Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It would happily stab you in the back if it felt that it was in its interest.

Who's "it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

It's always important to remember that " the needs of the many will outweigh the needs of the few" and in this context to maintain the single market on Mainland EU, it is easier to have the customs border along the English channel, than in the Irish sea.

In the event of a no deal or a bad deal (for the EU), they would have no qualms in imposing such a border to "protect" the EU, in reality all crossing points are checkpoints now as the movement of everything through them are already controlled to some extent.

I just cant see that happening; if the EU did that they would have just demonstrated to every small and medium sized member that if an external state begins agitating and targeting any specific member state, that the EU will capitulate and abandon that member to make the external state happy, in effect destroying the European project. It would also fly completely in the face of what the EU has been saying the past three years.

Flex wrote: »
    I just cant see that happening; if the EU did that they would have just demonstrated to every small and medium sized member that if an external state begins agitating and targeting any specific member state, that the EU will capitulate and abandon that member to make the external state happy, in effect destroying the European project. It would also fly completely in the face of what the EU has been saying the past three years.

It would be more of a defensive position to protect the integrity of the single market.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IT issues for the UK government's Brexit Dept...

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1165247879147077634?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

It would be more of a defensive position to protect the integrity of the single market.

London Times reporting a plan for “mainland” police to be sent to the border to police it.

I mean, this is nuts.
    The whole idea behind the end of the RUC and the introduction of the PSNI and the move to get 50/50 recruits was based on the changes brought by the GFA - what must the recent recruits think of the situation?

• Advertisement

Boris has a fairly lame response to Tusk...
    Mr Johnson told reporters: “I have made it absolutely clear I don’t want a no-deal Brexit.

“But I say to our friends in the EU if they don’t want a no-deal Brexit then we have got to get rid of the backstop from the [existing withdrawal] treaty.

“If Donald Tusk doesn’t want to go down as ‘Mr No-Deal Brexit’ then I hope that point will be borne in mind by him too.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/brexit-boris-johnson-responds-to-tusk-s-mr-no-deal-jab-1.3996532

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Boris has a fairly lame response to Tusk...

Mr Johnson told reporters: “I have made it absolutely clear I don’t want a no-deal Brexit.

“But I say to our friends in the EU if they don’t want a no-deal Brexit then we have got to get rid of the backstop from the [existing withdrawal] treaty.

“If Donald Tusk doesn’t want to go down as ‘Mr No-Deal Brexit’ then I hope that point will be borne in mind by him too.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/brexit-boris-johnson-responds-to-tusk-s-mr-no-deal-jab-1.3996532

Does BJ miss the point with this childish retort?

On the 1st of November 2019, Mr Tusk will no longer be in his current position and will be replaced with Frau Selmeyer, and she will not be known as Mr Anything. However, BJ could well find the sobriquet of 'Mr No Deal' sticks to him for the rest of his sojurn in No 10.

Jizique wrote: »
    London Times reporting a plan for “mainland” police to be sent to the border to police it.
    Thought the UK said that they weren't going to have a border in NI

I mean, this is nuts.
    The whole idea behind the end of the RUC and the introduction of the PSNI and the move to get 50/50 recruits was based on the changes brought by the GFA - what must the recent recruits think of the situation?
    Would that be immigration / customs officers as opposed to police, do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sending English police to NI (if they are mad enough to go) would be a catastrophic mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

murphaph wrote: »
    Sending English police to NI (if they are mad enough to go) would be a catastrophic mistake.

With 205 "Official" crossings and nigh on 300 including every boreen that can can take a car, a truck or a tractor, just how many are they intending to send?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Inquitus wrote: »
    With 205 "Official" crossings and nigh on 300 including every boreen that can can take a car, a truck or a tractor, just how many are they intending to send?

300 Scots initially; met (London) police as well.
    Behind paywall so cant post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

300 Scots initially; met (London) police as well.
    Behind paywall so cant post

So not even enough to staff even a small fraction of those crossing effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Does BJ miss the point with this childish retort?

On the 1st of November 2019, Mr Tusk will no longer be in his current position and will be replaced with Frau Selmeyer, and she will not be known as Mr Anything. However, BJ could well find the sobriquet of 'Mr No Deal' sticks to him for the rest of his sojurn in No 10.

That pathetic responce from Boris basically sum's up the whole goverment there atm: Impotent, Ignorant and Incompetent. Only capable of talking shíte and blaming everyone else for their mistakes. They refuse to take responsibility for their own screw ups hence why the UK is heading the way of the Dinosaur at this rate.

Simple truth is that it's Britains choice to wreck it's own economy not the EU's, A no deal Brexit will be the fault of noone else but the conservatives for basically being ignorant gobshíte's and that's the only narrative that should be happening post Brexit: Hang those responsible for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bobbies policing South Armagh?

They really don't learn from history. Wasn't it Scottish regiments sent in when the troubles erupted? That didn't go so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Bobbies policing South Armagh?

They really don't learn from history. Wasn't it Scottish regiments sent in when the troubles erupted? That didn't go so well.

They should send the police from finchely to south armagh. Would feel right at home in around culloville and crossmaglen

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Donald Tusk will on November 1. be replaced by the (currently acting) Belgian PM Charles Michel as President of the EU Council.
    Charles Michel has been PM of Belgium for 5 years - he knows difficult politics.

Lars :)

PS!
    Juncker will on the same day be replaced by Ursula von der Leyen as President of the EU commission.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

reslfj wrote: »
    Donald Tusk will on November 1. be replaced by the (currently acting) Belgian PM Charles Michel as President of the EU Council.
    Charles Michel has been PM of Belgium for 5 years - he knows difficult politics.

Lars :)

PS!
    Juncker will on the same be replaced by Ursula von der Leyen as President of the EU commission.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

reslfj wrote: »

And by the way Mr Michel learned his English in Dublin.

Small world, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

It would happily stab you in the back if it felt that it was in its interest.

As opposed to the British who have stabbed us in the front, betrayed our good will, acted like ungrateful hooligans and still they cry persecution.

When is Britain ever going to take responsibility for its actions like a grown up country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

First Up wrote: »
    And by the way Mr Michel learned his English in Dublin.

Small world, isn't it?

'bleedin Backstop!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The part most amusing of all...of the EU came along on Monday and said Right Boris, here is the WA without the backstop and all EU27 have agreed to it, he’d poop his pants....it would be his worst nightmare to actually have to follow up on his bull**** that he can get HoC to accept it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

murphaph wrote: »

Exactly and would they be firearm trained and carrying a weapon? All PSNI officers are armed, but most UK mainland police aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I’ve been hearing this a lot lately from various people but can I ask how likely is it that a no deal brexit would trigger a recession in Ireland and trigger a negative knock on on property prices etc, is this just scaremongering or a legit concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Its more lightly that the tories will throw the dup under the bus than the EU throwing Ireland under the bus, the EU are hardly going to stab a member in the back to help a member who is leaving or whatever it is they are trying to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

MBSnr wrote: »
    Exactly and would they be firearm trained and carrying a weapon? All PSNI officers are armed, but most UK mainland police aren't.

This is a nonsense story. Almost a Brexiteer project fear. Looks like this is the latest strategy as they are also saying they will only pay 9bn as opposed to 39bn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

This is a nonsense story. Almost a Brexiteer project fear. Looks like this is the latest strategy as they are also saying they will only pay 9bn as opposed to 39bn

The Guardian originally ran the story in Jan 2019 saying officers will be trained after the PSNI asked for backup in case of no deal. Conceivably they could have been some training, so the story might have some validity.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/03/police-reinforcements-for-northern-ireland-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit-1000-officers-training-trouble-hard-border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭maebee

I mean, this is nuts.

If this is not going backwards, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Can someone please tell me why the EU dont call out the UK on some of the lies or even just state that they wont be talking to the UK again unless they stop making up stories and their press aren't taken to account on some of the horse sh*t they are publishing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me why the EU dont call out the UK on some of the lies or even just state that they wont be talking to the UK again unless they stop making up stories and their press aren't taken to account on some of the horse sh*t they are publishing ?

Why would they. It isn't changing anything and ultimately weakens the UK credibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement