Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Johnson is not looking for a new deal from the EU (although may revert to NI only backstop).

His whole plan is to get a deal through HoC, that is what all the bluster and threats are about. Proroging is about reducing the time that MPs have to waste not arriving at any consensus. He will try to force through the plan with little or no debate.

Parliament back on 14th, queens speech, days debate. EU will only pass if the HoC already has so it has to be done by 18th so Johnson can deliver to EU on 19th.

I wonder will Johnson present the HoC with a fantisy version of the deal which has not been approved by the EU taskforce, hope it passes through Westminster and then try to force the EU to sign up to it to avoid no-deal. If the EU refuses then he can blame them for failing to ratify a deal that the HoC had approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Mind you, he's still miles ahead of Corbyn in the polls though, which tells you all you need to know about Corbyn.

It tells you all you need to know about the British electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The big DUP row back has begun.

They are talking about special status for the north now.

Seems like damage limitation exercise for the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Seems like damage limitation exercise for the inevitable.

I hope the British media highlight what a thorn in the side the DUP have been throughout this whole process. Regardless of your viewpoint on Brexit, a reasonable compromise could have been reached two years ago without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And Corbyn. Leaders need to inspire. At that, Corbyn is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    I wonder will Johnson present the HoC with a fantisy version of the deal which has not been approved by the EU taskforce, hope it passes through Westminster and then try to force the EU to sign up to it to avoid no-deal. If the EU refuses then he can blame them for failing to ratify a deal that the HoC had approved.

I'm fairly sure the EU would flag that to MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

What I thought really showed the British media up was no-one appeared to speak to the protesters in Luxemburg.

They were all too happy with their story of Europe being rude or humiliating their prime minister.

Imagine if some actual journalists interviewed these people to find some/all were British people living in Eu that and were disgusted at how their government was dealing with their future in Europe. If that was the case it would have had a very different slant, possibly one that no-one in British media seems inteterested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not at all, I thought things were going quiet until the EU summit on 17th October, but instead we have had nonstop fireworks at the UKs Supreme Court!

The Government took a kicking at the outset, but then recovered somewhat.

I still think they will lose.

In fairness the SC hearing is something to keep an eye on, but they are just posturing. I hope they knock it out the pass. But sure who knows now.

Word on the street is, if SC says it was ok to prorogue, well.... it could be done at any time, ad infinitum going forward. That is mad IMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    I hope the British media highlight what a thorn in the side the DUP have been throughout this whole process. Regardless of your viewpoint on Brexit, a reasonable compromise could have been reached two years ago without them.

DUP might actually cause No Deal Brexit

Would it bother Arlene and co?
    Doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

On a visit to Dublin on Wednesday, Ms Foster signalled her openness to particular Brexit solutions that acknowledge the “unique history and geography” of Ireland - as long as they respect the constitutional position of the North within the UK.

Agreed. It does look very much like a row back from the DUP. This is very un-DUP like sentiments. Publicly stating the "unique history and geography” with the Republic is a change (for the better).

Looks like it has finally dawned on Arlene that NI is a wee bit different to the other parts of her United Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DUP might actually cause No Deal Brexit

Would it bother Arlene and co?
    Doubtful

They would be over the moon as it effectively puts a border between the North and South. A huge back step to unification in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

maebee wrote: »
    On a visit to Dublin on Wednesday, Ms Foster signalled her openness to particular Brexit solutions that acknowledge the “unique history and geography” of Ireland - as long as they respect the constitutional position of the North within the UK.

Agreed. It does look very much like a row back from the DUP. This is very un-DUP like sentiments. Publicly stating the "unique history and geography” with the Republic is a change (for the better).

Looks like it has finally dawned on Arlene that NI is a wee bit different to the other parts of her United Kingdom.

forgive me here but what a bunch of time wasting tw@ts

it's very possible that this would have been done and dusted without Arlene's 'timely' intervention when TM was in Brussels..

and we've circled the drain for two years while those short thinking witless clowns wrapped themselves in flags for them to do the predictable to all about turn when they finally realized there was no more room in the little corner they'd boxed themselves into for themselves and their flegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I can understand why some Protestant farmers voted for Brexit; it’s the sort of tribal groupthink we have often indulged in on our side of the fence. In any such matter, I would urge people to look to their own financial situation first because nobody else really gives a fig.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Taoiseach has held a meeting with Arlene Foster this evening, I doubt it would have been held if there wasn't some movement behind the scenes.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1174437235183280129

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1174427356854984704
    BBC defending Kuenssberg. Nothing to see here seems to be their attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If it fails I honestly think they have no idea what comes next. They have placed everything on this.

If it fails, the opposition have already passed a law saying he must ask for an extension, so he will do that, not his fault, traitor remaoner backstab etc.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    it passes through Westminster and then try to force the EU to sign up to it to avoid no-deal. If the EU refuses then he can blame them for failing to ratify a deal that the HoC had approved.

He might imagine the EU is that stupid, but I don't think he can imagine Parliament is after the kicking they've administered recently.

I reckon Boris has had a word with Arlene that the bus is coming and they'll have to put on a brave face and sell it to the DUP grass roots.

I have zero doubt he will abandon them as the path of least resistance and they know that.

Ed Milliband reached the depths of Corbyn's horrific unpopularity after the national security scandal where he mis-ate a sandwich.

The billionaire controlled British newspapers might possibly be somehow responsible.

I reckon Boris has had a word with Arlene that the bus is coming and they'll have to put on a brave face and sell it to the DUP grass roots.

Your faith that Johnson has some sort of idea what's going on is touching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not convinced the DUP are shifting their stance. I think it's more likely they sense there will be a backlash coming against them in an inevitable election for being unreasonable, and so they want to be able to say to the electorate, "but we were reasonable. Arlene Foster even met with the Taoiseach at an event in Dublin. But we made it clear the constitutional position of NI couldn't be affected", yadda, yadda, yadda.

I think it's all optics. Whatever solution ends up being created to solve this mess, I'd be astonished if it occurs with DUP cooperation. I suspect, much like with the Anglo-Irish Agreement and GFA, it will happen with them outside, howling about betrayal.

I doubt it would have been held if there wasn't some movement behind the scenes.

Why?

Of course Varadkar will meet them if they ask, but there is no reason to suppose there is any real movement behind the scenes, especially from, of all people, the DUP.

Your faith that Johnson has some sort of idea what's going on is touching.

The FT reported today he is well aware now after meeting Barnier.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headshot wrote: »
    They would be over the moon as it effectively puts a border between the North and South. A huge back step to unification in their eyes.
    It would also mean an end to that dreadful GFA and it's ambitions to give equality to non-unionists.

The FT reported today he is well aware now after meeting Barnier.

Not sure if you are serious. If joking, ha ha, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

She should have been sacked along with Adler for being **** a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Some reaction to Laura Kuenssberg and her tweets,

https://twitter.com/drphiliplee1/status/1174336409496379392?s=20

And then to point out that this was a PR exercise for Johnson and he tried to deny it,

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1174324138590253066?s=20

I guess the strategy worked, we are talking about her tweets rather than the serial liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im amazed they issued a statement. If I was them, would have keep schtum. Heaps pressure on Kuenssburg. The dreaded 'vote of confidence'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Well, everyone knows the EU always caves. He's painted himself into a corner with his rhetoric. Full-throated oomph, bulldog spirit, boosterism, yadda yadda. You know you're losing when May starts looking more statesmanlike. Mind you, he's still miles ahead of Corbyn in the polls though, which tells you all you need to know about Corbyn.

The fault isn't with Corbyn despite his flaws, it's with the British electorate itself. If the monumental mess and clown show that UK politics has turned into, which has even got worse since Boris became leader, isn't enough to sway voters, what possibly is? Do you actually think there's any member of the Labour party who would poll better, if given the current scenario they still choose Conservative. What could possibly change these voters minds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I have zero doubt he will abandon them as the path of least resistance and they know that.

This

I'll never know why the DUP thought there would be any other outcome.

But then as a moderate Unionist from NI I'll never understand why on earth the DUP ever thought Brexit would be a good idea.

It's bad economically for Northern Ireland, anyone could see that. It's bad politically for Northern Ireland in terms of the tensions it will cause and as for the impact on the Union...WTF were they thinking? The GFA should have secured Northern Ireland in the UK for at least 50-100 years, if not forever...Brexit could make a United Ireland almost inevitable in the next 25 years. Pre referendum support for a UI was below 25%, people were content with the compromise, now Nationalists are agitated again and even some Unionists are starting to wonder what the future holds. What the hell went in whatever strategy meeting the DUP leadership had to determine which side to back in the Referendum?

The DUP have done more damage to the Union in 3 years than the PIRA managed in 40 years of the Troubles.

How Arlene Foster is still their leader is just baffling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement