbyn saying, essentially- our party is split on this issue, so we’re going to formulate a credible leave option and put it to the people, with the option to remain. He will be vilified no matter what he does at this point. Brexiters think he’s a Remainer and Remainers think he’s a Brexiter.

I agree that Brexit is completely stupid and there is an argument that he should campaign for what he believes (whatever that might be), but I believe there has to be a version of Brexit presented to the people, at this point. “This is what it looks like- do you want to do this, yes or no?” What’s wrong with that?

Jo Swinson’s policy is anathema to me. In the last week I think I’ve decided that if I still lived in the UK, I’d have gone from voting Lib Dem to Labour. Yes, a moot point, as this is a hypothetical vote :D I also checked out her voting record and found it abysmal. Never mind her pushing for a referendum in 2008. I think I thought that I’d be able to move on from the Lib Dem coalition with the Tories, and focus on the fact that they’re a Remain party- but I don’t agree with revoking article 50 without a public vote, and I think she’s just a yellow Tory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭briany

Shelga wrote: »
    I don’t see the issue with Corbyn saying, essentially- our party is split on this issue, so we’re going to formulate a credible leave option and put it to the people, with the option to remain. He will be vilified no matter what he does at this point. Brexiters think he’s a Remainer and Remainers think he’s a Brexiter.

I agree that Brexit is completely stupid and there is an argument that he should campaign for what he believes (whatever that might be), but I believe there has to be a version of Brexit presented to the people, at this point. “This is what it looks like- do you want to do this, yes or no?” What’s wrong with that?

As JRM let slip the other week, people would probably vote Remain if it were presented again. Therefore a second referendum must be resisted at all costs.

But I think that voting to Remain wouldn't solve anything for the UK. The genie's out of the bottle. It's amazing political capital for someone like Nigel Farage, and if there's a Remain vote, his party will end up nicking seats off of LAB and CON, and he'll be the leader of a new 3rd party in the Commons. We'll all end up having to get ready for Brexit pt. II in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

lawred2 wrote: »
    you can see the handlers were desperate to put that man back in his box

To be fair, I think the two people with Bojo were hospital staff - the woman on the left appears to be a nurse. Raised (adult) voices in a childrens' hospital are usually not appreciated.

Having said that, there does appear to be a shortage of actual handlers there. Perhaps they are trying to show that Boris is not running scared of the press (at least in a controlled environment)?

disgusting propaganda seeking cretins
    Couldn't disagree with that bit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well the FTPA has removed the option of a sudden snap election - it now needs a 2/3 rds majority for it. The SC could rule that a prorogue can only be put in place be a HoC motion to that effect where the duration is clearly defined.

They did this for Art 50, so why not this matter? Parliament must not be silenced by the executive.

• Advertisement

That is just bizarre. Also, I'm seeing more and more relevant Orwell quotes being posted online lately which is never a good thing.

BoJo, from the Incredible Hulk to this in the space of a few days...

##Mod Snip##

No Memes please

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

robinph wrote: »
    Along the lines of someone dropping a brick from a bridge onto a train. The train driver (parliament) had the option of putting the brakes on and it's not the governments fault that they were hiding on the bridge with a brick.

I'd put it more like a train trying to cross a bridge which is just about to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1174318249460281346

Laura Kuenssberg with some award winning investigative journalism here. She is been torn apart in the the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Laura Kuenssberg with some award winning investigative journalism here.

Her follow up is even worse

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1174318564397985793?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yikes. Kuenssberg is way out of line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fionn1952 wrote: »

Well...she gave Johnson a very hard time in an interview last week. Also, here is her original tweet on the hospital encounter:

Another very, very awkward encounter for PM - taken to task by a parent on a children’s ward in London where he says repeatedly the ‘NHS has been destroyed’ - Johnson like rabbit in headlights

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If he had gone there specifically to confront the PM with no other reason to be at the hospital then yeah i could see how him being a labour activist is relevant but the fact his 7 year old daughter is being treated at a hospital Johnson rocked up to for a photo op completely negates his role as an activist and anyone trying to egg the online nutjobs into bullying and harassing him and his family like Laura K is doing is a fvcking disgrace of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Will Johnson stick at it much longer? He has had a kicking virtually every day he's been PM, and HOC hasn't even been sitting for the majority of that time.

I can't help but think his natural inclination do drop everything and walk away whistling must be screaming internally. It's hardwired into his DNA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You then see people criticise him on twitter for using his daughter being in hospital for political gain.

WTF did they think Johnson was doing at a children's hospital if not to use the images of sick children for political gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Surely the BBC will have to consider her position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

murphaph wrote: »

It makes her sound like a member of the Brexit Party or UKIP. The guy's daughter is sick in hospital.

robinph wrote: »

I'd put it more like a train trying to cross a bridge which is just about to collapse.
    Only if Boris was hidden behind a nearby tree with his hand on the detonator for the explosives on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nothing will come of it. Although they should dump her and get Faisal to replace her instead. God only knows what he is doing there, I've hardly seen him at all since his switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

She doesn't help her image of being biased at all with this tweet, she has more than 1 million followers and directed them all to him. Why would she do that? What journalistic purpose is there for her followers to know who he is without context, just a "there he is guys", not a message to his daughter to get better even.

Well...she gave Johnson a very hard time in an interview last week. Also, here is her original tweet on the hospital encounter:

Another very, very awkward encounter for PM - taken to task by a parent on a children’s ward in London where he says repeatedly the ‘NHS has been destroyed’ - Johnson like rabbit in headlights

She is following the Andrew Neill book then I suppose, right wing but fair in interviews. Will use her personal social media accounts to do her attack work but get to keep her job as one of the most influential journalists out there.

VinLieger wrote: »
    If he had gone there specifically to confront the PM with no other reason to be at the hospital then yeah i could see how him being a labour activist is relevant but the fact his 7 year old daughter is being treated at a hospital Johnson rocked up to for a photo op completely negates his role as an activist and anyone trying to egg the online nutjobs into bullying and harassing him and his family like Laura K is doing is a fvcking disgrace of a human being.

According to his tweet she is 7 days old, not 7 years. Either way we are now debating Laura Kuenssberg instead of Johnson lying in front of a member of the public when the evidence is a few feet away. That is how far the rabbit hole with Johnson we have gone, he lies so casually all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Right, so according to UK press, you're not entitled to report suspected domestic violence if you're 'lefty' or visit your own sick child in Hospital if you happen to be a labour supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fionn1952 wrote: »

Laura Kuenssberg with some award winning investigative journalism here.

Her follow up is even worse

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1174318564397985793?s=19
    I was just coming to post about this carry on. I mean I used to be a big listener to the brexicast and at times still do but the last while I've not been. It's been mostly because of Laura kuenssberg and to a lesser degree katya Adler. I mean the guy has a week old child who is in hospital and just happened to meet boris Johnson. I couldn't give a contental **** what a persons political affiliation is when it comes to the health of my family. I reported both tweets and I know it's unlikely but for the second tweet alone she should get a talking to from the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Akrasia wrote: »
    Right, so according to UK press, you're not entitled to report suspected domestic violence if you're 'lefty' or visit your own sick child in Hospital if you happen to be a labour supporter

Given that there are only two big parties in England, it's a bit of a joke to reference the fact that the man is affiliated to the main opposition party. What on earth is she thinking?

She made him sound like a far right neo-Nazi who has done time in prison or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The UK media by and large loves Johnson. Here's Peston a few weeks ago fawning over him:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1165326596909256710

Notice too whenever you listen to the main channels how often he is described by his first name, as if he's their pal. I don't recall hearing 'Theresa', 'Gordon', 'Tony' etc when they were PM.

The Observer's Nick Cohen made this point a few months back:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1138391939756232705

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

The whole Kuenssberg/Johnson relationship seems too cosy. She always seems to get the important and indepth interviews while in return not giving him any pressing or difficult questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement