Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭briany

prunudo wrote: »
    The whole Kuenssberg/Johnson relationship seems too cosy. She always seems to get the important and indepth interviews while in return not giving him any pressing or difficult questions.

Jeremy Paxman is someone who says he wants the Brexit vote respected, but he's still someone who knows a complete spoofer when he hears one and will call them out, even if he otherwise fundamentally agrees with their political position. That's the kind of broadcaster you want to see grilling Johnson, but the kind that Johnson will stridently avoid, because he knows damn well how fragile his rhetoric is. Even Andrew Neil made Boris look a fool a few weeks ago, and his approach is much gentler.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Laura kuenssberg is getting a rough time of it on twitter. I see Beth rigby got the tone right with her tweet but did mention he was a labour activist(again imo when it comes to your family and if they are hospital politics and religion mean **** all and aren't relevant) but the main trust of her tweet got the point of the guys frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The whole Kuenssberg/Johnson relationship seems too cosy. She always seems to get the important and indepth interviews while in return not giving him any pressing or difficult questions.

I reckon she will be removed sooner rather than later because it's becoming as clear as day and a lot of people are saying now that relationship is too close.

Can't be an objective journalist in that situation.

She's hardly a "journalist" anyway.

She just reports gossip from others. She never ever breaks any stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Katya Adler taking flak for the way she has just interviewed PM Bettel on BBC News. 'Why aren't you as rude with Johnson?' is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1174243026912366594

Verhofstadt not holding back...he is dead right as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1174243026912366594

Verhofstadt not holding back...he is dead right as well.

Well technically speaking the Brexit party couldn't make noise in Westminster even if it was open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gotta love Guy, that was a brilliant speech
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Well technically speaking the Brexit party couldn't make noise in Westminster either even if it was open

He says that in the video ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's not true at all. She interviewed Johnson last week and asked him very difficult questions, some of which she repeated if she wasn't happy with the answer. In fact, when he tried his 'affable charm' with her, she broke eye contact and challenged his answer in a dismissive way. At times, she was simply rude when he waffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Taoiseach states he won't support the return of direct rule in NI - trying to turn the screw on the backstop?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49743816

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's not true at all. She interviewed Johnson last week and asked him very difficult questions, some of which she repeated if she wasn't happy with the answer. In fact, when he tried his 'affable charm' with her, she broke eye contact and challenged his answer in a dismissive way. At times, she was simply rude when he waffled.

Missed that one, maybe its the way they have been edited but any interaction between the pair that I've seen is far too cosy.

• Advertisement

Missed that one, maybe its the way they have been edited but any interaction between the pair that I've seen is far too cosy.

Maybe they have. That's the only one on one interview I've seen them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I watched the one in June and she brought up all his previous comments which have caused anger mainly on Muslim women, his "work" with the lass in captivity in Iran, those awful staged photos in the race with Hunt and his Heathrow comments which he backtracked on. He clearly gets pissed of towards the end. It was a pretty brutal few minutes for him.

Can you link me to the chummy ones they have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I reckon she will be removed sooner rather than later because it's becoming as clear as day and a lot of people are saying now that relationship is too close.

Can't be an objective journalist in that situation.

She's hardly a "journalist" anyway.

She just reports gossip from others. She never ever breaks any stories.

Her style is to give both sides of the story. I think there is a time and place for this type of reporting, but this is not it. Its rubbish like this that allows a climate change denier the same airtime as a scientist, because there are two side to the story. Rubbish, sometimes there is just one.

Do you have the context of this?

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1112815884085555200?s=20

This seems very cosy to me, you will notice she is drinking a coffee and smoking a cigarette (I think) as well so it is not on the record. If this is the way she talks to him when they are not working, I see a lot of problems with that. That is a chat between friends about their day at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

She did a documentary on the brexit campaign a few months back so I'd assume that clip is taken from it.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Her style is to give both sides of the story. I think there is a time and place for this type of reporting, but this is not it. Its rubbish like this that allows a climate change denier the same airtime as a scientist, because there are two side to the story. Rubbish, sometimes there is just one.

Do you have the context of this?

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1112815884085555200?s=20

This seems very cosy to me, you will notice she is drinking a coffee and smoking a cigarette (I think) as well so it is not on the record. If this is the way she talks to him when they are not working, I see a lot of problems with that. That is a chat between friends about their day at work.

Well that's a 30 second clip (probably taken out of whatever context) from April 1st. It could be argued that she is trying to keep him onside but it's too short to judge. Here's the interview I mentioned. It and Rjd2's interview above certainly don't make her seem like she's giving him an easy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

The UK media by and large loves Johnson. Here's Peston a few weeks ago fawning over him:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1165326596909256710

Notice too whenever you listen to the main channels how often he is described by his first name, as if he's their pal. I don't recall hearing 'Theresa', 'Gordon', 'Tony' etc when they were PM.

The Observer's Nick Cohen made this point a few months back:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1138391939756232705

Yes, but John Oliver skewered 'Boris' persona on his show back in June, especially if you flick forward to about 13 minutes to see how Johnson knows exactly how to play act to the press to get them onside. Oliver then proceeds to show why it's not working on an international level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

She did a documentary on the brexit campaign a few months back so I'd assume that clip is taken from it.
    Well that's a 30 second clip (probably taken out of whatever context) from April 1st. It could be argued that she is trying to keep him onside but it's too short to judge. Here's the interview I mentioned. It and Rjd2's interview above certainly don't make her seem like she's giving him an easy time.

I know, I haven't watched the program so I am not sure about the context and hence my question. It is on Youtube so I will have a look at it and see what it is like in the context of the whole program.

The clip is taken from this - The Brexit Storm: Laura Kuenssberg’s Inside Story which the bbc screened earlier this year. It was basically a compendium of stuff from the campaign over a one year period so was compiled mostly with off the record/previously unscreened/unscripted bits of footage. Wouldnt read a lot into it. It's an issue for every news or any kind of journalist really, when you are dealing day in day out with politicians, it's going to be impossible not to have some sort of relatioinship with them, especially when you are so reliant on contacts/sources for inside knowledge. It's a balancing act and you just have to remain very professional in how you deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So we are in a bit of a hiatus here right now, and wondering what to talk about next.

Seems to me that UK is not that engaged either, they either think stay, or GO NOW and get it over with it, not realising that that Leaving with No Deal is the start of another very painful process for those hubristic idiots. Sorry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The issue I is her alerting people to his social media account. Surely that's not something a journalist should be doing regardless of what party affiliations a person has.

• Advertisement

Enzokk wrote: »
    I know, I haven't watched the program so I am not sure about the context and hence my question. It is on Youtube so I will have a look at it and see what it is like in the context of the whole program.

Ok, i didnt see your post. I did watch that when it was screened and remember being very underwhelmed and not getting a lot out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I don't think that clip does Boris any favors either. He looks exasperated, disheveled and slouched. Their is none of his humor or his bombastic spirit.

I'd be annoyed if I was Boris that Laura put that online, its a bit of a meme now that brief interview isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So we are in a bit of a hiatus here right now, and wondering what to talk about next.

Not at all, I thought things were going quiet until the EU summit on 17th October, but instead we have had nonstop fireworks at the UKs Supreme Court!

The Government took a kicking at the outset, but then recovered somewhat.

I still think they will lose.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I don't think that clip does Boris any favors either. He looks exasperated, disheveled and slouched. Their is none of his humor or his bombastic spirit.

I'd be annoyed if I was Boris that Laura put that online, its a bit of a meme now that brief interview isn't it?

In the interview that I linked to, if you stop it at any stage and look at him, he's aged about 10 years in the past two months.

Johnson given a two week deadline from Macron and Rinne (Finland has the presidency currently) to come up with a plan. Proper order. Johnson's big wheeze was to prevaricate and deflect until the very last minute and then dump his plan on the table hoping to force the EU to accept.

Johnson's big wheeze was to prevaricate and deflect until the very last minute and then dump his plan on the table hoping to force the EU to accept.

I don't think he is any sort of genius, but he can't be that thick. It has to be just nonsense to distract from his real plan which is No Deal (Not My Fault).

That is also a really, really stupid plan, whether it succeeds or not, but it's not as stupid as drinking the Brexiteers koolaid and imagining the EU is going to blink.

I don't think he is any sort of genius, but he can't be that thick. It has to be just nonsense to distract from his real plan which is No Deal (Not My Fault).

That is also a really, really stupid plan, whether it succeeds or not, but it's not as stupid as drinking the Brexiteers koolaid and imagining the EU is going to blink.
    Well, everyone knows the EU always caves. He's painted himself into a corner with his rhetoric. Full-throated oomph, bulldog spirit, boosterism, yadda yadda. You know you're losing when May starts looking more statesmanlike. Mind you, he's still miles ahead of Corbyn in the polls though, which tells you all you need to know about Corbyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Foster's speech to the Dublin Chamber of Commerce seems to be mainly backing Johnson's SPS plan rather than saying anything new - open to NI-specific solutions to protect supply chains, but remains opposed to either version of the backstop, or a customs union:

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/unique-history-and-geography-dup-leader-arlene-foster-opens-door-to-northonly-solutions-in-brexit-deal-38512138.html

Foster's speech to the Dublin Chamber of Commerce seems to bel

Irrelevant now - Johnson doesn't have a majority even with the votes the Tories bought from the DUP. Foster is just keeping up appearances in case Johnson lasts long enough to pay his tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Johnson is not looking for a new deal from the EU (although may revert to NI only backstop).

His whole plan is to get a deal through HoC, that is what all the bluster and threats are about. Proroging is about reducing the time that MPs have to waste not arriving at any consensus. He will try to force through the plan with little or no debate.

Parliament back on 14th, queens speech, days debate. EU will only pass if the HoC already has so it has to be done by 18th so Johnson can deliver to EU on 19th.

That's is his one and only plan. There is,IMO, no plan B. If it fails I honestly think they have no idea what comes next. They have placed everything on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement